By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Countering Piracy aka Publishers Are Morons

twesterm said:
code.samurai said:
twesterm said:
code.samurai said:
^ I expect them to redirect their efforts give the customer move value for the buck rather than add barbed wires. Because, you know, people usually don't like barbed wires.

Oh and you weren't getting them for free, but you already know that.

You do know free means not paying anything right?  At least that's what I assumed it meant because that's how I use to get my music from Napster before those other silly programs I use to use...

And you didn't answer my question: do you expect them to stop all efforts against piracy?

Or better yet, what do you expect them to do?  Not everbody can make their own Steam and not everyone wants to even use Steam.

Also, just to be clear, things like Spore's DRM main purpose isn't to stop the people from torrenting because we all know it just doesn't, what it does is keep you from installing it and then handing it to a buddy.  The majority of people that complain about it don't even ever install the game more than 3 (or 5 now) times, they just complain because it's the popular thing to do.

Oh I'm sorry, I just assumed you weren't an idiot.  You do know that copying music without paying means you're pirating them right?  Or is that too small scale to count?  The point is you got your music legally after you found the alternative to be reasonable.  I was trying to make a point comparing that to the guys in #2 and #3, that when they can get their games at a price they can accept they will rather buy them.

I don't expect the companies to do anything, but I do want them to give everyone a better price point that will serve theirs as well as our interests.  Perhaps I should send the CEO an email with the subject "Win-Win Situation," thats an upper management term but you might also know about it.

Did I ever say that I've never pirated music or anything?  I wasn't aware that I've ever said that on this site.  But hey, congratulations on insulting a mod and getting yourself a warning.  Thumbs up to you.

Did you miss my post earlier where I said every cent is accounted for and games are that expensive for a reason?  Games take a lot of money to make and they need to be $60 if the developers even want to break even.

D'oh a mod.  I guess I should have been nicer.

No I didn' t miss that, but you probably missed a couple of my arguments on making up for the reduced price on volume.

Around the Network
code.samurai said:
twesterm said:
code.samurai said:
twesterm said:
code.samurai said:
^ I expect them to redirect their efforts give the customer move value for the buck rather than add barbed wires. Because, you know, people usually don't like barbed wires.

Oh and you weren't getting them for free, but you already know that.

You do know free means not paying anything right?  At least that's what I assumed it meant because that's how I use to get my music from Napster before those other silly programs I use to use...

And you didn't answer my question: do you expect them to stop all efforts against piracy?

Or better yet, what do you expect them to do?  Not everbody can make their own Steam and not everyone wants to even use Steam.

Also, just to be clear, things like Spore's DRM main purpose isn't to stop the people from torrenting because we all know it just doesn't, what it does is keep you from installing it and then handing it to a buddy.  The majority of people that complain about it don't even ever install the game more than 3 (or 5 now) times, they just complain because it's the popular thing to do.

Oh I'm sorry, I just assumed you weren't an idiot.  You do know that copying music without paying means you're pirating them right?  Or is that too small scale to count?  The point is you got your music legally after you found the alternative to be reasonable.  I was trying to make a point comparing that to the guys in #2 and #3, that when they can get their games at a price they can accept they will rather buy them.

I don't expect the companies to do anything, but I do want them to give everyone a better price point that will serve theirs as well as our interests.  Perhaps I should send the CEO an email with the subject "Win-Win Situation," thats an upper management term but you might also know about it.

Did I ever say that I've never pirated music or anything?  I wasn't aware that I've ever said that on this site.  But hey, congratulations on insulting a mod and getting yourself a warning.  Thumbs up to you.

Did you miss my post earlier where I said every cent is accounted for and games are that expensive for a reason?  Games take a lot of money to make and they need to be $60 if the developers even want to break even.

D'oh a mod.  I guess I should have been nicer.

No I didn' t miss that, but you probably missed a couple of my arguments on making up for the reduced price on volume.

Fair enough

nitekrawler1285 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
DKII said:
That doesn't mean games aren't overpriced from a consumer standpoint, it just means developers are spending too much making the games.

HD graphics cost a shit ton of money to make.

Not all games have to push the most polygons and have high resolution textures to be hits. Ask Nintendo.  Developers just choose to do so ignoring customer demands for a fun product and inflating developement costs for themselves.  If they don't learn to change their developement proccesses then they wont have to worry about it once they have closed their doors because they didn't  get large enough returns on their investment.

