By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - SDTV? Where'd they go?!

People are morons.

Yeah, most people hook up DVD players w/ composite. My gf's dad bought a 4X-inch DLP for no reason, and they have this 1999 butt-ugly-picture DVD player. He wanted it cos it's NEW and BIG.

That's why the HD movie discs will never take off. It's too much nerd work for the average person.

It's such a shame CRTs are disappearing. I couldn't be happier w/ my circa-2000 Panasonic 36" HD CRT. Plays SD stuff soooo nice, minimal lag on old games, and 1080i is fine at this size. LCD is ass, it's pushed because it's cheap to make and it "looks cool."

As long as people keep BUYING WII CONSOLES, I don't think anyone can doubt its longevity. Plus it's cheap to dev for anyway and it's making money. It's not exactly the Virtual Boy.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

I was at wal-mart the other day, and spent about 2 hours looking at their TVs. I was amazed I saw HDTVs from 200$ Up to 1500$. What amazed me more, was I saw a 42inch LCD HDTV for 950$. As I was leaving I noticed something major. The smallest TVs were HDTVS. The biggest were HDTVs. The cheapest were HDTVs. And the most expensive were HDTVs. Wait. Where's the SDTVs?!?!

My local wal-mart no-longer sells SDTVs. HDTV is here, HDTV is today. It is no longer the future.

EDIT: HDTV is still the future as well, but it is also the present.

C'mon Kwaad, lets be a little more specific than that ;)

For instance - most sets now sold in Australia would count as "HDTV" in some form.

BUT - and its a big BUT - essentially NONE OF THEM are full 1080p sets. None. Zero. Zilch. Last time I checked out a major TV retailer, I counted two 1080p sets in the entire store - and they started at about $5,500. The other 100+ sets were either 480p or 720p.

People are pretty happy with either solution, and the average person wouldn't have any idea what the difference was anyway - besides the price.

I'll probably be getting a new display soon - and I'll be aiming for a 720p plasma 42'' display (preferably Panasonic or Phillips, and preferably with NaturalMotion/100hz interpolation tech).

So yes - HDTV is the future. But this isn't the HDTV that is PS3 friendly (if that was the point you were trying to make?). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:
ismael said:

And PS3 will last more than 6 years. I give it at least 8 before the next Sony console. And I doubt a nintendo console would come near the PS3/360 in the next 6 years. Think of it this way, the original X-box was no-where near as fast as the 360/PS3 when they launched. (compared to PC hardware)

The Wii has roughly the same power as the X-box, and that is a 5 year old console. So Given the power of the PS3/360, I would say it will be 7 years before nintendo catches up in power. Due to that I would say the Wii4 will surpass the PS3/360, while the Wii3 would be in the same class. It is very like nintendo to create a new profitable console every 3-4 years.

The most successful consoles last the longest, it has little if anything to do with powerful hardware. I don't think the fact that the 3 best selling consoles, the DS, Wii & PS2, are all at the shallow end of the power pool supports your point. If the PS3 keeps performing the way it is it will be the first console to drop out the race, not as you say, the last.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Biggerboat said:

@ Kwaad

Please explain to me where you come up with the Wii lasting 2-3 more years and the PS3 lasting 9, at the moment the opposite would be more likely.

Kwaads insecure about his favorite system lasting long or having strong support.  He constantly brings up the Wii or how much better the PS3 will do than the Wii in every thread.  It'll be completely totally unrelated to the thread, but he'll bring up the 'inferiority' of the Wii.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:
Biggerboat said:

@ Kwaad

Please explain to me where you come up with the Wii lasting 2-3 more years and the PS3 lasting 9, at the moment the opposite would be more likely.

Kwaads insecure about his favorite system lasting long or having strong support.  He constantly brings up the Wii or how much better the PS3 will do than the Wii in every thread.  It'll be completely totally unrelated to the thread, but he'll bring up the 'inferiority' of the Wii.

Isn't it site policy to ban posters who do that?

Thanks for the heads up.

Hus said:

Around the Network
shams said:
Kwaad said:

I was at wal-mart the other day, and spent about 2 hours looking at their TVs. I was amazed I saw HDTVs from 200$ Up to 1500$. What amazed me more, was I saw a 42inch LCD HDTV for 950$. As I was leaving I noticed something major. The smallest TVs were HDTVS. The biggest were HDTVs. The cheapest were HDTVs. And the most expensive were HDTVs. Wait. Where's the SDTVs?!?!

My local wal-mart no-longer sells SDTVs. HDTV is here, HDTV is today. It is no longer the future.

EDIT: HDTV is still the future as well, but it is also the present.

C'mon Kwaad, lets be a little more specific than that ;)

For instance - most sets now sold in Australia would count as "HDTV" in some form.

BUT - and its a big BUT - essentially NONE OF THEM are full 1080p sets. None. Zero. Zilch. Last time I checked out a major TV retailer, I counted two 1080p sets in the entire store - and they started at about $5,500. The other 100+ sets were either 480p or 720p.

People are pretty happy with either solution, and the average person wouldn't have any idea what the difference was anyway - besides the price.

I'll probably be getting a new display soon - and I'll be aiming for a 720p plasma 42'' display (preferably Panasonic or Phillips, and preferably with NaturalMotion/100hz interpolation tech).

So yes - HDTV is the future. But this isn't the HDTV that is PS3 friendly (if that was the point you were trying to make?).

Ok. In responce to you shams, first I want to whine about the personal attacks/trolling.

Second - Your right, wal-mart only has 720p sets. However every set they have is 720p. No 480p.

Third - I'm not sure what the prices look like there, but look into the new Samsung LCD TVs. Their image is just as good as plasma, but almost guarenteed to work for years. Plasma has... problems long-term. I can not reccomend plasma for that reason. When your paying 2,000$ on a TV. It better last 5-10 years without problem. Plasma is having problems after 3-5. LCD... well, my dad has a 10 year old notebook, that he leaves on 24/7, and has done so for the last 7 years, and it works just as well as it did day1.

Fourth - Look into a Laser TV.

Fifth - Look into investing those few extra pennies to get a 1080p set. They do cost more, but they are future-proof. I invested in 1080p for mine, and I'm not saying spend 8000$ on a TV. I feel a 1080p HDTV purchaced today will work on the X720, PS4, and the Wii4. While a 720p, will be sub-par, and not 100% supported.

Biggerboat -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e6y3pOqm_Y 

At 2 minutes and 30 seconds he says it. 

GhaleonUnlimited -  I assure you, a CRT will not look better than a new samsung LCD side by side.

Hawk - I am not saying the Wii sucks. I am saying the Wii is a SD console. 100% fact. The link above is why I say it will have a short life, and following nintendo's current trends they will have foot in the door in HD with the Wii2, and then in 3-5 years after that the Wii3 will bring in full HD. That is my prediction.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Biggerboat said:
Hawk said:
Biggerboat said:

@ Kwaad

Kwaads insecure about his favorite system lasting long or having strong support. He constantly brings up the Wii or how much better the PS3 will do than the Wii in every thread. It'll be completely totally unrelated to the thread, but he'll bring up the 'inferiority' of the Wii.

Isn't it site policy to ban posters who do that?

Thanks for the heads up.

Ahh, your right. I made one small remark about the Wii being SD as long as SD is still there, and then starting a gradual progression to full HD, as the general public moves to HD. I'm so sorry I said the Wii is doing the best for it's sales. Ban me please! I broke the rules! I'm so sorry. *sob* Hawk you are so cool for pointing that out. I hope you reported the thread for me.

"Second - Your right, wal-mart only has 720p sets. However every set they have is 720p. No 480p."

How much of a moron are you?

Deguello said:
"Second - Your right, wal-mart only has 720p sets. However every set they have is 720p. No 480p."

How much of a moron are you?

wtf?

a 720p set can do 1080i, 720p 480p and 480i. 

@ Kwaad

I can't watch the vid as I'm at work but i'm sure if it alludes to the Wii being replaced in the near(ish) future it would be exploding all over the net. Hell, make a thread about it yourself, if you have a case it is gauranteed to be a whopper.

I do think overall you are being unrealistic about Wii's lifespan. Even if everybody woke up tomorrow with a 42 inch 1080p LCD TV Wiis would continue to fly off shelves. I'm not sure if you are aware but HDTVs are compatible with Wii and most people don't care about resolution, thus the system's future is all but unaffected by the transition.

Hus said: