By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever bought the sega saturn, dreamcast or n-gage??

mrstickball said:
Actually, I'd argue that the main reason Sega failed was a lack of 3rd party support. During the Sega Genesis years, there was a decent bit of support from 3rd parties, whereas the Saturn did not, due to insanely difficult properties of the Saturn's archatecture (sound familiar).

The Saturn only had maybe 2-3 games hit 1m units sold worldwide, and left Sega with a much worse base to sell from for the better-selling Dreamcast. Look at VGC's numbers: DC was FAR more popular in Japan, and sold alot better than Saturn and even SMS combined. But without the strong western games from EA, it kind of fell apart.

People always complain that the N64 lost the most marketshare from a console to another console. It did not. The Genesis>Saturn takes that title by a mile. The SNES>N64 lost about 15m units, or around 30%. The Genesis>Saturn lost 15-20m units.

A good synopsis of Segas failure in the creation of the Saturn can be seen here, with LOTS of great info as to why Playstation became so popular, so quickly and dominately. And why Sony's totally changed their theory path:

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=SegaBase+Saturn

That page is must-read for anyone wanting to know about 5th gen systems.

I don't know how you remember it, but saturn was far more popular in Japan than Dreamcast was.  Saturn was the console that didn't have the support of western companies, DC had far more support from western developers even though they didn't have it from EA.  Saturn sold 5.74 million consoles in Japan despite it only selling 3 million outside of Japan.  DC sold 2.32 million in Japan and almost 7 million outside of Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

My son owned an Ngage and had many many games for it as you could download them for free from Limewire etc instead of paying the rip off price of £30 each!!!
Graphics were at least as good as GBA.

I believe the original model sold well over 1 millon worldwide which is pretty good considering how many mobile phones there are out there to choose from.

Small but nice screen, very good graphics, can be used as an mp3 player and expandable storage using a memory card, but using it as a phone looked just so stupid as you had to hold it on its side and speak into the outside edge.

I owned both Saturn and Dreamcast. I didn't really care that they both got canned. I was disappointed with the amount of games on them, but the ones I owned were very good and overall I was satisfied with my purchases. For some reason in modern gaming it's not about how much you like the games but whether your console is winning or not. I never once regretted buying a Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, or Gamecube. I also owned a PSone and PS2, but truth be told I overall liked my losing consoles better. I have a Wii, but I'm about to buy a 360, which won't be "winning" this generation either. The winners are the people who enjoy the games they bought.

It's not that I'm not interested in sales numbers. In fact, I find game sales to be one of the most interesting trends to follow, but they have nothing to do with how much I enjoy my consoles. NiGHTS is still one of my favorite games of all time, as is Metroid Prime, and both of them were on consoles that sold like crap.

I think dreamcast failed because of a lack of very strong first party franchises. The N64 could have been as bad as the dreamcast, except for mario, link, etc. All Sega has is Sonic, and they've had a difficult time bringing him to 3D.

I also owned a DC (I believe after it was canned), just to own some of the really good games for that system (there were many).

it really sucks to know that something that i may like...others may not like and the system fails...and i fail also with it...it really sucks!!! has anyone felt that way before....like for example the sega saturn was released i liked it panzer dragoon and nights was the best games ever and then the system wasnt successful with the market...and sega withdrew the console to start the dreamcast...but leaving those decicated fans a slap in the face...that really sucks!!!!

Around the Network
Tetsuya said:
im trying to figure something out...these consoles were all failures due to the companies withdrawling the console from the market...if anyone has owned one of those consoles listed..can u tell me how u felt?? cause i owned a sega saturn when it launched and within months or so...sega withdrawal the saturn in for the dreamcast....grrrrrr...i hate that!!!

I bought a Dreamcast, an extra controller and memory card, and a few games for $10 a few years ago (and later bought some more games for $1 each) and I'm still regretting it.

twesterm said:
Tetsuya said:
im trying to figure something out...these consoles were all failures due to the companies withdrawling the console from the market...if anyone has owned one of those consoles listed..can u tell me how u felt?? cause i owned a sega saturn when it launched and within months or so...sega withdrawal the saturn in for the dreamcast....grrrrrr...i hate that!!!

I bought a Dreamcast, an extra controller and memory card, and a few games for $10 a few years ago (and later bought some more games for $1 each) and I'm still regretting it.

yea im still thinking about it too...im pissed off at that i bought a sega saturn...but the past is the past and sega is gone..im just hoping sony, microsoft or nintendo dont withdrawl or follow sega steps...cause sega was a bad influence to all!!!! O_O

Tetsuya said:
twesterm said:
Tetsuya said:

yea im still thinking about it too...im pissed off at that i bought a sega saturn...but the past is the past and sega is gone..im just hoping sony, microsoft or nintendo dont withdrawl or follow sega steps...cause sega was a bad influence to all!!!! O_O

if you are so pissed, i will give you 100 dollars for your console, all controllers/memory cards and entire game library, depending on which games you have.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Avalach21 said:
Tetsuya said:
twesterm said:
Tetsuya said:

if you are so pissed, i will give you 100 dollars for your console, all controllers/memory cards and entire game library, depending on which games you have.

Dude, if you want my DC that badly you can have it for $100.  I don't really remember what games I had, but I know I had Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, and Record of Lodoss War (worst game ever).

I own 4 Dreamcasts also... 1 NTSC-US, 1 NTSC-PAL, 1 PAL and 1 PAL-Region Modded.

It was, and still is probably my favourite console of all time, the games on that console were terrific, and I still even think that the graphics capability of that console compare to some stuff on Wii... It was so unfortunate to see the way things panned out with the Dreamcast as it got off to a good start.

The console was a SHAMBLES in Australia, absolutely NO support and I believe sold a total of like 5,000 consoles... absolutely shockingly low number.

More support would have lifted that console much higher, the 3D technology was so much more efficient than the PS2...

But I'm a closet ex-Sega fanboy (I really kind of hate them now)... so yah.

I also owned and still own 2 saturns I loved this console also... mainly because of Nights but there were also many good games that hardly any people knew about... pity there was no real definitive Sonic game on that console. Burning Rangers, NiGHTS, Daytona were probably my most played games on Saturn. Still to this day I cannot find Panzer Dragoon Saga for a reasonable price.