By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - would you buy a ps3 if it was around $300-350(no hdd)

Okay, got a question here. If the PS3 sold for $300 without an HDD, does that mean that it wouldn't have one included, but would still have space to install your own, or does it mean you'll never be able to put one in?

If it's the former, I probably would be willing to get a PS3 for $300, provided that I had $300

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
Okay, got a question here. If the PS3 sold for $300 without an HDD, does that mean that it wouldn't have one included, but would still have space to install your own, or does it mean you'll never be able to put one in?

If it's the former, I probably would be willing to get a PS3 for $300, provided that I had $300

You'd still need a hard drive for the games that require it so it's kind of a moot point anyway. No hard drive ability at all is suicide and an option to add your own at a later time wouldn't help much. In fact, it'd be two years too late (or longer, perhaps when they first decided to use Blu-ray).

How about a game that doesn't require an install, but still uses the hard drive, like Uncharted or Burnout? What happens then?

No HDD PS3=useless

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

I would buy one for $200 and just put in a different HD. I would be all over this.

If I already bought a PS3 first I can see myself buying a 360 for $200 to play some of the 360 exclusives... But going the other way and paying $400 is just too much money. The systems have too many games in common.

Around the Network

I wouldn't, and Sony wouldn't make a SKU like that

Then devs will start complaining like they have about the 360 not having an HDD as a standard.

No because I don't like the idea of not having a HDD.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Actually if it weren't for mandatory installs I would, If I could buy just a core PS3 for Blu-Ray and exclusives and use my Xbox for online games.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

No, without some hard drive the system would be useless.

Jo21 said:
De85 said:
Username2324 said:
Well with mandatory installs on a few games it's too late for this... Plus I don't see the point in buying a hdd separately, it'll only save a couple bucks and most people are too dumb to figure it out on their own.

This, though even with a HDD I"m holding out for ~$200.  My 360 satisfies my gaming needs, and there's no way in hell I'll pay over 200 for a Blu-Ray player.

a blu ray playerthat play games and a catalogue very similar to the 360, it gives more pack for the money you pay.

and a stand alone blu ray cheap ass blu ray player is 200$ right now.

That's exactly why I wouldn't buy one yet, I already own a 360 so the "similar catalogue" is already available to me.  

As for the Blu-ray player, $200 is the absolute maximum I would even consider paying, but that does not mean that once one is available for that amount I will line up to buy it.  I am also waiting for disc prices to come down significantly vs. DVD to make it worth my while.