By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - how much as the ps3 lost sony as of today

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/sony-loses-33-b.html
And if I'm not mistaken the R&D of the Cell cost sony another cool 3 billion, but I'm not sure on that

Around the Network

Cell was developed by a joint venture between Sony, IBM and Toshiba I believe. So they didn't lose that much due to the shared expenses.

And yes, to date Sony has lost about 3.2 billion. Lets hope they minimize expenses and start selling above costs.

The division as a hole last 3 billion as mentioned. the ps3 more because of psp and ps2 being pure profit. The reason people said less than the xbox is because the division the xbox is in lost 3 billion and microsoft padded that division with other things as well so it is hard to tell how much either console lost. Also, it is unlikely that the playstation division will lose money again any time soon since SOE is now part of the division and they got both Everquests still going and they will both get an expansion this fall, so easy profits.

so 3.2 billion is just on the ps3 or the ps3 + cell?

RolStoppable said:

During the last two fiscal years Sony's gaming division posted a loss of about $3.2 billion. If you factor in that the PS2 and to a lesser extent the PSP were making Sony money during the same timeframe, the PS3 maybe has passed the record losses of the first Xbox ($4 billion in four years).

EDIT: In the first quarter of the current fiscal year Sony's gaming division posted a profit of $51 million.

Lets all ignore a logical post from Rol.

Around the Network

Around 3.3 billion. Technically it's more as that is the recorded losses in their statements, but it had the PS2 to prop it up from showing the actual additional losses. The losses however are going to continue to rise.

RolStoppable said:

During the last two fiscal years Sony's gaming division posted a loss of about $3.2 billion. If you factor in that the PS2 and to a lesser extent the PSP were making Sony money during the same timeframe, the PS3 maybe has passed the record losses of the first Xbox ($4 billion in four years).

EDIT: In the first quarter of the current fiscal year Sony's gaming division posted a profit of $51 million.

this is correct. They have lost AT MINIMUM $3.2B on the PS3 alone. So they are right up there with XBox level losses. It would be wonderful to know how much the PS3 actually lost, but we'll never find that out unless somehow that specific question gets asked and answered at a shareholder meeting which I doubt will ever happen.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

exactly $99.9

*readies the fire extinguisher* this is not going to bode well.

The broken English makes me want to order a fine strudel in Bavaria. =)

RolStoppable said:

This. /Thread

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."