By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Here we go again, Dow plunges

konnichiwa said:
Ugh now it has affected me aswell because one bank stocks price dropped so fucking hard around here. That I have even lost some money around 5.000 Euro to be exact X_X.

fortis.....

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Ail said:

It shoudn't impact most of the major games we buy.

I could be wrong but I don't think the major publishers ( Activision, EA, THQ, Take Two, Ubisoft ) actually resort to credit much to finance their project .

Activision has no debt, neither does Take Two. If credit was used to finance projects at those company you would expect them to have some debts..

Further, games development will not be significantly impacted by short term market movement, even if they are extreme movement.  If the market is in bad shape for over a year game devs may take fewer risks on new development, but for the industry to make even a 50% change, it would take more than a year of bad market. 

Even in that case, you'd expect more of the shovelware to die down than the quality and good selling games.  Things that sell well will continue to be produced.

You also need to realize that games are very inexpensive.  An average gamer probably spends $1000 or less on gaming a year -- very low compared to an average middle-class entertainment budget.  That's only a couple of tickets to football games, for example, one semi-decent dinner a month for a couple. 

Video games aren't cars -- they're cheap.

Throw out that middle-class entertainment budget stuff out the window. The consumer model is going to change significantly. The market failing is just the first symptom of a bad economy.

Video games are completely discretionary. Without consumers buying on credit, that takes a huge number of game sales off the table. In additional, retailers will stock fewer games since they don't have to credit to buy more games.

Video games may be cheap, but used games are even cheaper. Why buy a $60 game today when I can wait a couple months and buy it for $30? That is the kind of thinking a consumer is going to have in a bad economy.

souixan said:
masschamber said:
Vertigo-X said:
So, do you guys believe the Democrats' accusations that the conservative Republicans are the ones at fault? I wonder if there ever was a 'Politics' game... o_0

Yes, unfortunately, this will have a bad effect on video game sales. I still think Wii will lead the pack, but only by a shadow of what it could be.

any one with any good sense know it is the people the over borrowed or defaulted on loans over the years that are responsible for this,

I remember my aunt's idiot rich friends bragging about how they all defaulted on their student loans years ago, idiots they should all be forced to work in salt mines or some other terrible job,

coupled with the crappy performance of government sponsored corporations like Freddie mac and fannia mae and finally good old fashion panicing or selfish lemmings (think the stock market crash part of It's a wonderful life), they contributed a whole lot the stock market crash of '29, they caused the asian market crashes, and they're not helping here either

Actually I also blame the republicans who have touted de-regulation since the days of Reagan and so far all de-regulation has done was make trouble. First they messed with american unions and many union jobs died and were replaced by 'scab' outfits that pay half as much in wages with no real competitive safety standard and no benefits.

De-regulation is as much at fault here as the dishonest people.

The money and credit crunch I blame partly on job exporting creating lower numbers of middle class and more people needing credit just to make due. 159,000 jobs in America lost in September, where did they go? Care to take a guess the answer is China or India? The republican government as of now has done absolutely nothing to protect American jobs and in fact has shown it even likes to pay it's troops less by attempting to cut their supply, benefits and pay. (We have had democratic congress and senate for 2 years but Bush has also effectively vetoed much of what he didn't want)

It should also be stressed not everybody was trying to take advantage of the system. In the wake of nobody watching them they wrote in many things Balloon payments, raising interest rates to insane degrees after a certain point of time. This is as much, if not more, the banks faults then the people defaulting. Lending 9 dollars for every 1 you have is pure insanity there IS a breaking point and these guys should have known it.

laywers and unions hardly helped if your going to go into jobs leaving the country, massive overhead is one of the biggest reason for taking jobs out of america, unions and lawyers are the biggest cause of the massive over head, genrally 5 to 10 times  the workers salary, in China or India

, and the regulated economy wasn't working well in the 70's before Reagan,

plus your toting the broken ideology of individuals can't take care of themselves, the defaulter is always the most calpable for their actions, if everyone paid their debts and didn't over borrow they'd be fine

frankly I think George Soros and Warren Buffet have a hand in the current situation as well, since both of them want to rule to world

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

axumblade said:
I blame it on a lot of Americans don't feel they need to take responsibility and be held accountable for what they have done.

Hey wtf? GO #$%^ yourslef dude

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

axumblade said:
I blame it on a lot of Americans don't feel they need to take responsibility and be held accountable for what they have done.

Yes, especially those at the tops.  Why don't we start with those bank CEOs and our own policy makers who put greed before the common sense.

We seens this happen before in the 80's during Reagan when we let Saving & Loan deregulated which let to huge banking meltdown result in billions of dollars bailout by tax payers.  This is no difference just in a larger scale. California deregulated electricity back in the 90's and look what happen , same thing, disaster.

I am all for free market economy and less government but sometimes there are certain things that need to be regulated.  When it come to money never underestimate the power of greed and hope that people at the top will do "the right thing".

Yes, the blame is on those who are championing all the non-sensical deregulations and many of those are Republicans.

To those that want to the blame on homeowners who borrow more than they suppose to, well yes they are to blame but really if someone give you "free money" would you have said no?  People judgement became clouded and many of those have little or no knoledge of how financial work.  Some can barely balance their own checkbooks.  But yet government allow all these "investment loan" company to go out and target these people to lend money to with little or no oversight.   Are they to blame , yes they are part of the problems, but the larger problems was all the lack in rule and regulations that were in place to prevent this type of lending in the first place.

Around the Network
Everstar said:
axumblade said:

save that for yourself .........errr you probably don't know what saving means

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

FishyJoe said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Ail said:

It shoudn't impact most of the major games we buy.

I could be wrong but I don't think the major publishers ( Activision, EA, THQ, Take Two, Ubisoft ) actually resort to credit much to finance their project .

Activision has no debt, neither does Take Two. If credit was used to finance projects at those company you would expect them to have some debts..

Further, games development will not be significantly impacted by short term market movement, even if they are extreme movement.  If the market is in bad shape for over a year game devs may take fewer risks on new development, but for the industry to make even a 50% change, it would take more than a year of bad market. 

Even in that case, you'd expect more of the shovelware to die down than the quality and good selling games.  Things that sell well will continue to be produced.

You also need to realize that games are very inexpensive.  An average gamer probably spends $1000 or less on gaming a year -- very low compared to an average middle-class entertainment budget.  That's only a couple of tickets to football games, for example, one semi-decent dinner a month for a couple. 

Video games aren't cars -- they're cheap.

Throw out that middle-class entertainment budget stuff out the window. The consumer model is going to change significantly. The market failing is just the first symptom of a bad economy.

Video games are completely discretionary. Without consumers buying on credit, that takes a huge number of game sales off the table. In additional, retailers will stock fewer games since they don't have to credit to buy more games.

Video games may be cheap, but used games are even cheaper. Why buy a $60 game today when I can wait a couple months and buy it for $30? That is the kind of thinking a consumer is going to have in a bad economy.

Credit isn't as widely used in the rest of the world as in the US ( not everyone is as stupid thank god, I mean how many brain cells do you need to carry a balance on a credit card with 18% APR ???) especially in Europe so customer spending shoudn't decline as sharply there.

In some part of the world people actually know what the word 'savings' mean...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Everstar said:
axumblade said:

he's right to blame it on American's that were careless with their finances are responsible by and large, those of us that did pay our debt and didn't over borrow are paying for the other American's slefishness

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everstar said:
Man wtf lol. I dont know much about all this stuff but what is going on i know its somehting about credit but i dont get it =/

Maybe these stick figures can help.

Quick !! Let's PANIC !!!!