By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Does 0.999... Equal 1?

I don't know how people can argue when math is the one thing a person CAN'T argue with... And mathematicians aren't split over it, if you ask any PhD they will tell you that .99999... is 1.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Menago KF said:
I'm sticking with my math classes. If you can't trust math taught in a former soviet country, where can you?

I never thought I could feel this way about another man...

You are my new best friend.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

^ Backoff, I claimed him first!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

dtewi said:

It is easy. What is infity minus infinity? Zero! What is Infity times one infityth? One! Or alternatively, what is infinty divided by infity? One! What is infinity times 1? Infinty!

No, if you had studied limits, you'd know that

∞-∞ = Indefinite

∞/∞ = Indefinite

When you solve limits, usually all you have to do is avoid the indefinitions

For example:

lim(x->) 2x/(3x^2+3) should equal to /∞, since both tend to infinte. Applying L'Hopital's rule:

lim(x->) 2x/(3x^2+3) = lim(x->) 2/(6x) = 2/∞ = 0

Gnizmo said:

dtewi said:

It is easy. What is infity minus infinity? Zero! What is Infity times one infityth? One! Or alternatively, what is infinty divided by infity? One! What is infinity times 1? Infinty!

Infinity divided by infinity is undefined in the same way 0/0 is undefined. I am pretty sure Infinity minus infinity is also undefined, but if it isn't then the answer is actually infinity. Infinity * 1/infinity is also undefined.  Infinity does not behave like real numbers that you are used to dealing with.

To give you a bit of an idea of how quircky it is I will use the example my first Calculus teacher used. 1 is as close to infinity as 1 trillion, or -1 trillion. Infinity cannot be larger or smaller than what it is. Nothing you do to it can change its value. This is a bit simplified but I don't feel like getting my old text books out to go into greater detail.

On topic: This is actually the subject of some debte amongst mathematicians I seem to recall. There is no decisive arguement for or against it. The only time it is ever going to be relevant though you will be using fractions anyways so it is kind of a moot point. You will never see .3 repeating *3 because it is drilled into your head with unrelenting force that decimals are too inaccurate to use until the absolute end of the equation.

You're confusing infinity with the limit as something approaches infinity.  If it's infinity itself, infinity - infinity is 0.  However, if two things are both approaching infinity and you subtract one from the other it's indeterminant.

People need to recognize the difference between limit as something approaches a number and the ACTUAL NUMBER.  This is the third time I've explained this on this site.

The limit of something as it approaches 1^Infinity is indeterminate.  However, 1^Infinity = 1.  See the difference?

Around the Network
tarheel91 said:
Gnizmo said:

dtewi said:

Infinity divided by infinity is undefined in the same way 0/0 is undefined. I am pretty sure Infinity minus infinity is also undefined, but if it isn't then the answer is actually infinity. Infinity * 1/infinity is also undefined.  Infinity does not behave like real numbers that you are used to dealing with.

To give you a bit of an idea of how quircky it is I will use the example my first Calculus teacher used. 1 is as close to infinity as 1 trillion, or -1 trillion. Infinity cannot be larger or smaller than what it is. Nothing you do to it can change its value. This is a bit simplified but I don't feel like getting my old text books out to go into greater detail.

On topic: This is actually the subject of some debte amongst mathematicians I seem to recall. There is no decisive arguement for or against it. The only time it is ever going to be relevant though you will be using fractions anyways so it is kind of a moot point. You will never see .3 repeating *3 because it is drilled into your head with unrelenting force that decimals are too inaccurate to use until the absolute end of the equation.

You're confusing infinity with the limit as something approaches infinity.  If it's infinity itself, infinity - infinity is 0.  However, if two things are both approaching infinity and you subtract one from the other it's indeterminant.

People need to recognize the difference between limit as something approaches a number and the ACTUAL NUMBER.  This is the third time I've explained this on this site.

The limit of something as it approaches 1^Infinity is indeterminate.  However, 1^Infinity = 1.  See the difference?

Infinity is not a number! You can't apply normal operations to infinity because it's not a real number, it can only be used when something approaches infinity, you can have x-> but not x=

Let's see... using my Kindergarden math skills, with 1 = 1.0, and 0.99999.... does NOT have a 1 in front of the dot, and infinite zeros after the dot, then No, .999...

zexen_lowe said:
tarheel91 said:
Gnizmo said:

dtewi said:

Infinity is not a number! You can't apply normal operations to infinity because it's not a real number, it can only be used when something approaches infinity, you can have x-> but not x=

That's why we're talking about something with a decimal place and then an infinite (notice: not approaching) number of 9's.  I agree that many rules of traditional numbers don't apply to infinity, but it's not like you can't use it at all.

@ Vlad and steven

Gents, gents, please calm down, there's enough of Menago to satisfy everyone......except for my current GF. I'm beginning to think that she's a nympho.

At first it was okay.....but now, i'm beginning to feel the effects, ouch.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

ad what if we do 6*0,333...=2