By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Kingdom Hearts Controls

Alright, I decided to come up with a control scheme for Kingdom Hearts in the off chance a KH game comes to Wii. It could be used for some other games with a few tweaks, but this is pretty dedicated to keeping the core KH gameplay with some new tweaks that I think would be enjoyable. Tell me what you guys think please.

Control Stick - Move Sora. Really now what else could it be?

A Button - This is our attack/confirm button that works exactly like the X button in the PS2 games. No surprises here.

B Trigger - Our jump/cancel button that functions like the O button for the PS2 games. I thought about using C for this, but I'd prefer my right hand controlling jumps dunno why.

C Button - Use equipped abilities. This is for the techniques mapped to the [  ] button.

Z Button - This button works as the Lock-On button in battles and the Center Camera button in non-battle situations. Works just like the R1 button in the other KH games.

D-Pad - This controls the battle menu. Many Wii games are using these for camera control, but I'm not going to because I want to keep that core KH experience.

Minus Button - This activates First-Person View in non-battle situations and opens the Shortcuts Menu in battles. I think it should work fine, but I'm a little nervous about it being so close to the Home Button.

Plus Button - Opens the display menu and pauses the game of course. No surprises here.

Camera control will be mapped to the Wiimote's pointer, but it's not just a pointer. The pointer becomes a mix of Super Mario Galaxy and FPS Wii controls. There will be a bounding box which makes the camera turn once you go outside of it adding what is essentially a second analog. However, the pointer will also function as a collector like in Galaxy and perhaps as an aiming reticule for magic. I don't want to put too many functions on the pointer, but it's such a cool feature that I couldn't stop some ideas from popping up. Things can be context sensitive with the pointer like aiming it at certain enemy parts shows you their weak points or the icon changes to a key if you need to unlock a chest. It's the little tricks that make Wii controls cool and that's what I'm trying to do with the pointer.

Reaction commands will be mapped to Nunchuk shakes if they are kept in the game, but I suggest they get nerfed or axed because KH2 was just too easy with them. The Wiimote's motion sensing will be reserved for interactive cutscenes, puzzles, and finishing moves. This prevents the motions from becoming tiring or annoying, and in turn also makes them fun and satisfying IMO.

Tweaks/Changes from previous KH titles: Magic should be more destructive if magic aiming is indeed mapped to the pointer. Being able to point and fire off a flurry of fireballs would be an awesome addition, and makes up for the slightly more difficult aiming system. Gummi Ship controls would control similar to an FPS now giving them the opportunity to be truly epic and enjoyable.

Opinions?

Around the Network

I think you can use a PS3 controller instead..

I understand that using the Wiimote to control the keyblade would be tiring, but it would seem like such a waste not to have it.

So I would overhaul the control, and not have so much wild and constant swinging, which reportedly killed the fun of Soul Calibur Legends.

Focus on strategy with using the keyblade, and even incorporate Motion+.

That would also mean no hordes of heartless, but that just led to button mashing anyway.

There would also be a super spinning move, like the spin attack in Zelda, but also like the spin attack it needs a recharge time. Perhaps and even longer time to ensure it's just an emergency move. Anything else would require actually wielding the keyblade, not just pressing buttons and seeing Sora do flashy swings.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

GLoRySoGLoRy said:
I think you can use a PS3 controller instead..

Hopefully, this.

LordTheNightKnight said:
I understand that using the Wiimote to control the keyblade would be tiring, but it would seem like such a waste not to have it.

So I would overhaul the control, and not have so much wild and constant swinging, which reportedly killed the fun of Soul Calibur Legends.

That would also mean no hordes of heartless, but that just led to button mashing anyway.

There would also be a super spinning move, like the spin attack in Zelda, but also like the spin attack it needs a recharge time. Perhaps and even longer time to ensure it's just an emergency move. Anything else would require actually wielding the keyblade, not just pressing buttons and seeing Sora do flashy swings.

I really like the idea of incorporating Motion+ into the combat, but I wasn't sure if it could be done effectively and fun. It's something I'd probably wait for the Zelda team to try before commiting to it. However I think making enemies appear less often and fewer numbers could make fights more epic. The new Prince of Persia is taking this route and I wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

Around the Network

Be careful around these forums.

Whenever you have a thread that even SLIGHTLY mentions the existence of Kingdom Hearts, fanboys will crawl out of the inner depths of hell and will start to vomit arguments out of their foaming mouths and make this thread approximately 25 pages long. By my calculations, that makes the entire forum 35% Kingdom Hearts arguments, which makes 34% of all posts in the forum from fanboys.

So you may want to change this thread to something else. Some recommended topics are: kittens, pizza, virginity, buring urine, rating the thing above you, salad-tossing, and penis size. But for the love of god man, stay away from Kingdom Hearts. The Kingdom Hearts makes for very annoying, very stupid, very annoying threads, VERY ANNOYING threads.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Be careful around these forums.

Whenever you have a thread that even SLIGHTLY mentions the existence of Kingdom Hearts, fanboys will crawl out of the inner depths of hell and will start to vomit arguments out of their foaming mouths and make this thread approximately 25 pages long. By my calculations, that makes the entire forum 35% Kingdom Hearts arguments, which makes 34% of all posts in the forum from fanboys.

So you may want to change this thread to something else. Some recommended topics are: kittens, pizza, virginity, buring urine, rating the thing above you, salad-tossing, and penis size. But for the love of god man, stay away from Kingdom Hearts. The Kingdom Hearts makes for very annoying, very stupid, very annoying threads, VERY ANNOYING threads.

Haha sorry about that I only wrote this up because my friend didn't believe it could be done on Wii without sacrificing the gameplay. This is just my attempt at finding a control scheme for those third person action games that are stuggling at bit on Wii and a little wishful thinking on my part.

I remember using the KH2 controll scheme for DMC3 on ps2. Felt great. I had to do it since I couldn't play DMC3 properly, I was playing KH2 prior for like...... 2 months.... nothing else....

4 ≈ One

LordTheNightKnight said:

The lack of proper development is what killed Soul Calibur Legends.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba