By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's assume the trolls are right, Wii is a last-gen system.

The PS3 does have 9 cores and one of them is not used for gaming. That's not a joke. I've seen several of the tech folks say so. Anyway, the last little bit of your post is just an attempt to single out and dig at the PS3. It still has multiple cpus working in tandem like the 360 and my laptop and unlike the Wii

Actually, some claim can be made that the Wii is also a bit of a fifth gen console instead of a sixth because it doesn't have a hardrive and those became standard in the sixth gen on the original xbox and with the launch of Final Fantasy XI on PS2.

Combined sales of 35 million units plus all the pc's being sold in stores now that feature dual processors would lead one to think that seventh gen consoles are selling well.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Around the Network

So much like the PC Engine was an almagam of eight and sixteen bit designs rather than a true sixteen bit machine, the Wii at best is just an amalgamation of the fifth generation (lack of harddrive and lack of more sophisticated games), sixth generation (sixth generation cpu that isn't a multi-core processor and runs at speeds only slightly higher than its most powerful rival from the era), and seventh gen (Wii-Mote -- although there was the power glove in the third generation, so it might not be that evolutionary.  Could the Wii-mote actually be a fourth gen modification of the power glove?).

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

Paul_Warren said:

So much like the PC Engine was an almagam of eight and sixteen bit designs rather than a true sixteen bit machine, the Wii at best is just an amalgamation of the fifth generation (lack of harddrive and lack of more sophisticated games), sixth generation (sixth generation cpu that isn't a multi-core processor and runs at speeds only slightly higher than its most powerful rival from the era), and seventh gen (Wii-Mote -- although there was the power glove in the third generation, so it might not be that evolutionary.  Could the Wii-mote actually be a fourth gen modification of the power glove?).

You are on fire young man.  I go into the Wii Music Malstrom thread and you have like a million posts putting down the Wii.  I come into this thread and see the same thing.  Why can't you just enjoy your PS360 and not be bitter towards the Wii?  How does Nintendo's choices affect you?  I would understand if it meant 3rd parties abandoned PS360 and were making only games for the Wii but it is clear that 3rd parties (due to being blind, and lacking creativity) are only interested in releasing the same games over and over with nothing new except shinier graphics.  So you are still getting exactly what you want.  Nintendo's strategy hasn't changed that.  The only thing that it has done is ensure you are unable to say your beloved console is the top seller.  But why should that make you bitter?  Why can't you just enjoy your HD console?  Do you feel it has to be the top seller to make you feel justified about the huge amount of money you spent on it?

I know I am as bitter towards Wii Music as you are towards Nintendo's strategy but that is because I worry that if Wii Music is super successful it might mean less core Nintendo games for me.  I want to be playing Pikmin 3 or F Zero this christmas but I don't have that luxury.  Maybe if Nintendo wasn't making Wii Music one of those games would be coming out for Christmas.  So that's my frustration.  What's yours?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

frybread said:
7) The 7th generation is on track to have the lowest sales since the 3rd gen.

This is the first I disagree with. You're now implying that Nintendo would skip the entire 7th gen, and jump to the 8th gen together with X720 and Ps4 - something I see as very unlikely.

RolStoppable said:
Skeeuk said:
RolStoppable said:
The Wii is beating the legendary PS2, muahahaha!

ps2 better games than wii, ps3 even more better games than wii, 360 also has better games than wii.

stop flamebaiting!

I am not flamebaiting!

You are the one who said that the PS3 has better games than the PS2.

That simply needed to be quoted. Such an awesome reply. Problem is, there's no way he can try to defend himself against it, so there won't be any discussing that further.

Another thing, if graphics (or run speed, GPU, CPU, whatever), is what determines a generation, where are you going to put the handhelds?

Is it like this?

3rd: GB

4th: GBC

5th: GBA

6th: DS

7th PsP

As there is no doubt that PsP is going to be closer to DS2 than to DS.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I don't have any frustration. I was just answering a question about whether or not the Wii was a true current generation console and I provided examples as to why it is most probably not one.

