By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I hate building PCs

FishyJoe said:
I pretty much removed everything except the graphics card and memory and still get the error. So I'm guessing it's the motherboard. I think I'll die if I get a replacement and it still doesn't work.

Dibs on Fishy's Nintendo stock shares.  ^_^

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
FishyJoe said:
I pretty much removed everything except the graphics card and memory and still get the error. So I'm guessing it's the motherboard. I think I'll die if I get a replacement and it still doesn't work.

Dibs on Fishy's Nintendo stock shares.  ^_^

At the rate Nintendo is falling, they'll be worthless!

Try with old parts that work. Chances are you got a bad mobo.

lol...I had a problem with memory problems on my new quad-core intel board....and they said..."Oh, you need different memory..." WTF...so frustrating when you DIY for your desktop, but once you get it working right...it's a dream. I upgraded my old AMD desktop for years before needed a new PC. My current one will be a BEAST, once I get it working....I'm talking Crysis level beast...yes-ssssur!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Fishyjoe you are unlucky there..

I guess I got lucky with mine.. I just built a new one for myself last week, took me a few hours to set it up and and its up and running fine now. only had problem getting MSN to work under vista but thats sorted.

Just recently bought a new monitor too.  Although I don't really use it for pc gaming except a really old MMORPG called ragnarok, pshop and internetz

its possible your memory might be incompatible with the mobo but since you say its pci error my bet is the graphics card is either not set up correctly or its not compatible with your mobo.. :/  oooooor could be that the power supply isn't giving enough juice.. but I still think its something to do with the graphics card compatibility

Around the Network
jlauro said:
Could also be the memory. Did you get the memory and motherboard from the same place or different?

For that matter, I have seen cheap power supplies cause errors like that, especially if they were under sized.

It's not worth it. If I want it custom built, I'll either work with a local shop or find a place on ebay that looks like they do a lot and will let you tweak the config. Unless you are doing several at once, it just costs too much to build your own, especially when you consider your time...

I think it's more worth it if you are building a low end PC, they tend to have little choice of HW if bought preassembled and paying a local shop to build them would deny the price advantage of low end custom built. And ordering online gives me more choice than any shop in my town.

Also, I'm personally building my next low end PC because buying it preassembled I couldn't have either low noise and acceptable quality fans and power supply or the cheap but quite well done Enermax Pandora case or similar models, on low end models I only saw cheap, low quality and ugly cases with fans and power supplies as noisy as turbojets (again about choice).

About my next PC, I'll get a mobo with onboard ATI graphics, so that I'll be able to buy a graphics card later only if needed, but current ATI onboard graphics chipsets are already at least three times as fast as my old Radeon 9250, so I should be fine for a while.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!