Low profile graphics only work for the wii and the digital distribution networks. Disc based games with crappy graphics get lambasted by reviews and end up hurting in sales. Up to a certain point it's a better investment (on the HD twins) to bank on graphics and a high price rather than low-fi and budget prices.

Frankly, it's appaling how some of you are pretending to tell them how to run their business just to justify stealing. If you think the vast majority of people hooked on the .25c / game torrented piñata are gonna start buying in droves at 40$, you are sorely mistaken. Only people who BUY games have their decisions impacted by price of the product. People who STEAL don't care about the price sticker. It's been proven over and over.

If someone was stealing your product and had the balls to go tell you how to run your business, what would your reaction be? So far there is NO argument at all justifying piracy that can't be broken down into basically "I am doing it, I like doing it and I want to keep doing it".

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Maybe my point got overlooked, but one of the targets of the anti-piracy bandwagon is also the used game market. Companies need to protect their products, but implementing things like restrictive DRM under the veil of piracy prevention is unacceptable.

This is slightly different for consoles because piracy prevention should be up to the console manufacturer and as a most part the 2 of the big 3 have been doing a pretty good job to target video game pirates.

You might want to read this one: http://www.ninjapirate.com/content.php?f=spore.html

Pretty funny if you ask me.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Around the Network

Pretty boring I thought gazz.

And if you are going to reduce price on a game, you need to sell a lot more copies of the game to make the same amount of money. Think about gta san andreas. If they had released that game at half price from the begining, they would have needed to sell 30 million copies to get the same amount of money. Do you really think 30 million people would have wanted to play that game? I sure as hell don't, especially since it has been at $20 for forever now and it didn't get a huge sales boost.

Bitmap Frogs said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

Not all games have to push the most polygons and have high resolution textures to be hits. Ask Nintendo.  Developers just choose to do so ignoring customer demands for a fun product and inflating developement costs for themselves.  If they don't learn to change their developement proccesses then they wont have to worry about it once they have closed their doors because they didn't  get large enough returns on their investment.

Low profile graphics only work for the wii and the digital distribution networks. Disc based games with crappy graphics get lambasted by reviews and end up hurting in sales. Up to a certain point it's a better investment (on the HD twins) to bank on graphics and a high price rather than low-fi and budget prices.

Frankly, it's appaling how some of you are pretending to tell them how to run their business just to justify stealing. If you think the vast majority of people hooked on the .25c / game torrented piñata are gonna start buying in droves at 40$, you are sorely mistaken. Only people who BUY games have their decisions impacted by price of the product. People who STEAL don't care about the price sticker. It's been proven over and over.

If someone was stealing your product and had the balls to go tell you how to run your business, what would your reaction be? So far there is NO argument at all justifying piracy that can't be broken down into basically "I am doing it, I like doing it and I want to keep doing it".

I think someone has been learning how to paraphrase and is doing it wrong.  Listen, this is not a pro-piracy thread.  Are you still sore from our argument the other day?  Anyway I just had to butt in because I would like to point out that MMORPGs are mostly flourishing from oh a couple of bucks here and there.  Nothing much.  And you're still missing the point, piracy will always be present but the people who support it will consider something legal if it's affordable.  Why are you so damn adamant on keeping the regular folks away from HD content?  Are you one of those guys who thinks just because you can afford the high price on a regular basis it means you're special?  That's quite sad.

Anyway to close this, the Publishers are reacting incorrectly to piracy and used-game-afficionados.  Many people go to stores and scoff at the prices of HD games, these guys are like you and me only they just don't like paying too much for something that they think is over-priced.  While it may or may not be overpriced seems to still be a matter of opinion (some people just don't have anything better to buy with extra cash I guess) it still remains that the general market does not think that the current pricing of games is a reasonable expense.  And if it's true that Sony and Microsoft are selling their systems at a loss and is making up for it in terms of software sales, boost of their software sales would also boost the popularity of their system.  It's a vicious cycle you see.  It's not really that new.

code.samurai said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

I think someone has been learning how to paraphrase and is doing it wrong.  Listen, this is not a pro-piracy thread.  Are you still sore from our argument the other day?  Anyway I just had to butt in because I would like to point out that MMORPGs are mostly flourishing from oh a couple of bucks here and there.  Nothing much.  And you're still missing the point, piracy will always be present but the people who support it will consider something legal if it's affordable.  Why are you so damn adamant on keeping the regular folks away from HD content?  Are you one of those guys who thinks just because you can afford the high price on a regular basis it means you're special?  That's quite sad.

