By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS's next XBOX already looks to have several disadvantages in terms of cost

Shadowblind said:

I have a feeling MS will be using a different, most likely much larger disc format next gen then Blu-Ray. I forget what its called but there is supposedly a disc type that can handle 300-400GB?

holographic storage.  i'm not sure it will be cost effective enough by ~2010 though.  i dunno maybe,..but it's still in the ballpark of $5000 atm (i think).  you know what...forget the last part cause i'm talking out of my ass.

Around the Network

MS used the dongle so they didn't pay license fees on the system only on the dongles. It's the same with Hdd... the license fee to Nvidia is part of the cost of the Hdd.

even if MS will use Blu, they won't have a big disadvantage. The BDA is not Sony and Sony is not the BDA. There are several companies involved. So in 2011 / 12 or whenever, Blu will be much cheaper than it is now. At least that is what we all hope for. So Blu won't have such a great effect on the costs like it does now for Sony.

So, following your argumentation, Sony has a disadvantage because the PCs they are working on are running Windows ?!?

And it is not always the cheaper way to produce something on yourself. Especially for a SOFTWARE company like MS, it might be cheaper to get the Blu-Ray-Drives made by somebody else. Outsourcing has some reasons.

So in a word: This won't be a disadvantage.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

It will use Bluray whatever the cost is. Eventually it will become the new standard (for movies too) and the size is sufficient enough for games at least for another 5 or so years.

Internet speed is still very slow and costly especially if paying per Mg downloads.
Infact HD Tv's are measurable against the accessibility of fast internet.

This is where Nintendo got it right, deciding to not force consumers into unreasonable costs such as ridiculously expensive PS3's and HD plasmas and lcd's. Now i mean expensive by emerging economy standards, not Western Euro standards. Worldwide, the majority of people haven't got Digital tv reception yet so why would HD be such an integral need.

Of course this circles back round to BluRay and why DVD's are king of the disc medium also.

I dont know what will happen but it isn't so clear cut.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

even if MS will use Blu, they won't have a big disadvantage. The BDA is not Sony and Sony is not the BDA. There are several companies involved. So in 2011 / 12 or whenever, Blu will be much cheaper than it is now. At least that is what we all hope for. So Blu won't have such a great effect on the costs like it does now for Sony.

So, following your argumentation, Sony has a disadvantage because the PCs they are working on are running Windows ?!?

And it is not always the cheaper way to produce something on yourself. Especially for a SOFTWARE company like MS, it might be cheaper to get the Blu-Ray-Drives made by somebody else. Outsourcing has some reasons.

So in a word: This won't be a disadvantage.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

It will use Bluray whatever the cost is. Eventually it will become the new standard (for movies too) and the size is sufficient enough for games at least for another 5 or so years.

Internet speed is still very slow and costly especially if paying per Mg downloads.
Infact HD Tv's are measurable against the accessibility of fast internet.

This is where Nintendo got it right, deciding to not force consumers into unreasonable costs such as ridiculously expensive PS3's and HD plasmas and lcd's. Now i mean expensive by emerging economy standards, not Western Euro standards. Worldwide, the majority of people haven't got Digital tv reception yet so why would HD be such an integral need.

Of course this circles back round to BluRay and why DVD's are king of the disc medium also.

I dont know what will happen but it isn't so clear cut.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I dont know, maybe they just need a 1 terabyte hdd (or maybe 2). Downloable games are the future.

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

they will make propietary disc is possible.

Rumors have it that M$ is looking into a proprietary format.

dallas said:
"1. They need the beefed up combo to take advantage of the games. Why would sony want a so-so CPU/GPU and an expensive BD drive? Having so-so specs while having a BD drive would be a waste b/c you wouldn't be able to do much at all with the games that you've paid a premium to have storage space on.
2. If MS chooses a proprietary format they won't even be able to play dvds which would be a big mistake. If MS chooses dvd then they won't be able to play Blu games which would make them eat sony's dust

1. So why does the PS3 only have 256 system memory & 256 GPU memory and the 360 with 512 total?... thats sounds kind of so-so to me and it still works fine on both formats.  

2. Maybe you should look up the Nintendo Q (made only for japan). It was made by Panasonic (they made the optical drive for the gamecube) and it plays both the Gamecube games and DvD formats. I also wanted it so baddly I imported it and had it modded. WOOT! Just because you make a propietary format does not mean you can not get both to play.

Thats 0-2 btw.

As much as every one argues about this or that. No one really knows whats going to happen.

*IF they go with blue-ray they will pay a small fee to Sony, nuthing more than anyone else. The world will not end and the games will go on. The end.

*IF they chose to make their own format or use some other kind of media... memory stick *SHUTTER* for example. The world will not end, and the games will go on. The end.

"Leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game company’s, who don't know or care about you!"