By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Finally gets 5 hours alone with a PS3!

Shrug, if you've read any of my comments on the PS3, I don't own one, but a friend got one in December, and thus had kinda access to the machine. I get an hour or so of multiplayer, but last night, 5 hours unfettered access. Played Darkness, Rainbow 6, Oblivion, even watched a portion of Swordfish on Blue-Ray, my first high definition movie, all on a 1080I resolution!

My expectations were far too high. If this is next gen, next gen is the same as last gen, but prettier. Play B3yond this is not. This is merely play like you always have. At twice the price. My mind is quite clear: No PS3, cept for free, until something else comes out.

Let us review. Partly, this will be the devs fault. I'll start with the worst: Rainbox 6. Spent only 5 minutes on that thing, truthfully, I'm not a gun and cover player, I was born and raised on Quake, pure twitch. Which of course, works on FPSes, but without my HUD display, I'm lost, no idea if shots hurt me etc. I'd love to give you a single player review, based on a couple hours of unique single player. I can't. For some reason, you can only have 1 single player campaign going on at the same time. This is not my game, nor my console, so am I supposed to delete my friends game? No, I'm not a douche. So I go play terrorist hunt, looks about like CS source though that may have been the map I chose. 30 terrorists to kill, handles like meh, but console FPS rarely handle well for me, and terrorists die in the most random fashion. I shot one guy through a bunch of tires, and didn't notice that one shot kill him. Another ran by me as I crouched with an AK47, took an entire clip, then killed me. Given the choice between a death match between me and 30 terrorist bots in a game that looks and feels ugly, and another game, I took the other game. Oh yes, and despite the fact this game is loaded on the harddrive, prepare for loading screens for loading screems, about 35 seconds wait. Maybe the single player saves it. Maybe the multiplayer saves it! For now: Pass! Pass and don't look back!

This led to The Darkness! Whoops, same problem! 1 single player game only. Sorry Friend, your save at the last boss is GONE! I actually cleared this with him first. So I could play single player, and do you know what? It was fun! Great first scene shows some good attention to detail, a nice kinda moving target mini game as you gun down random people (If you hit them all, it's an achievement) seguing into the story. The game, despite you having giant demon of death posessing you, is still sneak and shoot. In the early portion of the game, you are stuck in a cemetary with about 9 goons trying to kill you. I said before, I'm a twitch. On easy mode, because I went for execution kills (You can chain the first 5, but then they spawn out of reach), I died many times because no HUD, and you take four of five shots and you're gone. Anyway, the game then moves into a free exploring FPS with some interesting twists, nice charecter interactions and quests. Mike Patton voices the Darkness, but I hated his band Faith No More, though he is a good vocalist, and that gives some geek cred for those geeks that like bad music. Oddly, at 1080I, I can't read the posters in the subway. Also, apparently the model has a metal bar for a neck, since the sprite doesn't look up or down. Normally, that's not an Issue, but these 4d graphics seem kinda like just slightly better 3d. Load times are 20 seconds pretty much everywhere, but a little cutscene of the main charecter talking distracts you from it. Worth a play. Though maybe 10 hours in and you want your friend to see the cool opening scene, too bad. Despite the save file only being 2.8 megs, you only get 1. Shame, isn't it?.

Led to the game I enjoyed the most, Oblivion. Well, I don't like wandering through field, but the game installs on your Harddrive, and almost no load time! It's... awesome! It's what it's supposed to be with your blazing fast load times! So, I congratulate the coders on this one, and really wonder if it is faster on the 360, because this was nice, smooth and quick. The game even let me play single player without deleting my friends file, wonderful! Didn't like the first dungeon taking 30 minutes of my time, but I was new, and having fun, though getting a face tone to not look rediculous would probably take 10 minutes, I just gave up after 1. Worth a play.

Then we get Blue-Ray, which perplexes me. The movie just started, no menu, though you can access the bonus menu, but I have to imagine that was just a quick porting onto blue ray. Though a chapter scan would be nice. Fast forwarding at 1.5x speed to 10x speed seems like a big jump, and yep, the movie is pretty. Not 4x pay what I normally would pretty, but Hale Berry's tits did look nice in HD.

I first played Resistance back in December, and liked it, since it was a lot more twitch. On a Whim, I decided to check if Resistance had the same problem as darkness and rainbox 6. I checked, and yep, only 1 single player game. So according to Sony, you don't have friends, family, roommates or visitors who may want to play the game.  Thanks Sony!

