By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony upgrading cell chip for PS4

Alby_da_Wolf said:
@FJ-Warez: Sure now, perhaps, but working on it difficulties are solved as time goes by. Development tool get better too. So if after 6 years working on it you tell developers they won't have to start again from scratch, but their experience will be preserved and still be useful and will help them having a less tiring work, I don't think they'll be pissed.

Re-read his post, he is just putting more cores, 4 cells working thogether, more cores will not make the cut, AMD and Intel know this, and this is the main reason for the lack of use of the SPU... you can´t put everything on a thread on every core and expecto to work like a charm :)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Obviously not, but it wouldn't be like restarting from zero and once tools that exloit better multiple cores evolve, having 8 or 16 cores conceptually isn't very different, although its quite known that performances don't grow linearly with core number increase, for example when they came out, quad cores could have a computing power in luckier cases 70% greater than dual cores with the same clock and architecture and version of their cores.
Anyway I think Sony will have to work more on tools and giving developers better tools since the beginning than it did in PS3 early times, I know that SPE's are still underused, this must be solved to really make both players and developers happy and as an essential premise for success of an evolved Cell, if the current one will still be underused when its successor is released, the latter won't be of much use, I agree with you.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Factor 5 loved the Cell. They never had any issues with it, there problems lied in the gameplay of the game and the timeframe that they had to finish it. Other devs like the fallout guys, the Burnout guys, and Rockstar have all said that they love working with Cell no that they have learned the basics. With more time multi tasking CPUs will become very easy to work with. Nobody and nothing has ever been perfect day one. It takes time to learn something new, but if you stick with it great things are sure to happen.

The Cell concept is great and more SPE's and PPE's will make a huge differance. Cell is like having a whole bunch of people working together, only in the programming world they can't disobay. It may be more difficult to get them to do what you want, but once they get it, they will all work their hardest. Team work will always be better than solo work. No matter how good one person or proccessor is, they will never be able to compete with hundreds of people or proccessor working in tandum.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

^COD4 guys said they liked the cell too.