By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - McCain suspending his campaign

Whatever, Bj. Political stunt, and not only will it not help the situation in Congress, it will simply make it worse.

Because now what do we have? We have Republicans saying "yay! This will be great! Yay McCain is here!" and Democrats saying "Oh fuck sake. Don't bring that shit in here. We were about to get some shit done and now everybody's gotta tow a party line, Republicans and Dems both".

All McCain is doing is reinforcing partisan politics at a critical time where we need cooperation and quick action, not partisanship. He's trying to force Obama's hand and come out looking like a decisive leader/hero, but the only thing he's doing is endangering the progress on this bailout both on speed and addition of oversight and protections.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:

A desperate move by McCain. If it is able to change McCain's slide in the polls is yet to be seen, however I think most of them are smart enough to see it as a political ploy.

Is it really? He may be trying to show the people who cares about the economy, but should he be critized for this? He's setting aside what could be his greatest accomplishment in life to try to unite Washington and resolve the biggest problem of the country right now.

If that's a bad thing, then the country and people are lost.

@ Big Jon - Man, I admire your GOP spin. Please, put down the jesus juice and open your eyes.

The story is a joke more than anything. They didn't say she has more experience than Obama, and he didn't say she was the perfect VP - he said she was hot. Now, the GOP is quick to call things 'sexist,' why not call out this comment?!

Dude, Obama and McCain aren't president yet. And truthfully, with McCain talking about the economy is fundamentally sound, and this is coming from a guy who can't remember the number of houses or cars he has - I know - I have two trucks and half of a house - I *may* lose it - and Obama has one house and one 200-something Ford Escape Hybrid.

Tell the class, BigJon - why are you so anti-Obama? Just be real, son. What is it? Why don't you wanna go for change?

I'll PM you the reasons I'll never, ever vote GOP.

bigjon said:
It just reinforces the fact Obama is the more partison canidate.

If by fact you mean your opinion fine, it reinforces your opinion.  However actual facts, and given your posts lately I highly suggest you look up what the word means in a dictionary, seem to state otherwise.

Senator Obama was the one to initiate contact between the campaigns and put forth the suggestion of releasing a bipartisan statement ever since it became clear that both candidates were expressing similar concerns on the bailout.  Senator McCain brought up the possibility of suspending campaigns/delaying the debates but Obama told him to hold off and first let's get the statement out.  At which point McCain blindsided him by going public in an effort to try to claim the political high ground by seemingly putting country before politics.

However the way he went about it trying to force Obama's hand by publically calling to delay the debates really takes away any credibility he has as far as trying to pretend he's avoiding partisan politics and actually caring about the financial issues at hand.

I honestly think this is going to make it more difficult for Congress to do anything for reasons people mentioned above. It has turned bailing out the economy into a political issue rather than a policy issue.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
ManusJustus said:

A desperate move by McCain. If it is able to change McCain's slide in the polls is yet to be seen, however I think most of them are smart enough to see it as a political ploy.

Is it really? He may be trying to show the people who cares about the economy, but should he be critized for this? He's setting aside what could be his greatest accomplishment in life to try to unite Washington and resolve the biggest problem of the country right now.

If that's a bad thing, then the country and people are lost.

If he cared about the economy, homie would have done research before spitting out the fundamentally strong economy crap. He's out of touch - and admits he doesn't know about the economy. What in the devil is he gonna do?

Put it like this - I want to find the cure to cancer and remove tumors, but with just 6 months of being a nursing major, I decide to go to M.D. Anderson here in Houston and operate. Not cool, huh?

Let's just call things what they are - he said he was clueless about the economy and wants to suspend campaigning to focus on it? ROTFL. It's a ploy, palin and simple.

There's an entire CONGRESS and having a presidential candidate in the vacinty will only motivate more camera crews and photo ops. I thought that myself and saw several leaders on the Hill said the same thing.

It's more political stunt. Wanna put *Country First?* Sell a few of your houses and cars and help fund an orphanage.

As far as delaying the debates - only one thing. The camp just asked to gimp Palin's VP debate, and now this. It's a desperation move - because McCain wants to have the VP debate be the Pres debate and basically doing away with the one VP debate. Get the memo now? He is using this stunt to whack one of the VP debates.

That jack move is only putting McCain first, not country.

Username2324 said:

He may be trying to show the people who cares about the economy

If that were true, he would be voting against this foolish bailout. Unfortunately, McCain and the other (supposed) Republicans are supporting this lock, stock and barrel. Read the party platform, McCain, it expressly states that it opposes bailouts of private institutions.

akuma587 said:
I honestly think this is going to make it more difficult for Congress to do anything for reasons people mentioned above. It has turned bailing out the economy into a political issue rather than a policy issue.

Why more McCain supporters don't admit this frustrates me.  Regardless of how much you think McCain and/or Obama could help during these negotations they won't.  They will hinder the negotitations considering the political climate and how close we are getting to election day.  Suddenly anything they say won't be taken as the comments or opinions of another senator but their respective parties' potential presidential candidate.  This will pressure other senators to react in ways they would otherwise not. 

If John McCain were serious about not mixing partisan politics with this serious financial crisis, he would either stay far away from the senate floor or follow Barack Obama's lead on putting out a joint bipartisan statement detailing what the candidates think the bill should include.  As soon as he gets there and the cameras start clicking on "Candidate McCain/Obama" everyone will think twice about anything they say/do regarding what is included in this important legislation and we'll get caught up in partisan bickering which is not what we need right now.

The Democrats turned it Political the second they decided that should pin it on Bush/ Mccain.

Also, Madskillz you said you were a christian? So why are you saying things like Jesus juice? I find that confusing.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
The Democrats turned it Political the second they decided that should pin it on Bush/ Mccain.

Also, Madskillz you said you were a christian? So why are you saying things like Jesus juice? I find that confusing.

Notice the spelling, son. jesus is not Jesus.

Muchas gracias.