Sony's director of hardware marketing is unsure if it'll expand the user base.

Speaking to Gizmodo about Nintendo's newly announced DSi, Sony Computer Entertainment America director of hardware marketing John Koller has expressed a mixed opinion. On the one hand he seems to believe that the DSi is enough of an upgrade over the DS Lite, but on the other he's unsure if the new handheld will expand the DS user base beyond the under 12s.

"Nintendo has kind of a history of these [moderate] kinds of updates, and even with DS Lite, there was a lot of discussion, "Is that enough?" And they seemed to do pretty well there," Koller told the gadget blog.

"I can see the DSi being successful," he continued. "The DS lite was obviously very successful. Will DSi do well with [the DS's] demographic? It probably will. Will it be a product that expands their user base [beyond] under 12? I'm not sure."

The DSi is currently without a release date in Europe and North America. It will go on sale in Japan from November 1.

--------------------------------------------------

well i had a ds on launch got shut of it, recently bought one for my son and cant find any suitible games for him or for me for that matter, so the dsi is out of the scene for me anyways.

will you be buying one? i think its a good bit of kit, i can recall the gameboy pocket camera which was good fun in them days and surely the dsi will be a success.