By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sell me on your system of choice

I don't know. No one here does.

What are you looking for in your new console? I own a Wii, and I think it's the best overall console this generation, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. The same goes for the other consoles...it's all about what you're looking for in your gaming machine. Misterd asked some great questions above, and without answers to those questions we haven't got a clue what console to recommend.

For instance, if you want a superb online experience, you should definitely get the Xbox 360. If you're enticed by the idea of motion-sensing controls (done the right way), the Wii is obligatory. If money is not a problem and you desperately want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 as soon as it comes out, then the PS3 is your console. But I'm far from covering everything.

As far as software goes, all three consoles pretty much have great upcoming titles headed their way, but you should do some research yourself and make your own mind regarding what you'd rather be playing in the future, than believe anyone in here, including myself.

Wii # 4594 3226 7132 0861 (please PM me your if you add me, so I can add you too!)

Taltosh
Around the Network
chuckd said:
RolStoppable said:

First thing to ask for a salesman: Have you been playing videogames before and if so which games did you like? This would make it much easier for us to decide which console is the best choice for you.

Well, I was hoping that I would get your and other's opinions of what's been most enjoyable in your experiences with these consoles. But as far as myself, I'm a big time pc guy. So fps and rts are most of the stuff that I play right now, but that doesn't really matter, imo, because I'm looking at consoles for a completely different experience. Oh, and I have a lot of old school games in my game room (nes, snes, genesis, ps1, dreamcast, 2600 and a mame machine)

I'd like to thank Andir and dannyphantom105 for their good responses and putting the ps3 squarely in the lead. But I do have one question: Are there any games for which a keyboard and mouse are supported? I'm not sure I could play an fps w/o them.

Edit: Thanks DarkD also! You posted while I was typing.

I think you said it the best: "I'm looking at consoles for a completely different experience".

I am a PC guy (as well as a console guy), and I think if you come from that camp there really isn't much that the PS3 or 360 can offer you in terms of a "completely different experience".

The PS3 and the 360 (albeit with adapters/converters) allow you to hook up keyboards and mice so you can get your FPS gaming on. Having said that, neither will give you either improved graphics or gameplay over a PC.

If what you really are after is a "completely different experience", then get the Wii. It is different and unique, and is cheap enough so if you get sick of it you can always sell it off at close to or above retail, then buy one of the other consoles. Being a PC guy yourself, you should be no stranger to buying the wrong hardware and constantly upgrading anyhow! Just don't expect the Wii to knock your socks off in the graphics department because it won't!

(FIRST OF ALL -- DO YOU HAVE A DS? IF NOT, IGNORE THE REST OF THIS AND GET THAT RIGHT NOW. I'M NOT KIDDING.)

I would say that the best console for you is either the Wii or the 360 depending on what kind of games you like. I would lean toward Wii because of the 360's dependability issues. Wii games tend to me more varied in type and target audience, which is counterbalanced by the 360's greater library (so even neglected audiences have one or two games by sheer numbers). The 360 has online gaming, but, on the other hand, you have to pay for the good stuff. Also, I'm sure you know this already, but stay the hell away from Xbox 360 Core.

The Wii has or will have before 2008:
ALL GAMECUBE GAMES
Virtual Console
ZELDA
Rayman, Wario Ware
Trauma Center
Marble Mania
Mario Strikers Charged
Resident Evil 4 (ignore this if you have it on another system)
MARIO
METROID
SMASH BROS.
NiGHTS

The 360 has many, many games, but some of the best ones are (or will be):
MOST MAJOR XBOX GAMES
Xbox Live Arcade
OBLIVION
GEARS OF WAR
Viva Pinata
Dead or Alive 4
LOTR: Battle for Middle-Earth II
Lost Planet
Forza Motorsport 2
HALO 3
BIOSHOCK
MASS EFFECT

And I'm sure that there are many [edit: NOT] on this quickie list, many EXTREMELY good titles, that I'm just not thinking of. Look at these games, and decide which system is more likely to have games that appeal to you. Keep in mind that the Wii is only $250 retail, while the 360 Premium is $400 -- BUT you may have to pay a scalper upwards of $300 for a Wii if you don't feel like ambushing a store at 7:00 AM delivery day.

As for the PS3 -- well, I bought one, and no regrets, but it is NOT currently the best choice if you're only going to buy one console. I don't mean the price, I mean the availability of games. But if you're going to buy one, for God's sake go with hardware compatibility AKA the $500 60GB one. You can slap in any size laptop HDD you want, if you so choose.

I must say that, all teasing aside, Sony made a very nice machine. Easy to do simple mods (read: no $100 proprietary tiny hard drive screw you Microsoft!), easy to boot Linux or what-have-you, standard power cord and USB-mini cords for controller charging -- now if only it had some games.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
(FIRST OF ALL -- DO YOU HAVE A DS? IF NOT, IGNORE THE REST OF THIS AND GET THAT RIGHT NOW. I'M NOT KIDDING.)

I concur.  There are games for the DS that you won't find for a PC (or other console, for that matter, barring perhaps the Wii) in any shape, size or form, period.

Additionally, the DS is much cheaper than a Wii!

your mother said:
Final-Fan said:

I concur. There are games for the DS that you won't find for a PC (or other console, for that matter, barring perhaps the Wii) in any shape, size or form, period.

Additionally, the DS is much cheaper than a Wii!

