By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 get above 120k this week WW?

Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:
It might, but here's the FAR more critical point of perception...there were COUNTLESS estimates and report at the start of 2008, which projected the PS3 not only to top the 360 by a WIDE margin, but even to challenge and top the Wii. Her ewe are in October…right before the holiday shopping season, and it’s looking like 360 might be the one challenging the Wii, albeit a unlikely 360 win. To add to this point, 3rd party publishers are STILL making the most money off the 360, so when you’re WAY behind in a race, status quo doesn’t normally help you. As some would like us to believe, 360 is going on a fire sale because M$ is pulling the plug…with games like Fable and Gears2 on the way, which will have to potential to deliver sales numbers to challenge GTA for the 360…hmmm…it’s going to be a shocking holiday season indeed!

Not at all. Read this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=1250

At the end of 07 most were prediciting PS3 would fall back into third, with a not so bright future.

Please, I'm talking about major media outlets, that pointed to a SLEW of content that would POWER the PS3 FTW.  Home, MGS4, LBP, etc were all suppose to deliver the boost...With LBP and Home on the way, they very well might boost the current status of the PS3, but unless there's more catalyst then that, I think it's safe to say that PS3 isn't going to finish in the top 2 slots for consoles...3rd place against the PS2 is looking promising thoough, and in that Sony can find some solace.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:
It might, but here's the FAR more critical point of perception...there were COUNTLESS estimates and report at the start of 2008, which projected the PS3 not only to top the 360 by a WIDE margin, but even to challenge and top the Wii. Her ewe are in October…right before the holiday shopping season, and it’s looking like 360 might be the one challenging the Wii, albeit a unlikely 360 win. To add to this point, 3rd party publishers are STILL making the most money off the 360, so when you’re WAY behind in a race, status quo doesn’t normally help you. As some would like us to believe, 360 is going on a fire sale because M$ is pulling the plug…with games like Fable and Gears2 on the way, which will have to potential to deliver sales numbers to challenge GTA for the 360…hmmm…it’s going to be a shocking holiday season indeed!

At the end of 07 most were prediciting PS3 would fall back into third, with a not so bright future. Where are these "Beating the Wii" predictions in early 08?

Erm.. i think you linked the wrong thread by accident, that one's about the Wii's internet browser...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:

At the end of 07 most were prediciting PS3 would fall back into third, with a not so bright future. Where are these "Beating the Wii" predictions in early 08?

Erm.. i think you linked the wrong thread by accident, that one's about the Wii's internet browser...

No, that looks about right...lol.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

Aj_habfan said:
Jo21 said:
Aj_habfan said:
Jo21 said:
it need to sell around 50k, and likely will. so yeah.

It sold 43k last week though, where is this boost coming from?

43k is around 50k and its the lowest it gone in ages, and will not likely go down more than that unless shortages are worse and we thought

Sales don't rise for no reason, give me something here.

There are no shortages! All that was said is that there is the potential of shortages later in the holiday season.

Are you simply searching for the right answer?

You are correct, sales don't just rise for no reason. But sales do Drop occasionally do to outside influences.

As you know, the 360 just had a pricedrop, and if the worst of it has passed, then the PS3 sales should begin to slowly raise to the level they were at before the 360 price drop. This is because possible PS3 buyers were taken away from Sony during the crazy "price cut fest" that Microsoft just had.

So yes, there is a chance that the PS3 will be above 120k this week, and an even better chance that the PS3 sales will have risen from last week as well.

But it will be close!

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

heruamon said:
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:

At the end of 07 most were prediciting PS3 would fall back into third, with a not so bright future.

Please, I'm talking about major media outlets, that pointed to a SLEW of content that would POWER the PS3 FTW.  Home, MGS4, LBP, etc were all suppose to deliver the boost...With LBP and Home on the way, they very well might boost the current status of the PS3, but unless there's more catalyst then that, I think it's safe to say that PS3 isn't going to finish in the top 2 slots for consoles...3rd place against the PS2 is looking promising thoough, and in that Sony can find some solace.

And they were right, the PS3 has completely changed its fortunes from a year ago. Sony was dead in the water, now the 360 had to drop to $200 to compete with Sony.

Do you believe what you type? 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
Spankey said:
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:

Lol, so sorry, fixed.

heruamon said:
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:

Sources that PS3 would beat wii from early 08. Any. I will settle for one.

ultraslick said:
Aj_habfan said:
Jo21 said:
Aj_habfan said:
Jo21 said:
it need to sell around 50k, and likely will. so yeah.

It sold 43k last week though, where is this boost coming from?

43k is around 50k and its the lowest it gone in ages, and will not likely go down more than that unless shortages are worse and we thought

Sales don't rise for no reason, give me something here.

There are no shortages! All that was said is that there is the potential of shortages later in the holiday season.

Are you simply searching for the right answer?

You are correct, sales don't just rise for no reason. But sales do Drop occasionally do to outside influences.

As you know, the 360 just had a pricedrop, and if the worst of it has passed, then the PS3 sales should begin to slowly raise to the level they were at before the 360 price drop. This is because possible PS3 buyers were taken away from Sony during the crazy "price cut fest" that Microsoft just had.

So yes, there is a chance that the PS3 will be above 120k this week, and an even better chance that the PS3 sales will have risen from last week as well.

But it will be close!

Fair enough, I'm not searching for the right answer, I'm searching for reason.

ultraslick said:
heruamon said:
Aj_habfan said:
heruamon said:

And they were right, the PS3 has completely changed its fortunes from a year ago. Sony was dead in the water, now the 360 had to drop to $200 to compete with Sony.

Do you believe what you type? 

Yep, I do.  This price cut for the 360 was expected at the beginning of this year, and was delayed, by the RROD repair cost, which has been now expensed out for M$.  So, I'm not sure why it was SUCH a surprised to some, as all you've gotta do is read the threads from Jan./Feb. timeframe.  PS3's fourtunes have turned from the absolute brink of disaster it was looking like last fall, but that wasn't the epectations for 2008, they expectations was for it to REGAIN the position of PS2...at least, not at this point.  It's going to be outsold by 360 in all 3 regions this week...I'm not sure ANYBODY expected that...not even M$...lol.

Can it sell sell 48K in America?? I think Yes.

4 ≈ One