By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The DS, should I get one?

Im a stinge but I'm currently looking very seriously at buying a NDS but looking over the shelves around town (albeit - never at a dedicated games store) and my one main problem is that I can't find that many games that would interest me. 

So my question basically is, are there enough decent games to justify the purchase of a DS? If so what are they? 

Around the Network

Well, that depends - what games do you like?

Ahh, last handheld I owned was the GBC and my favourite games on it were the Zeldas (in particular Links Awakening) and one of the Dragon Warrior Monster games - but that was years ago so my tastes have changed a bit.
The most appealing games to me look to be LoZ:PH whenever it comes out and Super Mario 64. There are a few others I have seen that I like (such as Metroid Prime) but I havent really followed DS games at all so I have no idea about most of the other ones.

The DS is getting a lot of 3rd party support finally, Nintendo said at E3 there are I think 140 games coming out before the end of the year. Theres gotta be something there that would interest you.

Iff u like Zelda... Then u must obvious like Nintendo's games ...

DSlite = 149$... & worth it!...

Get games like:

New super mario bros.

Mario kart DS. (Online!)

Metroid prime hunters. (Online!)

Final fantasy 3.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl.

Ace attorney.

And there are many more games that u wil enjoy!

For Zelda on DS: Wait till ~September... It's coming. It has just recently been released in Japan... And it's selling like hot cakes!... Great game according to reviews: Famitsu gave it 39/40 Which is 10/10/9/10 or 9.75.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

If you are interested in PH and Mario64, you don't have much choice but to get a DS!

I really think the DS has great games for those 1/2-hour "pick up and play" sessions, especially between commutes. That's where I use the DS most.

About the games, these are ones I'd recommend (because I've tried them out/finished them and found them to be highly enjoyable, some borderlining addictive):

• Meteos: Fantastic block puzzle game, and really highlights the use of the stylus - you can play the game without the stylus, but you won't get anywhere near the scores you'd get with one.
  • Tetris: I'm pretty sick of the traditional Tetris (think first-generation) but the DS version has a few quirky and unique gameplay modes that keeps Tetris fresh
  • Elite Beat Agents: If you like music/rhythm games, this is a must! For import, Ouendan, although I found Ouendan to be far more difficult because I don't understand Japanese and the lyrics get in the way of the beats.
  • Mario Kart DS: If you have a couple of friends with DSes, multiplayer is fast, furious (and frequently frustrating but still) fun.
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Great platformer; I found it much more enjoyable than Super Mario DS. It was also the game that broke the DS (literally; my DS mainboard broke from pressing "Jump" too hard, too many times). I also think this one is better than Portrait of Ruin because PoR kinda "cheats" with the game's completion rate, but that's another story.
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike: I love turn-based strategy games (Civilization, UFO/X-COM) and this game gives me the fix I need. Also to keep in mind if you like this genre is that Civ is heading for the DS.
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time: Very enjoyable RPG. I liked it much more than Final Fantasy III for the DS.
  • Tony Hawk's American Sk8land: Very cool cel-shaded game that is easy to grasp but unfortunately a bit short. Otherwise, very fun and the punk skater music complements the game perfectly. 

I actually own pretty much all the "greens" from the Metacritic site ( http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/ ) but these are the ones I feel most people would enjoy without reservations.

Some other recommendations are a bit touch-and-go: You may like them, you may not, but this is very much dependent on the genre:

Point-and-click adventures (in the vein of Monkey Island or Space Quest):

• Phoenix Wright
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215

I've also heard that Planet Puzzle League is a blast. I plan to pick it up as soon as I finish Hotel Dusk.

Bleach is surprisingly a solid game as far as portable fighters go. I don't think it's available in English, though. Daigasso! Band Brothers is also a fun rhythm game but it's also in Japanese. However, neither game requires Japanese reading skills to play.

I have finished both Rub Rabbits (or whatever it's called) and Feel the Magic: XY/XX, which I thought was great for short bursts of playing but admittedly it's a very "Japanese-audience" game.

What the DS absolutely sucks at, up to now, is in driving games. Apart from Mario Kart DS, evrything else (Carbon, Ridge Racer, etc) are flat-out horrible IMO.

You can also pretty much forget about FPSs, although I've also heard Call of Duty on the DS is surprisingly fun and really pushes the envelope in terms of what the DS can do.

Anything else in particular I missed that you'd like to know? I've played well over 100 games on the DS - there are about 15 coworkers that have DSs and we constantly swap games so we have a good bit of DS mileage accumulated...

Get it. Best console ever made. Including home consoles... A game for anyone...

Don't get a DS. Get two. They are a blast to play Multiplayer games on. My kids play Mario Kart against each other. My son will lay up in his bed and play Pokemon Diamond against one of his friends and talk to him over WiFi while playing. I liked that. New Super Mario Bros. is fun and I loved all the Castevania games for the Advance and the DS. Zookeeper is an addictive 15 dollar game that is multiplayer. Metroid Prime Hunters is fun. My kids have 3 of the Nintendog games. I don't recommend them for an adult, but I have been known to pick it up and tinker with that from time to time. We took the games on the plane on the way to Disney World and the kids played nonstop. If you have the money the new DS lites are really nice, but you can get an old one pretty cheap at gamestop. The old screens are not near as brite as the Lite though. If you liked the Gameboy SP, then the DS offers all the the SP had and 100 percent on top of that. Most GB Advanced games are compatible, along with all the DS games. You should be able to find a bunch of games that will keep you entertained.

buy a ds.

I'm also thinking of getting a DSlite, hopefully I'll get one special edition with a Triforce on it when Phantom Hourglass comes out :)

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000