Anyway to close this, the Publishers are reacting incorrectly to piracy and used-game-afficionados.  Many people go to stores and scoff at the prices of HD games, these guys are like you and me only they just don't like paying too much for something that they think is over-priced.  While it may or may not be overpriced seems to still be a matter of opinion (some people just don't have anything better to buy with extra cash I guess) it still remains that the general market does not think that the current pricing of games is a reasonable expense.  And if it's true that Sony and Microsoft are selling their systems at a loss and is making up for it in terms of software sales, boost of their software sales would also boost the popularity of their system.  It's a vicious cycle you see.  It's not really that new.

Close it my ass. You pretend to be all savvy and talking about things should be done leveraging the fact that the whole industry is subject to a massive stealing, everyday, through the net. This is akin as telling someone how he should do things just because you are clubbing him to death and using the fact that you are allowed to maul him as a justification for your arguments.

Piracy hurts and it hurts the most the small guy. Big exes always will have a job managing content libraries and shareholders will always profit from that but it's the small guys who make a living out of content creation who get the worst deal. Piracy deincentivates investment into new content because profitability has gone way down.

Your arguments crash because as time goes by people are dropping alltogether their spending on pirateable products and replacing it with stacks of fresh DVD's. To most people it's not about "hey, I used to buy 5 movies a year, now I'll still buy 5 and pirate 100". They eventually switch to 100% free-for-all p2p action.

Your whole argument boils to "hey, people can get games for free! if the companies do what I tell them to do, they'll stop doing it". But that's bollocks. HD games cost that much because all it's left for the companies is milking the people that still buy games. Viva Piñata released at 40$, where are the massive sales? Banjo will debut at 40$, you think it'll sell to the torrent crowd? The 360 has a large library of discounted games, how come those aren't hitting the top of the lists? Here's a hint: because once you get used to paying 0.25c for a game, you aren't gonna pay 10$. The music industry has been dealing with this ever since the 90's. And sure, iTunes works well - but it's nowhere near making up for the differences in revenue from before the p2p days.

And frankly, tell me since when stealing something you can't afford is kosher. Everyone wants a porsche or a ferrari, how come there aren't people assaulting the vendors? because jacking a car gets you in the jail. This just about consecuence-free stealing - that's the only reason this thing got big. Everything else is just chatter.

The day someone breaks into your house and get your flat tv stolen I hope the thief later phones you to tell you how it was his right to steal your TV because he can't buy one.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

cwbys21 said:
Pretty boring I thought gazz.

And if you are going to reduce price on a game, you need to sell a lot more copies of the game to make the same amount of money. Think about gta san andreas. If they had released that game at half price from the begining, they would have needed to sell 30 million copies to get the same amount of money. Do you really think 30 million people would have wanted to play that game? I sure as hell don't, especially since it has been at $20 for forever now and it didn't get a huge sales boost.

Yes and clearly you're the king of excitement.  There will be games that deserve the $60 price tag, but as you should know a lot of the games today don't and those are the games that should not cost as much.  There seems to be a market for partial games, as there is for Music Singles.  For games just look at GT5 Prologue.  They can also pursue that avenue, release a lower cost version that has only 30% of the content for the full version.  There are lots of stuff they can try and perhaps they have started trying just look at the popularity of the downloadable games from all three platforms.

largedarryl said:
Maybe my point got overlooked, but one of the targets of the anti-piracy bandwagon is also the used game market. Companies need to protect their products, but implementing things like restrictive DRM under the veil of piracy prevention is unacceptable.

This is slightly different for consoles because piracy prevention should be up to the console manufacturer and as a most part the 2 of the big 3 have been doing a pretty good job to target video game pirates.

Yeah DRM is a barbed wire designed to irritate their paying customers, whoever thought of it should be hanged.  If you look closely all attempts at DRM have backfired, people see it as an anti-feature one that they can live without.  It may actually be promoting the tech savy folks to turn to piracy to get a better version.  Score one more point for the marketing geniuses and executives, good job assholes!