Ditto the games!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network

If you are only going to get one console this generation the Sony Playstation 3 is the only way to go. The PS3 is the only system to deliver truly next generation gameplay, alongside breathtaking CG quality graphics. With the widest viriety of genres across any console the PS3 has something for everyone. If you want to have an epic adventure, the PS3 Has that. If you are looking for games to play together the PS3 has them. Have kids at home that want to play games, their is no place with more games for kids than the PS3. And it does't stop at just gaming with the PS3. The system also plays Blu Ray movies which are spectacular if you have an HDTV. Here is a break down of the Playstation 3 Home Entertanment System.

Games

First Party and Second Party

I'll start here as this is the reason 90% of all game systems are purchased. Over the past ten years Sony has dumped billions of dollars into their first party studios to create what is today one of the largest development teams on the planet. In 2005 Sony created it's World Wide Studios (SCEWWS) which brought all of its devs together to share tools giving them the most resources to create the highest quality games in the industry. Sony currently has more than 20 titles indevelopment for the PS3 all ready for release by December 2008, that comes to roughfly 1 title a month for the next year. These are new IPs  like Singstar, Eye of Judgment, Little Big Planet, Afrika, Lair, Uncharted, and Heavanly Sword. Along with big franchises such as Gran Turismo, Killzone, Rathchet and Clank, God of War, and The Getaway. These are the games that seperate the PS3 from the pack, and show what the future of gameing is.

Third Party

As awsome as Sonys first party stuff is you can not forget about the 3rd partys that have always been on PS3. With big exclusives like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy comeing only to PS3 it is hard to not be tempted to go for it already, but Playstation is all about verity. This year Sony has done a great job of getting tools to developers to help them make the playstation version of all games the best. At GDC Sony unveilled the Playstation Edge tool which will help devs take better advantage of the Cell processor, pushing games to a level unattainable buy any other home console, and at E3 Sony announced that it has signed a deal with Epic who currently has the most used programming engine this gen, giveing them the assistance they need to make The Unreal 3 engine run on

PS3 better than any other platform.

Entertainment

The Playstation brad has always been at the forfront of entertainment, and the PS3 is no exception. When the PS1 launched sony was the first to utilize the CD for game storage while also allowing the play back of music disks, with PS2 Sony extended that to DVD allowing for Movies, Music, and Games in an all in one box. Now with the PS3 Sony has yet again made the most versitial box of it generation. With built in Blu Ray playback and an Internal HDD the PS3 is the only system to deliver HD Movies, Music, and Games all straight out of the box.

The Playstation 3 is the only console built to be future proof and for that reason it is the only console ready for Internet 2 with a 1Gbit ethernet port. At the moment PSN Sonys online network is in its infancy, delivering content mostly for gamers with downoads of, game trailers, demos, and add ons. Sony is not standing still however, this fall Sony will be bringing out a mamoth internet service lead by the online community based home, and backed up by TV over IP, Video on demand, and a download service to give itunes a run for its money. The PS3 is truly a Multimedia beast, when coupling DLNA, and Remote play the PS3 can be the Media hub of your home. Imagine one machine that can access all of the media off you computer and PSP and display it on your TV, and can give you access to it on the go with a PSP and a cell phone. If you have any interest in the conected world the PS3 is for you.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Wii rox my sox... Play them all, look at upcoming line-ups and go with your gut.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

PS3 - everything what X360 offers (and more) but sony's system is much reliable and better equipped (WiFi, HDMI, HDD, BR...) Definitely the difference is worth this $100.

KBG29 said:

I can understand your views on the PS3, but in all honesty, many of the unique selling points you mention may be moot for a PC gamer:

The PS3 is the only system to deliver truly next generation gameplay, alongside breathtaking CG quality graphics.
The PC's had that for years.

With the widest viriety of genres across any console the PS3 has something for everyone.
The PC blows all three consoles' lineup of titles, combined, out of the water.

Have kids at home that want to play games, their is no place with more games for kids than the PS3.
Again, the PC is the console to get if you are talking about kids, especially toddlers. The PC is the only platform that has a wide selection of EC (Early Childhood) titles to choose from.

The system also plays Blu Ray movies which are spectacular if you have an HDTV.
This point is very true, as even though I can buy a Blu-ray player/burner for a PC, the overall experience isn't as seamless. The cheapest Blu-ray for PCs still costs around 450 clams; having said that, it does burn Blu-rays as well, which the PS3 doesn't handle. I'm sure internal Blu-ray players will be much cheaper than that.

Apart from that, though, many of the USPs for the PS3 are simply irrelevant:

The Playstation 3 is the only console built to be future proof and for that reason it is the only console ready for Internet 2 with a 1Gbit ethernet port.
You know, when I bought my new PC recently, I chose an ASUS mainboard and they didn't even have options without Gigabit - my mainboard comes with two gigabits built-in, with wireless AP built-in as well.

Most of the other points you mentioned aren't even ready yet, so I still think those points about the PSN delivering downloadable movies is irrelevant, as it doesn't exist yet. You can, however, start downloading games and movies on a PC. Xbox Live also offers HD movie and TV downloads right now.

Edit: Not dissing the PS3 - just want to put things into perspective. The OP said he comes from a PC world and is looking for a completely different experience, and honestly, the points you mention simply aren't very compelling from a PC gamer's perspective.

You know, KBG29, even if you do manage to sell this guy a PS3, you're not going to get commission on it.

Or are you?

Seriously, that was the most blatant sales pitch I've yet seen on this forum other than "Buy a ___!" Where did you copy/paste it from? Sony.com?