By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to outsell the ps3 again in Japan?

Lord N said:
Shadowblind said:
Lord N said:
mrstickball said:
Goddbless said:
A year ago this would have been an easy question but now it actually has merit. Things change so quickly in this industry.

It's not so much that things change quickly, as it is that Microsoft did what was needed to make themselves competitive...Unlike last generation.

It's not that hard for a system to do well in Japan, or any country, really (provided there aren't strange circumstances such as mainland Europe's dislike of the X360 due to their hatred of Microsoft and their quality controls).

If the Playstation 3 had made the same moves - Bought up big 3rd party IPs, made aggressive pricedrops, and marketed properly, they could of been competitive with the Wii, but they didn't. Likewise, if the Wii had done the same, it'd be selling 70,000 a week and not 30,000 a week.

It's all about positioning, and Microsoft is trying to position themselves as the Otaku console in Japan, and not the Playstation 3. And unlike Sony, they are doing a pretty good job at securing a litany of JRPGs, western games, and other niche products that the Wii and PS3 have overlooked.

This is so shortsighterd it's not funny.

Buying up third-party IP's really makes little difference. If it mattered, then MS would be on top in every region considering that they've got by far the most money, but instead, they're in 2nd in the US and last in EU and Japan.

Because THIS is why a console made by one of the most hated companies ever became succesful, and THIS is why it has a better attach rate then that "poor" selling console you spoke of and the "great" selling console. THIS is why they created what is easily the greatest online service ever created.

THIS is why its fans are happy, and the owners of its consoles are still playing it.

I know its hard to understand, but game consoles are made to make people HAPPY, and getting exclusives does that.

Whether or not it's successful is up for debate considering that

-It sells decently in N. America, poorly in Europe/PAL regions, and next to nothing in Japan.

-Has been bested in all regions despite a year headstart.

-Hasn't turned a profit.

Whether or not it has the greatest online service is also up for debate because everyone's idea of good, bad, better, and worse are different. There are plenty of people out there who will tell you that the PSN and even Nintendo's online service are better.

Attach rates also mean nothing, and neither does the fact that people are happy with it. The 360 has a higher attach rate than the Wii, but which has actually moved more software? Lots of people are happy with their Saturns and Dreamcasts(my self included), but that really doesn't change anything about their market performance.

You don't think that if consumers are happy with a product, and that product has helped others(game publishers) market their products well, its a success? Interesting.

What you seem not to understand is that it is NOT selling poorly in the US or Europe. Just because its not selling as good as other consoles by no means labels it a failure. Compared to the original Xbox and the Gamecube, its selling fantastic.

Microsoft has stated that this will be the first year in a long run of years that they will be turning a profit on for the Xbox brand.

XBL may be debatable as the best online service, but that doesn't change the fact that they are making huge amounts of profit from it, thus making it a "success" as you say.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

Sales wise, the 360 is a failure in Japan, you really can't argue that. When the company is happy with a sale figure not even reaching the the five digit mark on a weekly basis you know that it isn't a very healthy machine.

Whether the consumer who purchase the machine are happy or not bears no relevance to the 'success' of a console, all the matter is sales and profit and M$ has neither in Japan.

A unsuccessful console doesn't discount it from being a good console. I still think the Dreamcasts was the best piece of hardware last gen.

mibuokami said:
Sales wise, the 360 is a failure in Japan, you really can't argue that. When the company is happy with a sale figure not even reaching the the five digit mark on a weekly basis you know that it isn't a very healthy machine.

Whether the consumer who purchase the machine are happy or not bears no relevance to the 'success' of a console, all the matter is sales and profit and M$ has neither in Japan.

A unsuccessful console doesn't discount it from being a good console. I still think the Dreamcasts was the best piece of hardware last gen.

So I guess that you think Sony are the same in their homeland. Because they are selling 4 figures regularly now. I guess you have missed that the only time 360 hasnt sold well in Japan recently is when there is a stock shortage. They again would likely have had over 20,000 on last weeks numbers, if again they were not sold out in most shops. What the real test will be is when M$ can keep the stores stocked how many a week M$ will sell up to and throughout christmas. I hate to say it mate, but I think M$ can outsell the PS3 in Japan for the rest of the year. As long as they KEEP STOCK.

mibuokami said:

So I guess that you think Sony are the same in their homeland. Because they are selling 4 figures regularly now. I guess you have missed that the only time 360 hasnt sold well in Japan recently is when there is a stock shortage. They again would likely have had over 20,000 on last weeks numbers, if again they were not sold out in most shops. What the real test will be is when M$ can keep the stores stocked how many a week M$ will sell up to and throughout christmas. I hate to say it mate, but I think M$ can outsell the PS3 in Japan for the rest of the year. As long as they KEEP STOCK.

mibuokami said:

Around the Network
mibuokami said:

mibuokami said:

mibuokami said:

mibuokami said:

ok, we got it the first time selnor.