By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SOE: All future MMOGs console-bound

ROFLOL...I'm in POTBS now, but sony doesn't have any MMOs to compete with the heavy hitters coming out.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

this could sell PS3's

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

heruamon said:
ROFLOL...I'm in POTBS now, but sony doesn't have any MMOs to compete with the heavy hitters coming out.

Never heard of Everquest? Not as big as WoW or Guild Wars, sure, but it's pretty fucking big and has a rabid fanbase.

OT, SCE better have a damn good plan for MMOG on the PS3, no one is gonna pay 15 bucks for every MMOG, this ain't PC, that business model WILL NOT work on consoles, maybe a flat fee for you to play ALL MMOGs on the PS3, ideally it'd be free.

axumblade said:

I think it would be fair to charge 15 bucks a month for access to all games purchased. But then again, it's very x-box liveish, so I'm not sure if they'd go for it.

That would be acceptable if it's for all games, if it's per game, then it won't work.

axumblade said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
axumblade said:

I think it would be fair to charge 15 bucks a month for access to all games purchased. But then again, it's very x-box liveish, so I'm not sure if they'd go for it.

That would be acceptable if it's for all games, if it's per game, then it won't work.

I think we're on the same page here. I think there will be the initial fee for the disk but then the $15 will cover whatever games they have.

Devs are free to charge what they want.  Blizzard could put WoW on for $10/month, SOE can choose whatever pricing structure it wants.

Maybe a lower % of console players would want to pay per month for one game, but if you get a few hundred thousand going for a PC/PS3 game, worth it.  PS3 MMOGs have the potential to be very big.

MS may have to cave on its online control/charging scheme in order to steal/keep up with online games on the PSN soon.

Around the Network

Oh, and also, it is RIDICULOUS that the PS3 doesn't have 3+ MMOs (premium, charge-per-month) already in full swing, with 1 of them released shortly after the launch of the PS3.  

Way to drop the ball, guys.  You announced the flexibility and freedom of the PSN for MMOGs, then didn't actually develop any for the PS3.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Oh, and also, it is RIDICULOUS that the PS3 doesn't have 3+ MMOs (premium, charge-per-month) already in full swing, with 1 of them released shortly after the launch of the PS3.

Way to drop the ball, guys. You announced the flexibility and freedom of the PSN for MMOGs, then didn't actually develop any for the PS3.

I think they have one, it's a 2D free game with no charges, it can be dowloaded off the Japanese store.
I'm really hoping for no fees for MMOGs though, there are plenty I wanna play

axumblade said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Way to drop the ball, guys. You announced the flexibility and freedom of the PSN for MMOGs, then didn't actually develop any for the PS3.

I think they have one, it's a 2D free game with no charges, it can be dowloaded off the Japanese store.

I'm thinking Free Realms might be free or relatively cheap. I could see them charging for DC and The Agency and the NCSoft games....and the other SOE games of the future. ;)

Free Realms won't be a free game, I'm talking about a free download MMO (I think it's called Angel Online or something).

They already said Free Realms will have the option of being free or you can pay for some perks and no ads. They have individual and family pricing plans for those that wanna go that route. Too bad it's a MMO that I have absolutely no interest in, now if that was MAG....

FilaBrasileiro said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

But if you want to play great MMOGs you need to pay fees. The difference of quality between p2p MMOs and free MMOs is gigantic.

I'd like to see some amazing FREE MMO's from them, but I think that there will be fee's in the future for quite a few, if not most.

4 ≈ One