By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gaming has Minor Effect on Reading, Homework, none on Social Interaction

sorry for leaving, my bad. i guess i cant have a life except the boards.

and what i was saying is that you actually read a lot more than you think u do. see those advertisements all over this site, you dont think you read them but you actually do look at the words subconsciously understand them.

i didnt read the whole thing (or much cause im not reading that much for this), but im gona wait until many many mroe studies are done to agree with this. seems extremely low to have boys read only 8 minutes a day.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

It does seem a bit silly not to include news sites, because that should really count as reading, because it's the same as reading from a newspaper, just off a PC screen. :/

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

This is disappointing. more people need to read, and hearing that people read 8 minutes a day is just shocking.

I read on average probably around an hour per day (depending on book releases and game releases). I'll admit gaming cuts into my reading time though, because when there's a new release on the DS I tend to play that during my commute rather than read.

But unfortunately, most people seem more interested in waiting for the movie.

I hope Harry Potter brings us a new generation of kids who grow up loving to read books.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

BenKenobi88 said:
I would like to know how much UK children read...I'm guessing it's more, but I'm curious.

Because...you know...Americans are dumb and such...I suppose it's no surprise.

You just casually insulted a whole bunch of people ;) ... although I don't disagree of what you said...

I'm not fond of reading but my friend who tells me that reading fictionals (and non-fictionals) is just like watching movies... Not sure how many think that way but I apparently don't since my English is still far from being able to draw picture in my head from words. 

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Umm...Well you do know that americans usually don't stand out as far as intellectual abilities go, when compared to most of the european nations.

Another aspect that is worth noticing is the vast amount of knowlegde that is left out in american or uk schools! My ex was admitted to senior year of an, let's say it, "elite" high school in England(she transferred from Russia). She later sent me copies of the tests(math, english, geography) that she had to pass to be admitted and i was shocked. The level of those tests were so low that you could have tripped over it.

I suppose that you go to college at the age of 18 in the US and UK, right?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network

What do you mean by college, because in the UK and US it's different. In the UK you go to college at the age of 16.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk