By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: EA on the prowl, looking to buy Epic Games

Munkeh111 said:
Yeah, it is a good point that they have no reason to accept

Is the UE 3 the most widely used engine?

By a landslide to my knowledge... and they make 6-7 figures on every game... there were something like 30-40+ UE games being made last i saw a list if memory serves. 

Those guys gotta be mega rich.

Around the Network
PhalanxCO said:

Not that I want this to happen, but if it does, they should have them make a Wii game, just to piss off Mark Rein.

I don't think you understand the financials behind such a purchase.

If it did happen Mark Rein would have enough cash to do what he wants afterward and pretty much would be able to decide what he does if he decided to stay with EA..( in business term we call this "F**K YOU" money lol...)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
PhalanxCO said:

Not that I want this to happen, but if it does, they should have them make a Wii game, just to piss off Mark Rein.

I don't think you understand the financials behind such a purchase.

If it did happen Mark Rein would have enough cash to do what he wants afterward and pretty much would be able to decide what he does if he decided to stay with EA..( in business term we call this "F**K YOU" money lol...)

I realize that.  I just found it an amusing thought.

Starting to see the larger devs eat the smaller ones. This trend is going to continue in the west. Not going to happen so much in the east although Tecmo/KOEI merger was pretty and goes along with their culture, but in the West you could seriously see the American devs narrow down to about 4-5 big ones and that be it. Kinda scary actually. Tis why I think the Wii is such a blessing to the market considering it allows smaller devs to create a big time game and have success without needing a huge publisher. If Wii had been like PS360 or no DS then this process probably would be happening faster.

Epic wont sale out. Like Valve they will listen to offers but decline them all. Unless EA plans on offering Epic $30+ billion they are not going to even make them consider it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I don't think these guys are hurting for money. Funny story is that last week I was driving down the highway near the studio and got passed by a 911 with the license plate Epic FTW. Kinda laughed when I saw it.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

EA is such a fucking whore.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ssj12 said:
Epic wont sale out. Like Valve they will listen to offers but decline them all. Unless EA plans on offering Epic $30+ billion they are not going to even make them consider it.

I seem to recall Mark Rein mentioning a $2 billion figure at some point.

xman said:
Didnt EA try this before when they bought out the Quake engine, and thats when epics unreal engine took off. All thre other publishers didnt want to lease there engine from EA? Its a bad idea for me for Epic to team up with EA. EA puts out shoddy work in my opinion

No, that was Criterion and their Renderware engine, which was quite popular last gen before the buy out.

Buying out the creators of a popular (or THE popular) engine certainly isn't out of the ordinary for EA.

Ya know, this right here is the problem with Microsoft's focus on third party publishing contracts. If the third parties disappear...

Hell, they've already let BioWare and Bizarre slip through their fingers.