By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Activision blames Nintendo for Goldeneye not being released

meehan666 said:

I am sorry, but you seem to live in a fantasy land where software development is performed by waving a magical wand. Reality check, the most expensive resource on a project is the developers time. It is for that reason that many projects are selected or scrapped. Porting Halo 2 to make it work on a Wii would cost development time(amount other things); money that may or may not be recovered in sales. Porting the enhanced version of goldeneye to Wii would cost dev time; money that would be a total loss for MS and a massive gain for Nintendo if Rare does the work. You seem to be keen on arguing Nintendos side; why the hell would Microsoft ever agree to your take on the situation, I mean they have just as much veto power as Nintendo in this? Like I said, MS already spent the money to make THEIR enhanced version, why should they spend more to develope a game for a rival console? If Nintendo want an enhanced version, they should develope it, I mean, who knows their hardware better than their developers? Perhaps that is the hold up in all this, Nintendo don't feel that potential sales of an enhanced version of the game on their platform would cover their costs of development; thus they are trying to hold out in hopes MS will foot the bill.

There's no hope about it.  Rare and Microsoft did something foolish and if they ever want that investment to bear fruit they'll have to get Nintendo's consent.  Nintendo has much to lose and little to gain from this, so just getting a cut of the profits isn't going to do it for them, especially not at the expense of their own platform.  Microsoft's gaming division on the other hand would love to recoup (likely miniscule) and profit from that work, and I only see two options for them:  1. they scrap the project or 2. they come to an agreement with Nintendo to release on both platforms and settle for just sticking it to their other rival in Sony.  The third possibility of buying off Nintendo just seems a whole lot less likely.

I just find it hilarious that gamers want to lash out at Nintendo for a situation they didn't create and jump to Microsoft's defence (saint of a corporation that it is, always acting in the consumer's interest /sarcasm).

Around the Network

Who cares. Perfect Dark on N64 was Goldeneye enhanced. Everything that Goldeneye was but better. Just give us that game with full online support.

Gnizmo said:

meehan666 said:

I am sorry, but you seem to live in a fantasy land where software development is performed by waving a magical wand. Reality check, the most expensive resource on a project is the developers time. It is for that reason that many projects are selected or scrapped. Porting Halo 2 to make it work on a Wii would cost development time(amount other things); money that may or may not be recovered in sales. Porting the enhanced version of goldeneye to Wii would cost dev time; money that would be a total loss for MS and a massive gain for Nintendo if Rare does the work. You seem to be keen on arguing Nintendos side; why the hell would Microsoft ever agree to your take on the situation, I mean they have just as much veto power as Nintendo in this? Like I said, MS already spent the money to make THEIR enhanced version, why should they spend more to develope a game for a rival console? If Nintendo want an enhanced version, they should develope it, I mean, who knows their hardware better than their developers? Perhaps that is the hold up in all this, Nintendo don't feel that potential sales of an enhanced version of the game on their platform would cover their costs of development; thus they are trying to hold out in hopes MS will foot the bill.

In my example you seemed to have not read I specified that Nintendo had taken the development cost on themselves. Try and read what you are arguing against before calling it a bad analogy. It makes your argueent much stronger.

It is not Nintendo's fault Microsoft was stupid enough to develop a game they can't publish. The cost sunk into it is absolutely meaningless to this conversation. The cost to port it over to the Wii is equally meaningless to this conversation. If they are unwilling to spend the money to do it, then they should not have started to make the game. Microsoft should spend more because they are the ones that have already spent money on it, thus have the greatest incentive to spend more. Nintendo is in the position of power here because Rare jumped the gun (if this rumor is true) and made a game that can't legally be sold.

Lapsed gamers explanation is perfect really. Neither side is truely to blame since both are simply making the most logical business decision.

Your argument has no basis on the reality of the situation. Much like Nintendo, if they think Microsoft will fund development of a Wii game.

deathcape said:
I dont think you get it at all meehan...you are truly a noob in the original sense

you see...Nintendo has been in to WIN since DS ...Wii also..no losses..only gain

why the HELL would they ALLOW MS to release an enhanced version of goldeneye..
so they can release the classis version

if they CLEARLY do NOT need their money!

VC is a goldmine! so is the Wii..DS, DS games, Wii Games..WIiWare etc etc

they do not NEED this game..it would make no money in comparison to the money they make NOW

why would they allow MS to make some more money

MS clearly needs this game way more than Nintendo does..

Yes clearly, MS NEEDS the game with how terrible Xbox live does and with the lack of FPS on the console...

allthehoneys said:
meehan666 said:

I am sorry, but you seem to live in a fantasy land where software development is performed by waving a magical wand. Reality check, the most expensive resource on a project is the developers time. It is for that reason that many projects are selected or scrapped. Porting Halo 2 to make it work on a Wii would cost development time(amount other things); money that may or may not be recovered in sales. Porting the enhanced version of goldeneye to Wii would cost dev time; money that would be a total loss for MS and a massive gain for Nintendo if Rare does the work. You seem to be keen on arguing Nintendos side; why the hell would Microsoft ever agree to your take on the situation, I mean they have just as much veto power as Nintendo in this? Like I said, MS already spent the money to make THEIR enhanced version, why should they spend more to develope a game for a rival console? If Nintendo want an enhanced version, they should develope it, I mean, who knows their hardware better than their developers? Perhaps that is the hold up in all this, Nintendo don't feel that potential sales of an enhanced version of the game on their platform would cover their costs of development; thus they are trying to hold out in hopes MS will foot the bill.

There's no hope about it.  Rare and Microsoft did something foolish and if they ever want that investment to bear fruit they'll have to get Nintendo's consent.  Nintendo has much to lose and little to gain from this, so just getting a cut of the profits isn't going to do it for them, especially not at the expense of their own platform.  Microsoft's gaming division on the other hand would love to recoup (likely miniscule) and profit from that work, and I only see two options for them:  1. they scrap the project or 2. they come to an agreement with Nintendo to release on both platforms and settle for just sticking it to their other rival in Sony.  The third possibility of buying off Nintendo just seems a whole lot less likely.

I just find it hilarious that gamers want to lash out at Nintendo for a situation they didn't create and jump to Microsoft's defence (saint of a corporation that it is, always acting in the consumer's interest /sarcasm).

Much to lose by releasing a non enhanced version of Goldeneye? If it came out most of their user base wouldn't even care. I mean, how much are they hurting their platform everytime they release a multiplat that isn't as good as the 360 or PS3 version?

Around the Network

@meehan

You replied to everyone else but forgot me. You state that Microsoft doesn't need it badly enough to make consessions. Nintendo doesn't need it that badly either.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

lapsed_gamer said:
Microsoft is not going to give Nintendo the work they did on the enhanced version. Yes, they would make money if they did, but it would benefit Nintendo more.

Nintendo is not going to give Microsoft the right to publish a game that they hold some legal right to. Yes, they would make money if they did, but it would benefit Microsoft more.  an enhanced version of the game while Nintendo only gets the old version.  Yes, it would make money if it did, but it would benefit Microsoft more.

Got it?

Fixed.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Commando said:
Hello Meehan666 and welcome to the site. Just a word of friendly advice, You might want to refrain from using statements like "They didn't do any work to make the version superior and their weaker system might not even be able to handle the enhanced version", because at times users can be baned for saying things like that.

Why are you saying this? When has such a thing ever happened on this site? People don't get banned just for being wrong. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

lapsed_gamer said:
@meehan

You replied to everyone else but forgot me. You state that Microsoft doesn't need it badly enough to make consessions. Nintendo doesn't need it that badly either.

Which is why the game, enhanced version or not, probably won't see the light of day.

I've been thinking for a while now that Goldeneye has a slim chance of being re-released on a current gen console since it was originally published by Nintendo, developed by Rare (which is now owned by Microsoft), and the rights to the Bond franchise belong to Sony. I find it hard to believe that these three competitors could ever cooperate in a manner that would get the game released.