By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Microsoft so eager to win Sony?

Microsoft is marketing on Pc industry,at least started with that.Now it has come down to console markets

Sony have been on console market far more than Microsoft.Sony also makes Lcd,cameras and all kind of crazy stuff.

So why did Microsoft came and tried to win Sony at Xbox vs Ps2 time?There was no need,it woulnd't bring more customers to Microsoft,most of people who has Pc has already Windows.Now it has been saying more than once:We will sell more Xbox 360:s than Sony does ps3:s.

Dont get it.Sony has reason to sell Ps3:It will bring more customers,coz when you buy Ps3 you will most likely buy LCD,and maybe you will pick Sonys.Ofc they want to make money on PS3 alone...

This is just my opinion.Im not expert so ingore me if you found this text stupid.

Why is Microsoft so eager to win Sony?

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

Your argument is quite full of holes and humorous. I'll just point out some obvious blunders on your part:

MS decided to join the gaming console industry to crack there way into the household living room. The xbox 360 is as much a media hub as it is a gaming console.

"There was no need?" No need for what? Competition? There is no rules against MS joining the console market. Ford and Toyota can join the console market if they wanted to.

Every corporations duty is to its shareholders, if they deem a project as a proper move for the company's future, it will happen. That's why MS has a reason to sell xbox 360s.

And it is foolish to assume because people go buy a ps3, they are going to go out and by all sony brands from then on.

ymeaga1n said:

Your argument is quite full of holes and humorous. I'll just point out some obvious blunders on your part:

MS decided to join the gaming console industry to crack there way into the household living room. The xbox 360 is as much a media hub as it is a gaming console.

"There was no need?" No need for what? Competition? There is no rules against MS joining the console market. Ford and Toyota can join the console market if they wanted to.

Every corporations duty is to its shareholders, if they deem a project as a proper move for the company's future, it will happen. That's why MS has a reason to sell xbox 360s.

And it is foolish to assume because people go buy a ps3, they are going to go out and by all sony brands from then on.

"MS decided to join the gaming console industry to crack there way into the household living room. The xbox 360 is as much a media hub as it is a gaming console."

DVD-player.Not so much a medua hub.

"Every corporations duty is to its shareholders, if they deem a project as a proper move for the company's future, it will happen. That's why MS has a reason to sell xbox 360s."

Good point.

"And it is foolish to assume because people go buy a ps3, they are going to go out and by all sony brands from then on."

No its not. I have had only Nokias cell phone and Lg:s Pc stuff.I also have Sonys Lcd.

Im no expert so just ingore me if I write something stupid.

That's because Sony would disrupt home PC market and M$ with Playstation. Xbox was supposed to be a pre-emptive strike against Playstation, that's why M$ could put so much money into the Xbox, which was a complete failure.

Now that Nintendo have "found" internet, and apparently knows how to use it, M$ have faced another threat from Nintendo. At the moment, Wii doesn't really pose a threat to M$, due to small internal storage, but N6 may be a different matter. Basically opening Wii to external HDD:s would change the situation completely.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I think it was also b/c MS felt windows gaming was threatened by the PS2, so they figure they needed to snatch back a slice of the gaming pie however they can.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Around the Network
chenguo4 said:
I think it was also b/c MS felt windows gaming was threatened by the PS2, so they figure they needed to snatch back a slice of the gaming pie however they can.

Hmm...Btw what is b/c ?

@Simulacrum: b/c=because.
It can also mean backwards compatibility, but not in this case.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

b/c= because

Simulacrum said:
ymeaga1n said:

"MS decided to join the gaming console industry to crack there way into the household living room. The xbox 360 is as much a media hub as it is a gaming console."

DVD-player.Not so much a medua hub. xbox live marketplace allows you to rent and purchase videos and tv shows, x360 is also media extender...you can connect it to your windows pc running media center and stream videos, music, photos to your tv.

"Every corporations duty is to its shareholders, if they deem a project as a proper move for the company's future, it will happen. That's why MS has a reason to sell xbox 360s."

Good point.

"And it is foolish to assume because people go buy a ps3, they are going to go out and by all sony brands from then on."

No its not. I have had only Nokias cell phone and Lg:s Pc stuff.I also have Sonys Lcd. Okay, that's you. I got samsung lcd in one room, sony in another, x360 in one room, dell laptop, blackberry phone and samsung and motorola and panasonic before that. and fyi, samsung cellphones are trash, samsung lcds are awesome. I don't have brand loyalty like you describe it, and most people don't. They go for the best product that will give them the most value for their money. Additionally, Sony products are usually the most expensive (look at vaio, digital cameras, ps3 etc.). Why does nintendo sell like hotcakes if it has nothing else to offer aside from a gaming console?

Im no expert so just ingore me if I write something stupid.

@yemeaga1n: About your 360 example; doesn't make the 360 in between a little useless?

Brand loyalty is known fact. Instead of asking why Wii beats PS3 in sales, you should ask why PS3 is selling better than 360. That's where you find the brand loyalty. Although, brand loyalty only exists in similar products, and that's when you are able to charge premium and sell as much as competition, who sells it's products cheaper.
Look at cars industry, Daimler-Chrystler charges more than the competion, just like BMW, also Toyota have been upping their prices above most of GM:s and Fords similar products. It's all about brand loyalty and perception.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.