By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Real Reason Blu-Ray is struggling to take market share.

I think that there were several mistakes made by Blu-Ray that would have made it a much more popular format for most people ...

To demonstrate what I mean consider how more and more people desire video on the go using an iPod (or another device); it would have been fairly easy for the format to support a (somewhat) secure transfer of a lower quality video (480p) from the Blu-Ray disc to a compatible player through USB. In reality, Blu-Ray offers no benefit to these users ...

Realistically, most consumers may not care about DRM but they do want the added convienience features which are (currently) not present in the Blu-Ray format. 

Around the Network

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread:

DVD and Blu-Ray also have to compete with something else that didn't exist when DVD got released: movie piracy. I don't have the figures but I wouldn't be surprised if piracy had a huge impact on DVD sales.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Everytime i hear someone say this i really wonder if they actually own a player.

LOOK ON AMAZON .....

They have prices that are very close to DVD....i never saw a movie for 40 bucks.........
example
http://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-movies-discs-store-deals/b/ref=amb_link_4545332_1?ie=UTF8&node=193640011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=1M1ZWBWJXZZ0702J024A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=447575801&pf_rd_i=130
there are no single movies for mor then 26.99.... peope are still thinking blu-rays are 40 bucks...... thats foolish i bought a smallville SEASON for 45 bucks........ get real.

XGamer0611 said:
xenophon13 said:
I bought Transformers at walmart for 19.99...all there blurays were that price. But yeah players are really expensive but lets see what happens at Christmas this year.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=blu+ray&search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&ref=501456.4292595695

That is why I put depending on the store. Most places don't sell at Wal-Mart prices. FYE has Transformers for $34.99.

Then your not a smart shopper.... if you look one place and give up... thats not to smart.... ive had BD since ps3 was released and NEVER have a bought a movie for 40 bucks

ps. i own over 100 BD movies and far more DVDs

Dno said:

Everytime i hear someone say this i really wonder if they actually own a player.

LOOK ON AMAZON .....

They have prices that are very close to DVD....i never saw a movie for 40 bucks.........
example
http://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-movies-discs-store-deals/b/ref=amb_link_4545332_1?ie=UTF8&node=193640011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=1M1ZWBWJXZZ0702J024A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=447575801&pf_rd_i=130
there are no single movies for mor then 26.99.... peope are still thinking blu-rays are 40 bucks...... thats foolish i bought a smallville SEASON for 45 bucks........ get real.

I meant general consumers. I would never or have ever paid $40 for a Blu-Ray movie. Most comsumers don't shop online. Online shopping is great and is used by most but not all.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
XGamer0611 said:
xenophon13 said:
I bought Transformers at walmart for 19.99...all there blurays were that price. But yeah players are really expensive but lets see what happens at Christmas this year.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=blu+ray&search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&ref=501456.4292595695

That is why I put depending on the store. Most places don't sell at Wal-Mart prices. FYE has Transformers for $34.99.

It's FYE.  The charge $34.99+ for practically everything. 

I think most people are content with DVD's.

If you don't have an HDTV, or even if you do but it's not particularly large and/or close to your couch, then the benefits of BluRay are zero.
And then there's just people who don't care that much.

They'll never reach market saturation only selling to videophiles.

Also, for some movies, there's no point in spending the extra money to get it in high def. Like comedies...

I don't think seeing Will Ferrell's butt in high def would make Old School any better.

afree_account said:
Also, for some movies, there's no point in spending the extra money to get it in high def. Like comedies...

I don't think seeing Will Ferrell's butt in high def would make Old School any better.

Agreed, 100%. Another thing is why are the comedies the same price as the action movies?

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

you should always check the blueray disc you are buying sometimes though output will be 1080p they were never remastered in 1080p, so what your getting is an upscaled version, granted generally a pretty damn good upscale, but not what you think your buying most of the cheaper blueray disks i have seen are this

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog