By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

Honestly, as disappointing as Halo 3 was, I'm ecstatic about this. I've never even played MK Wii (which is a horrible acronym btw, MK to me means Mortal Kombat and always will), but Halo 3 doesn't deserve the hype.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a horrible game, and it should have sold good. But it shouldn't be in the position that it's in, so this makes me very happy.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

haha, you're saying Ninty games don't have long lasting appeal? This year, I have played Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and Legend of Zelda Orcarina of Time on the N64, and, for that matter - Super Mario Bros for the Virtual Cnsole sold millions of copies. If millions of people are still playing Halo 3 in 20 years time, I concede it has long lasting appeal

Till then, shush :P

Anyway, well done MK:Wii, and a preemptive well done to Wii Fit, which shall outsell Halo 3 Next week, and is gaining 60-100k on MK:Wii every week, so it shall soon become the Wii's 3rd best selling game.

Did anyone actually expect Brawl to outsell MK?

scottie said:
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

haha, you're saying Ninty games don't have long lasting appeal? This year, I have played Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64 and Legend of Zelda Orcarina of Time on the N64, and, for that matter - Super Mario Bros for the Virtual Cnsole sold millions of copies. If millions of people are still playing Halo 3 in 20 years time, I concede it has long lasting appeal

Anyway, well done MK:Wii, and a preemptive well done to Wii Fit, which shall outsell Halo 3 Next week, and is gaining 60-100k on MK:Wii every week, so it shall soon become the Wii's 3rd best selling game.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=16405

several in this thread did.. and i'm sure there was an LTD prediction thread at some point comparing the two, but i couldn't find it

scottie said:
fastyxx said:

The Virtual Console thing is actually quite interesting.

DKII has an estimate of the sales, it is like this (Americas + PAL, no Japan) 

SMB: ~ 1200K

SMB3: ~ 1250K

SMW: ~ 800K

SM64: ~ 750K

MK64: ~ 800K

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Khuutra said:
FishyJoe said:
SSBB is simply not playable by everyone. Mario Kart next to Wii Sports is probably one of the most intuitive games for non-gamers to pick up, yet MK has enough depth to interest more experienced gamers.

Do you think SSBB's limited appeal is due to the characters involved, the need to unlock so many people through the adventure mode (or other ridiculous things), or the fact that the game has just gotten too damn complicated since its N64 glory?

The fact that it's a fighting game doesn't exactly help. I don't think females are into that sort of stuff. Hell, my mom showed interest in Mario Kart, there's no way I could say the same for Smash Bros.

Wii Fit / Nintendogs should be a great example of how important the girls' vote is.

Around the Network

@OP:

A fight of overrated titans.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

We played some Mario Kart Wii last night. I was actually hoping to play Brawl which may have to wait until Thursday. Brawl is best played with 4 in the same room.

Anyhow, these two games still get a ton of playtime even though I enjoy Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, it just isn't as fun as Brawl or Kart.

trestres said:
It was a matter of seconds until haters started to say MKWii is a POS and blah blah blah.

I don't get the sudden hate when game A passes game B. Calm down, specially fastyxx.

Wow. I touched some kind of nerve on the Wii fascists with my comment.  Who the hell's hating on Mario Kart?  I just bought it, with a freaking wheel. 

I was just making the point that Halo 3 has longer legs for more users than Kart does.  Not "I'll pull it out every now and then" legs but actual obsessive playing legs. 

And whoever was saying COD4 > Halo 3, that' s besides the point.  COD4 is similar to argumetn about Halo and why it's a good thing if a game like that is the top selling game.  NOT because they are both shooters, but because they are both supported well (though I would argue in terms of support by the devs, Halo is WAY beyond COD4.  Activision can't wait to put a fork in COD4 so people will buy World at War).

The point of my comment is not that Galaxy or Kart is bad.  They are both fun.  But they are limited experiences.  Online Kart would be better if it had Live/PSN capabilities, DLC new tracks, etc. etc. etc.   That was the only point to it.  It's not a Halo>Mario thread.  They are two totally different things.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:

I guess that's what hardcore gamers nowadays have been reduced to, sad people with no one to play with at home.   Sad, really.  Games like MarioKart typically caters to those who actually play with people face to face.   Makes you less miserable on those lonely days.

fastyxx said:
trestres said:
It was a matter of seconds until haters started to say MKWii is a POS and blah blah blah.

I don't get the sudden hate when game A passes game B. Calm down, specially fastyxx.

Wow. I touched some kind of nerve on the Wii fascists with my comment.  Who the hell's hating on Mario Kart?  I just bought it, with a freaking wheel.

I was just making the point that Halo 3 has longer legs for more users than Kart does.  Not "I'll pull it out every now and then" legs but actual obsessive playing legs.

And whoever was saying COD4 > Halo 3, that' s besides the point.  COD4 is similar to argumetn about Halo and why it's a good thing if a game like that is the top selling game.  NOT because they are both shooters, but because they are both supported well (though I would argue in terms of support by the devs, Halo is WAY beyond COD4.  Activision can't wait to put a fork in COD4 so people will buy World at War).

The point of my comment is not that Galaxy or Kart is bad.  They are both fun.  But they are limited experiences.  Online Kart would be better if it had Live/PSN capabilities, DLC new tracks, etc. etc. etc.   That was the only point to it.  It's not a Halo>Mario thread.  They are two totally different things.

Mario Kart Wii is replayable as hell, but not mainly online.

MK64 is one of the most played games ever (I read it somewhere, can't find the article), even as limited it was.

As X360 owners are buying far more games than Wii owners (especially in Americas, where Halo 3 has its sales), it wouldn't be unnatural to believe that Wii owners stick to games longer.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS