By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BluRay struggling to take off [Article]

there is no way it will not pick up.

if dvd managed to get where it is blu ray will.

blu ray is just beginning to pick up like the DVD it, since HD TV are not widely spread yet it will take a while.

Around the Network
cwbys21 said:
Struggling economy + new, high priced technology = slow sales? who would have guessed. Seriously, I have a blu ray player and a ps3, and I can tell the difference so it is worth the extra $5 for the blu ray movie to me. I know the companies want to make their billions back and all, but if they want it to take off they need a lower price, and an incentive. For example, release The Dark Knight a week early on blu ray so that people who want the movie go blu ray over dvd. Or maybe Wall-E or some other summer block buster that I can't think of right now. Personally I don't buy as many movies as I used to but I will be getting some this holiday, but there just ins't the line of huge hits that would push the technology. We got Wall-E, Dark Knight, and what? I will be getting Narnia on blu ray but I doubt most will.

Ironman, Hulk, Hancock, etc...basically all the big blockbusters are now day and date with the DVD release, this is the first time it's happened and earlier this month was the 1st time that all major and mini major studios had released at least 1 BD movie.

73 Million pieces of Bluray software left out?

NM, what matters is that the 2% (world) and 5% (US) cost only marginally more to produce and provide much more profit.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

kitler53 said:

i've said it before and i'll say it again...i'm just not interested in disc-based format. i need more benifits then just picture quality from my next format.

Where you ever interested in a disc-based format?  I think that most people who currently purchase DVDs to own will move on to Bluray as prices drop (whenever that is).  Digital distribution of movies so far is great for rentals, not great for purchase.  In other words, it'll replace Blockbuster, not the movie section at Best Buy.  In fact, does anyone know where I can download HD movies to keep?  I know that itunes let's you buy movies, but only at 640x480 resolution.

scottie said:
cwbys21 - I would also probably pay $5 extra, but in Australia it's more like $10 difference on the rrp, with dvd's going on sale more often. For a 6 month old movie it's probably $15 for dvd or $30 for blu ray

In America new releases are $5 more, I don't know about old releases as I rarely look to compare prices and if I am interested I already have it.

@fila

yeah, how could I forget about Iron Man, it just released.  I'm sure it sold decently on blu ray.  I am unsure about Hancock and Hulk though for blu ray.  I didn't see anymovies this year in theatres (thought about Narnia and Wall-E, never got around to it) so I don't know if those are the type to move blu ray sales, Hancock definately doesn't seem like the kind.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
A bit off topic but I find it strange that all movies in Thailand are now on Blue Ray (or atleast 80% of them).

Probably because if they sold DVDs they would be pirated?

Tease.

bobobologna said:
kitler53 said:

i've said it before and i'll say it again...i'm just not interested in disc-based format. i need more benifits then just picture quality from my next format.

Where you ever interested in a disc-based format? I think that most people who currently purchase DVDs to own will move on to Bluray as prices drop (whenever that is). Digital distribution of movies so far is great for rentals, not great for purchase. In other words, it'll replace Blockbuster, not the movie section at Best Buy. In fact, does anyone know where I can download HD movies to keep? I know that itunes let's you buy movies, but only at 640x480 resolution.

Not only that, but the DRM for movies is ridiculous, the only time I've seen a DRM on any digital download media that's somewhat fair is Sony's PSN games DRM where you can download it on 5 different machines and unlimited times on that machine and if you deactivate your account on 1 machine then you get to download it on another machine. DRM on music and movies is completely stupid, I wouldn't mind renting some movies if the download didn't take forever and I had more than 1 day to watch the movie and I had a monthly subscription fee, I also don't buy MP3s because of the DRM, maybe if/when MS or Sony releases a download music store they'll be smart to sell the MP3s DRM free, don't nobody want that shit on their MP3 files.

cwbys21 said:
scottie said:
cwbys21 - I would also probably pay $5 extra, but in Australia it's more like $10 difference on the rrp, with dvd's going on sale more often. For a 6 month old movie it's probably $15 for dvd or $30 for blu ray

In America new releases are $5 more, I don't know about old releases as I rarely look to compare prices and if I am interested I already have it.

@fila

yeah, how could I forget about Iron Man, it just released. I'm sure it sold decently on blu ray. I am unsure about Hancock and Hulk though for blu ray. I didn't see anymovies this year in theatres (thought about Narnia and Wall-E, never got around to it) so I don't know if those are the type to move blu ray sales, Hancock definately doesn't seem like the kind.

The 2 big movies this year for BD are TDK and Ironman, it's always worse for BD when it's a kid's movie (WallE, Narnia) or a chick flick (Made of Honor, Sex and the City), Hancock and Hulk appeal to the BD demographics so they should do good numbers. I'm also looking forward to Pineapple Express, Stepbrothers and Tropic Thunder, but again the movies are too expensive to warrant a purchase, there are only certain movies that I would pay $30 for, and one of them I'll buy the trilogy as soon as I get some time (Godfather).

Typical Australian newspaper not knowing what they are talking about. Blu-Ray sales are on par with early DVD sales were in comparison to VHS sales. Introduction period slow sales gradually picks up in momentum as time goes by. Blu-Ray has been available for only two years or something now.
Blu-Rays will go down in price as production costs decrease and supply increases. Prices of Blu-Rays and Blu-Ray players will fall as technology improves. Price drop would increase sales.

you need to look around town if you are paying $30 for a blu ray. Walmart sells new releases for $25. If you want extras for a new dvd it is $20 and without extras it is $13-15. Then again, I don't pay sales tax and you might be rounding up.

bobobologna said:
kitler53 said:

Where you ever interested in a disc-based format?  I think that most people who currently purchase DVDs to own will move on to Bluray as prices drop (whenever that is).  Digital distribution of movies so far is great for rentals, not great for purchase.  In other words, it'll replace Blockbuster, not the movie section at Best Buy.  In fact, does anyone know where I can download HD movies to keep?  I know that itunes let's you buy movies, but only at 640x480 resolution.

when dvd first came out...yeah i was interested in disc.  vs. VHS it had all kinds of great features like not having to rewind, commentary, smaller shelf size, and i was tired to the VCR eating my tapes all the time.  in complete honesty...i never noticed the upgrade in picture/sound quality. 

yes, i do relize HD has a better picture then dvd and no - i don't really care.  i want the same conviences i get with my music now: can travel with my entire library (can you imagine going on a plane with several hundred CDs? eww), search functions for finding the specific song i want, and the practically non-existant storage space (i have 3 bookshelves of dvds atm and will need a 4th soon,...it's pissing me off how much space i'm committing to dvds).

blu ray doesn't give me any functional improvements...and therefore i simply don't care to spend any money "upgrading" to blu-ray.  more money per disc and a several hundred dollar player just means less money to buy things i actually want.