By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your Folding Home Score.

I've just started with this project. Only 1 WU so far. How about you?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=kber81

Maybe Official PS3 VG Charts Team isn't a bad idea? 

Around the Network

What is all this folding talk I hear about?

Please enlighten me.

My English is far too lame to explain this so I will provide a link for you.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Yeah, I would join the official folding team. And for people who don't have PS3s they could use the PC and Mac clients.

I currently have 3 units done (1 waiting to be uploaded). But I did have an extra 5 before I screwed up my PS3 (I broke the backwards compatability) and had to restore my PS3 back to factory settings.

ArtofAngels said:
What is all this folding talk I hear about?

Please enlighten me.

kbey81's link should explain it for you, but I'll explain it worse...It basically simulates the "folding" of a protein in an attempt to provide usuable data for researchers to try and figure out how to find a solution for Cancer, Alzheimer's, and others.

PCs have been doing it for years, and before the PS3 there was code developed for GPUs on the PC.  CPUs on the PC are the slowest but are able to calculate more complicated folding than GPUs.  GPUs on the PC are the only things faster than the PS3 Cell right now, but the number of GPUs running the program are few and it can only do a limited number compared to CPUs.

Since the PS3 started folding, it accounts for more than half of the total teraflops for the project (despite only 25,017 PS3s being active recently as opposed to 181,685 PC CPUs).  In fact, it's currently at 453 out of 727.  If it were to reach 1000 total (gigaflop), it would be the first program in the world to reach that number of processing power working on one thing.

folding would easily reach that mark if every online PS3 folded.  I guess I'm part of the problem since I turn my PS3 off at night.  I've only set 9 work units (completed foldings) so far.  The PS3 does work on complicated ones that take awhile, though.  I've probably folded for about 80 hours so far.  It only folds during idle time, which is a nice option that the program has.

Great thread idea, kber81.  This subject needs more attention brought back to it. 

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Yeah, I would join the official folding team. And for people who don't have PS3s they could use the PC and Mac clients.

I currently have 3 units done (1 waiting to be uploaded). But I did have an extra 5 before I screwed up my PS3 (I broke the backwards compatability) and had to restore my PS3 back to factory settings.

Got you beat by 1 then, until that 1 is uploaded, heh.

I'd join the team, too, even though right now I'm with Kotaku's group.

Edit:  the folding map is differently brighter at night... 

windbane said:

Edit: the folding map is differently brighter at night...

Yeah. Probably cities lights. I like the sight on the Nile.

kber81 said:
windbane said:

Edit: the folding map is differently brighter at night...

Yeah. Probably cities lights. I like the sight on the Nile.

I think it's an indicator of where people are folding.  Blue is PC and Yellow is PS3.

That Nile does look cool.  I hadn't noticed that before. 

windbane - I've uploaded the unit, and now working on the 4th.

btw - kber81, I've sent you a friend request

SamuelRSmith said:

btw - kber81, I've sent you a friend request

Thanks. I've just added you.