By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Me vs last & current gen consoles

I am NOT an Xbox fan at all!!!! I dont have an Xbox right now but I have a slimline PS2 and very happy about it :) I dont have a 360 and I dont intend to buy it any soon. I dont have a PS3 either and my chances to buy it is not soon either, lol.

I am not an Xbox fan but I'd loved it, why? I had bought Xbox so that I could play many decent FPS and some other games that My PC couldnt handle and I discovered that I could use it like a set top box with hacking tools and adding an 80 GB hard disc.

With those tools,
I was able to load my entire movie (divx) selection into the drive and watch them on my big screen TV on demand (using Windows Media Player CE) :).
Thanks to those tools, I was able to copy the entire Xbox games to the hard drive (totally unofficial so it worked for all games), which drastically reduced the loading times and removed the need for inserting and switching the discs!

I like X360 because

- The games it offers appeal to me (FPS especially)
- The system is much more affordable
- There are far more games
- Online capabilities are better

I actually like but am disappointed with PS3 because

- I hate the price point especially in Europe where I live
- I dont give a damn about HD Movies so the extra price for Bluray is nothing but a burden on me.
- It was released late and very few games are available.
- I hate the fact that Sony keeps lying and exaggerating about the specs. The so called powerful console is nothing but a cream on even harder programming. We are yet to see a game that is considerably better looking on PS3. Wasnt this a selling point? Accepting PS3 is already surpassed by High end PCs is the same as saying PS3 is not that powerful or special. Because we know X360 has close power to the high end PCs today. The only point it cant come close to them is the amount of RAM (in which PCs boast with 2 gigs of RAM and 512 megs of Graphics RAM). PS3 cannot compete with this either, then what is the difference if there is any???

- I will still buy PS3 in late 2008 or 2009 because it has many nice and exclusive games that I will be interested in. Also I believe PS3's price will drop to $300 level for the US or so and Bluray will win this format war.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

I mean the price will probably drop to $300 levels in 2009 (by American terms).

still no posts, interesting.... hmmmm

I would have loved to grab any one of these, and install Linux and MythTV on them. If they had a TV tuner. Unfortunately, no love, so I just bought a PC (which is about the same price as the 360 for much better parts anyway)

So I don't quite get why everyone loves their XBMC...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

you're forgetting one console

dundunduuuuuun

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Xbox 360: The ultimate gaming console.
It has a perfect controller
Xbox Live (unified multiplay platform)
More than enough processing and graphics power.

The downside is the current hardware issues. Price is fairly high, but a great value for what you get, and still 1/6th the price of a high-end gaming rig.

PS3: An overpriced media center
I don't personally like the controller. They stole the motion controls from Nintendo, and then even added trigger buttons like the Xbox. Also too small and too light.

From what I hear, an extremely powerful machine. I have yet to see anything on it that makes me think "WOW, the Xbox doesn't have anything that looks this good". In time, I'm sure devs will learn to leverage the PS3's power, but I don't see it yet.

I love the PS3 system interface and menu. I have had no problems using it as my media center (using TV Versity) The controller actually works great for this, and it's small size is actually an upside (walking around the room with it, it isnt as bulky as the xbox controller)

The current library of PS3 games is really really bad. There's still only a few games I want. Once again, in time this will get better.

I have to admit, the PS3 looks sexier ;)

I just want to end with the note that I am not biased against the PS3. I am happy that I bought it, and I'm sure I will get more use out of it when better games come out. I just think that the Xbox is the better gaming platform (not more powerful, just better overall)

omgwtfbbq said:
I would have loved to grab any one of these, and install Linux and MythTV on them. If they had a TV tuner. Unfortunately, no love, so I just bought a PC (which is about the same price as the 360 for much better parts anyway)

So I don't quite get why everyone loves their XBMC...

Because XBMC plays anything you throw at it except high def.  It also has a lot of cool features.  For example if you download something compressed in rar format you don't have to uncompress it to watch it, it also supports iso/img images.  Or you can check out the latest movie trailers by accessing them from xbmc.  It has multiple music players, and a built in webserver that can be accessed by a pc, psp, or pocketpc.  You can run programs from it like videogame emulators or run something like xlink and play xbox games over the internet without having to go onto xbox live.  You can create your own scripts for it and it has built in sql database program.  It's actually pretty amazing considering it's free.

I gave my xbox to my nephew but I miss XBMC :/