Admittidly, Darkness and Oblivion both were fun games, and people other than me like tactical shooters. But this is nowhere near playing beyond. This is playing games, just like you have before, on a controller with no rumble, on a nicer TV.  For a lot more. There is no Wow factor, unless you like looking at pretty things, and if you look too closely, there are going to be cracks. The Darkness looked about as good as Prey, with some weird shading issues. Rainbow 6 looked like CS: Source. Most of them had load time issues. I expect more when promised more. I got... just a polished PS2. If I was sold on the machine as anything but the future, I wouldn't expect so much. It set the hype, and so far, it has failed to deliver.

If I get another 5 hours, hopefully I can play some Lair, if not, it'll all be Oblivion with some Resistance Multiplayer once I get bored of playing with myself. Yes, I do love myself a good rant.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

"So according to Sony, you don't have friends, family, roommates or visitors who may want to play the game. Thanks Sony!"

Firstly this isn't true.

You can make a new profile, which takes 30 seconds, log on ,then you have your own game saves.

I have 3 users on my PS3 (It's like a PC you log onto your own profile) and then everything saved there, is your own.

The Darkness is the best game you list there, as I feel oblivion is a PC game.

The Darkness, is truly last gen feeling, as it feels almost identical to chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay. But that's not bad, That was a AAA game to rember.

Try motorstorm! Try it online, with a mic. And look me up. Kwaad. I'll show you how to have fun.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Also I'd give Rainbow 6 more credit then you did. It's quite a refreshing feeling to play a game, (which is ultra realistic), that's all about caution and skill.

Rather then wading knee-deep through hordes of alien enimies, like a one- man-army, killing absolutely everything.

It's single player gets quite immersive and interesting after about an hour, and it's really long! I've been playing the campaign for about 7 hours now, and I've no clue how far I am through it. The cover system, snake cam, night vision, team gameplay, rappeling, etc. also add quite a diverse element to the gameplay.

I will lovingly point out that I can only play what he has bought. He doesn't own Motorstorm, so Yog-Sothoth (His name, a Lovecraft nut) won't be racing for a while.

Why on Earth would I want to have 5 seperate user names, ID's and consoles just because I want to play a game single player, or show the cool Darkness opening to a friend? At least you apparently can do that, but Jesus that's lazy. Quick vote, do you prefer Oblivion's, which lets multiple characters, a quick start and acceptance that a 60 gig harddrive will take a long time to fill, or the Log on/off system, which doesn't save Harddrive space, takes up more for a profile, hopefully doesn't involve the game re-installing itself, and adds more loading time, however, a bit more security that no one can save over your game. Just asking.

Thanks for the update on that, though so next time I get a chance, I may make a profile and try Rainbow 6. I was told that the single player was fun, but that annoyed the living hell out of me 1 per log in. I will admit my preference for twitch, but I liked the darkness, and it's less than 30% twitch. And the Terrorist Portion did allow my Rambo style of play. Doesn't matter who I shoot, just that they die. Raised on Quake will do that to you I guess.

See Ya George.

Around the Network

I honestly would not be so hard on the system were it not for the promises. Wii promised a new control, and has delivered on some games, and failed on others. Ps3 promised a new experience, and... has had shinier graphics and more load times? Xbox360 I don't even know what they offered. A future proof console, I guess, which is a joke, but I still havn't even got to play one yet!

See Ya George.

the ps3, its the best thing that happend to me

Fuzzmosis said:

I first played Resistance back in December, and liked it, since it was a lot more twitch. On a Whim, I decided to check if Resistance had the same problem as darkness and rainbox 6. I checked, and yep, only 1 single player game. So according to Sony, you don't have friends, family, roommates or visitors who may want to play the game.  Thanks Sony!

Resistance has co-op online or offline. That doesn't erase anything. The 360 also has a system where you create multiple ID's (like Miis) to access their saves and acheivements.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Either make different profiles to make different saves, or transfer the saves to a USB flash drive or computer for backup and storage. I think the 360 might have the same thing as the PS3 with different profiles for different saves. Making a new profile is quick and easy and you can have start your own saves on all the games.

I oddly knew Resistance had co-op. This was me... alone. I'm not dextrous enough to control 2 controllers for the sake of playing the story. Also, it would not shock me if yes, only 1 co-op story happened at the same time.

See Ya George.