By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC RPG Fans owe it to themselves to buy Kings Bounty: Legend

If you've never played Kings Bounty on PC or Genesis back in the day, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play Kings Bounty Legend.

It has to be one of the best WRPGs in awhile that I've played...Up there with Mass Effect and Oblivion. SRPG fans are going to love the tactical battles.

And if you even know what Kings Bounty even is, then you MUST play it. KB was one of the quintessential RPGs of the very early 90s. It's party based like most RPGs, but you hire your soliders to fight for you. KB:L has a huge listing of new characters, and the entirety of old fan favorites such as the deadly Pesant. Which has a major overhaul. I used them during the entire demo with great success.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

More details? Screens? Gameplay? Videos?

The game is already out. I doubt it's very hard to find information when you can download it from multiple websites already :)

A crash course in what King's Bounty is like:

Kings Bounty is a turn based action + Isometric WRPG.

You have 2 major components of gameplay:

Adventure:

You quest the countryside searching for treasure and artifacts in the name of the king. In the old KB game from 1990, you were attempting to find a buried treasure that would help defeat the bad guys, and let the king continue to rule. It's semi straightforward. The game contains lots of treasure. The first map/game play area has roughly 60 hot spots for items + battles. Like a good WRPG, these item locations are always set, but the contents randomized. You travel the world in search of said treasures, but the new KB game adds tons of various "fetch" and story quests that are pretty beefy, even in the demo.

In the adventuring, you can visit towns to recruit new army members. You get to field 5 different classes of monsters and men for your army. There are at least 50 types of recruitable characters ranging from cheap-o pesants (which cost almost nothing, and have very little damage values & hit points) up to dragons, cyclops, demons. Major classes consist of Human, Elf, Orc, Dwarf, Undead and Neutral (usually animal) characters.

And to build on that, your hero doesn't battle, at all. He merely leads the armies in to battle. One of the coolest things about KB is the fact your armies management is very critical: you start the game with a set number of "leadership" points, which increase as you find treasures, gain levels, and learn skills. Each army member has a set "value" of LP needed to be purchasable: a Dragon costs around 200x the amount of LP per unit. Not only this, your LP value is what you can get per character, so you can field insane numbers of characters in the endgame: thousands of peasants, dozens of dragons, and hundreds of orcs.

Also, you can purchase and equip various spells and typical weapons/armor to augment your armies damage and defense outputs.

Combat:

Each map area is chock full of battles. Battles are initated in a very old school JRPG style: You'll approach a monster party, and you'll get transferred to an isometric, hex-based grid. It usually is a 5 on 5 battle, but I've seen more enemies than that. Each army type has different skillsets and damage abilities, so you can exploit a ton of stuff in battle: A smart leader can kill the enemy party off before they land a single blow through heavy usage of ranged attacks.

The battles, as you'd guess, are very tactical, as there are many different things you have to deal with in a battle: units can counterattack, shoot arrows, use magic, and utilize almost every RPG concept you can think of, including uber attacks that can wipe out thousands of units at once.

Overall, theres not a whole lot that can be said about how unique of an RPG this is. It has a huge, massive adventure mode, and a very robust battle mode.

You can download the demo (takes about 2-3hrs to complete) at:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_32652.shtml

Nice, thanks for the info, I love these types of games.

mrstickball said:

If you've never played Kings Bounty on PC or Genesis back in the day, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play Kings Bounty Legend.

It has to be one of the best WRPGs in awhile that I've played...Up there with Mass Effect and Oblivion. SRPG fans are going to love the tactical battles.

And if you even know what Kings Bounty even is, then you MUST play it. KB was one of the quintessential RPGs of the very early 90s. It's party based like most RPGs, but you hire your soliders to fight for you. KB:L has a huge listing of new characters, and the entirety of old fan favorites such as the deadly Pesant. Which has a major overhaul. I used them during the entire demo with great success.

This is not the kings bounty game that i play when i was a kid, i play a kings bounty for the genesis produced by Electronics arts, the worst game in hystory

100% Mexican Power

Around the Network

Omg yes I played the Genesis one all those years ago. I loved it. There was another game that was just like it for PS2. Something Search for the Dragonbone or w/e. I should def. pick this up.

Woah, look like Heroes of Might and Magic. How do they compare gameplay wise?

Looks exactly like Heroes of Might and Magic, I'll defiantly have to try the demo.

superkasei said:
mrstickball said:

This is not the kings bounty game that i play when i was a kid, i play a kings bounty for the genesis produced by Electronics arts, the worst game in hystory

Kings Bounty for Genesis is the same one that came out for PC that this game is based off of. And I'd love to know what's so bad about KB on Genesis: It did as much for the Western SRPG genre that Herzog Zwei did for RTS games.

@ Galaki and Flagship:

A quick crash course of history for you: Kings Bounty was the direct predicessor of the Heroes of Might and Magic series. HMoM is far more strategic, and less RPG-ish. Kings Bounty (and this new one) are far more RPG oriented. There's no pervasive economy in the game. There is gold. And gold buys everything - Weapons, Armor, Armies, Ships, ect.

It really fusterated me, being a Genesis gamer back in the early 90's playing Kings Bounty (I still have a copy, despite not owning a Genesis anymore), and never getting a proper sequel till now. If you liked H:MoM, but want something more RPG-ish (and akin to the Might & Magic series), you'll want to play Kings Bounty.

And the demo gives you a good "feel" for the game. There's a great compliment of uber-battles in the demo that will tear you limb from limb early on. The learning curve is moderately paced: It's not the easiest game to grasp, and took me about 30 minutes to get re-acquainted with the new concepts of Legends, but it's very good. You'll be recruiting and battling pretty aptly in no time.

http://www.amazon.ca/Atari-27593-Battlelord-Kings-Bounty/dp/B0012N2AB6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1223014107&sr=8-1

Is that the one?