By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Iron Man Breaks Blu-Ray Sales Records

I expect to see much better sales for Indiana Jones or the Dark Knight.

Iron Man success actually caught the studios off guard as Blue Ray were sold out at a lot of retail locations in my area and I had a hard time finding one.
I'm expecting future blockbusters releases adapt to this new sale pattern.

I woudn't expect Matrix to bread records.
It's one thing to get a new movie you don't own in Blue Ray, it's another to expect people to buy a Blue Ray when they already own the DVD...( only exception would be LOTR, I know there are a lot of crazy fans like me that will buy the Blue Ray the day they come but well I already have 3 dvd copies of each LOTR movies lol...)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Ahh...

Good job Iron Man.

Shush the Blu-ray haterz out there.

Dark Knight will be Blu Ray's Matrix.

MANUELF said:
Passenger57 said:
The problem with Blu-Ray is not the sales on big blockbuster action movies like this one, the problem their having is on sales of your everyday movie's i.e. comedies, animated film, etc.

What do you expect when the price of a blu-ray movie is 50% higher than the same movie on DVD?

if only HDDVD was chosen instead we wouldn't be having this conversation

Cueil said:
MANUELF said:
Passenger57 said:
The problem with Blu-Ray is not the sales on big blockbuster action movies like this one, the problem their having is on sales of your everyday movie's i.e. comedies, animated film, etc.

What do you expect when the price of a blu-ray movie is 50% higher than the same movie on DVD?

Sure we would.

You think the price difference is due to cost difference to make the discs ?

Think again, writable Blue Rays sells for less than 4$ to the public in Japan, it has to cost even less to the Blue Ray makers.

There are 2 factors :

- DVD price is going down
- Unwillingness of producers to drop the price of new format to the low level DVDs are now ( which are starting to be not sustainable for movie makers I would believe).

I would be surprised at this point if the cost difference to make a DVD or  Blue Ray was more than 3$ or so...........

Last I remember HD-DVD weren't much cheaper than Blue Ray when the war was still going on... HD-DVD prices only went down when the fire sale started after HD-DVD lost

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

That's what up...it certainly is worth every dime and penny for it to be on Blu-ray. It was the best summer movie until Dark Knight released that is....hehe

Cueil said:
MANUELF said:
Passenger57 said:

I'm confused.  You think that if HD-DVD won, out of the goodness of their hearts, movie studios would start releasing HD-DVD movies for dirt cheap?  Where was all this "generosity" when they (Toshiba and HD-DVD backers) needed it (the format war)?

Ah, but how well will it sell in Australia?

PSN - hanafuda

Passenger57 said:

Really? I think Animated films benefit greatly and look splendid on Blu-Ray, Ratatouille was the shiz

i own iron man on dvd and bluray, not gonna get the dark knight. because i thought it was very weak in story and i liked the 2 batman movies that tim burton directed better, just my opinon. i am getting transformers and the matrix movies on bluray next.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1