By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Crazy thought! Do you think we could've still playing the NES?

That is of course if there was no competition. Imagine if there had been no Sega Genesis or Turbo-16, Neo Geo or anything else at that time and Nintendo didn't feel the pressure of competing systems and thus didn't feel any need to put out the SNES. And if you can take that thought further, imagine they didn't have any competition in the future from Sony or Microsoft, etc. Do you think Nintendo may have just stuck with the very successful NES that had some classic games like the SMB series, Megaman, CastleVania, Contra, TMNT, Final Fantasy and many more.

Do you think eventually gamers would've gotten bored no matter how great the games because the graphics didn't change much after a while and at what point? When do you think they would've released a successor? Or would it have been possible we might still have been playing the NES if it somehow stayed successful.

Crazy thought, I know but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Around the Network

FFXIII would be pushing NES to the 8-bit max!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

xD
Indeed it would :D

Take my love, take my land..

Killzone 2 NES.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

no, pc gaming would have been the the gaming platform

Around the Network

Yes, gamers would have gotten bored. That said, I still play Nes games on the Virtual Console =)

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Nintendo would still release new consoles. Even if hypothetically PC gaming never caught on and 3D graphics cards were never widely adopted. Even if there was no other competition in the console market. A company can only sell so much of a product before it reaches a ceiling. Thus, a new console would be released to sell to those who already bought the previous console. So even in an imaginary world where there's only a Nintendo monopoly in gaming, said world would only be behind a generation or two. After all, Microsoft constantly released new versions of Windows with a virtual monopoly.

No product remains fresh for longer than about 15 years; 20 at best, more often 10 or less. Had nothing emerged after the NES, the console game market would have crashed some time between 1993 and 2003 (likely 1993; entertainment has a notoriously short lifespan, especially when it's imperfect at what it does).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Thanks to Virtual Console, I am still playing the NES.

But seriously, Jo21 has the right of it. PC would have taken over.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Euphoria14 said:
Killzone 2 NES.

I don't know, I think that would be more than an 8 bit system could handle but not quite up to the standard of 16 bit? Is there such thing as a 12 bit system???

And who do the helmets look like the ghosts from Pac-Man? I thought at first it was some violent version of Pac-Man at first.

I'll come up with something better eventually...