By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Report: Manufacting contract awarded for external 360 Blu-ray drive

libellule said:
WHAT a bad move

It will underlign at which point the PS3 is complete while the xbox360 is not...

It will also show at which point they can't follow their line and they always have to copy others ...

If MS can't stop themselves to focus on Sony then consumers will also never stop to focus on Sony too.

It will actually just allow those of us who got burned by the HD-DVD add-on to finally have a Blu-ray movie add-on.

Around the Network

Sweet, I will most definitely get this if it happens. I told my wife to get me a PS3 for Christmas, but now I can belay that request. Excellent.

SpartanFX said:

oshiba-Samsung Storage Technology Corp, a joint venture between Samsung and Toshiba, has been contracted to manufacture external Blu-ray drives for Xbox 360.

the price is not certian yet but it will be around 150.00

P.S.this will be only for playing blu ray movies

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/08/report-manufacting-contract-awarded-for-external-360-blu-ray-drive/

The article states that MS is shooting for a $100-$150 price point.  $150 would likely be the worst case scenario.

Barozi said:

Staude said:

Yeah, and i chose to get my games on blu ray. Higher price, better quality. ;)

I hope this was a joke.

Staude said:

This ofcourse includes the hardware (that, you cannot deny if you look at the failure rates for each product)

When you talk about the hardware in connection with blu-ray you also can't deny the problems with SONY's drive in some PS3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIddCMEeElI

Feel free to add me as your friend-PSN ID: Bobo012893

matt247 said:
theprof00 said:
not going to happen, there is a price threshold that manufacturers of BR drives cannot cross.

price fixing is illegal

it isn't price fixing, it is anti-undercutting.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Staude said:

I hope this was a joke.

Staude said:

This ofcourse includes the hardware (that, you cannot deny if you look at the failure rates for each product)

When you talk about the hardware in connection with blu-ray you also can't deny the problems with SONY's drive in some PS3s

1. Well blu ray is scratch resistant isn't it ? when i say better quality i naturally meant the discs themselves. Takes more to destroy them or wear them.

2. That is nothing compaired to the problems with the xbox 360 which you could mention several different off, all within a much higher failure rate then their ps3 counterparts.

Check out my game about moles ^

theprof00 said:
matt247 said:
theprof00 said:
not going to happen, there is a price threshold that manufacturers of BR drives cannot cross.

price fixing is illegal

it isn't price fixing, it is anti-undercutting.

Since it is not a stand alone, I doubt there are any price restrictions.

loy310 said:
So that would bring the price of the 360 back up to the price of the PS3 again..

Wrong.....That would make the Xbox 360 the cheapest console Blu Ray player with a price tag around 300-350.

Then everyone buying a console for blu ray will buy a 360 for 200$ and buy a 100-150$ blu ray addon.

Staude said:
Barozi said:

Staude said:

I hope this was a joke.

Staude said:

1. Well blu ray is scratch resistant isn't it ? Well are they ? I have no idea. If so then good for all users. when i say better quality i naturally meant the discs themselves. Takes more to destroy them or wear them.

However I wasn't sure if you meant the discs or the games (which you mentioned the sentence before).

2. That is nothing compaired to the problems with the xbox 360 which you could mention several different off, all within a much higher failure rate then their ps3 counterparts.

I'm aware of the bigger problems in 360 drives. I just wanted to make clear that the disc drive and it's laser is the most vulnerable part of a PS3.

Well Microsoft did say if blu-ray won they'd simply make a blu-ray add on. So it doesn't surprise me if true.