If I do have any frustrations they are probably similar to yours. However, I also think that if Wii gains much more market share and more third party companies shift to exclusive development on Wii, then there will be fewer high quality games made for the hd consoles and we will have to wait years to see truly exceptional graphics in games again and the market will have many more games geared towards younger gamers as in the NES and SNES days (let's not forget that where the Gamecube truly excelled against other last gen consoles in the graphics department was in cell shading with most of its other abilities being even less than those of the PS2. And cell shading is best used for making cartoonish / children's games) instead of towards those with more mature tastes.

"You are on fire young man. I go into the Wii Music Malstrom thread and you have like a million posts putting down the Wii. I come into this thread and see the same thing. Why can't you just enjoy your PS360 and not be bitter towards the Wii? How does Nintendo's choices affect you? I would understand if it meant 3rd parties abandoned PS360 and were making only games for the Wii but it is clear that 3rd parties (due to being blind, and lacking creativity) are only interested in releasing the same games over and over with nothing new except shinier graphics. So you are still getting exactly what you want. Nintendo's strategy hasn't changed that. The only thing that it has done is ensure you are unable to say your beloved console is the top seller. But why should that make you bitter? Why can't you just enjoy your HD console? Do you feel it has to be the top seller to make you feel justified about the huge amount of money you spent on it?

I know I am as bitter towards Wii Music as you are towards Nintendo's strategy but that is because I worry that if Wii Music is super successful it might mean less core Nintendo games for me. I want to be playing Pikmin 3 or F Zero this christmas but I don't have that luxury. Maybe if Nintendo wasn't making Wii Music one of those games would be coming out for Christmas. So that's my frustration. What's yours?"

Around the Network

1st:  Games like Coleco's Pac-Man and Galaxian, Tomy's Tron, and Nintendo's Game and Watch (like consoles prior to the 2600 they were mostly one game wired into a handheld without cartridges.  Sometimes there were more games wired in like Merlin and little computers like Quiz Whiz that allowed one to plug in modules that in no way resemble traditional games).

2nd: GB (I remember back in the day some people used to play 2600 games on black and white tvs)

3rd: GBC (comparable to NES)

4th: GBA (comparable to SNES)

5th: DS (comparable to N64)

6th PSP (Comparable to PS2)

Paul_Warren said:
1st games like Coleco's Pac-Man and Galaxian, Tomy's Tron, and Nintendo's Game and Watch (like consoles prior to the 2600 they were mostly one game wired into a handheld without cartridges).

2nd: GB (I remember back in the day some people used to play 2600 games on black and white tvs)

3rd: GBC (comparable to NES)

4th: GBA (comparable to SNES)

5th: DS (comparable to N64)

6th PSP (Comparable to PS2)

That's essentially my point, I just messed up the generations by 1.

It's just stupid to say it like that - it means that the 6th gen started less than 1 month after the 5th gen, so thinking like this simply doesn't work

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

"That's essentially my point, I just messed up the generations by 1.

It's just stupid to say it like that - it means that the 6th gen started less than 1 month after the 5th gen, so thinking like this simply doesn't work"

It is not stupid to say that. It just was cheaper and more economical for Nintendo to put out a handheld that was more comparable to the N64 than the Gamecube. If they had put out a handheld with abilities similar to the Gamecube, then it would have been a 6th gen console. The three to fourth month difference just reflects that most of the world thought things had moved on since the fifth generation, yet Nintendo's marketing ability has allowed them to preserve it on handhelds this far. If their next handheld has gamecube level technical abilities it will still only be a sixth gen.  It becomes apparent that Nintendo has often been a gen behind the other consoles:  NES (PC Engine had some 16 bit abilities), Gameboy (Gamegear was 3rd gen like the Sega Master System), and in the current console gen.  The only times when it could be said that they had a console similar to the others of that gen (SNES, N64, and Gamecube), they've tended to not do so well.

Paul_Warren said:
The Wii is a sixth gen console because it is only a little more powerful than the original xbox and nowhere near as powerful as the ps3 and 360. Plus. it doesn't run in hd mode and this is the hd era in all things except for the leading game console on the market. Other features of 7th gen consoles that the Wii doesn't have. It doesn't have multiple cores as do the 360 and PS3 which do have multiple cores that run at several times the speed of the Wii's processor. Ie. these gens used to be callled the 16 bit era and the 32 bit era...the Wii's cpu is much more in line with what one would expect in the last gen. Even if the Wii's motion control makes it a 7th gen console it only does so in the way that the pc engine wasn't a true fourth gen and the jaguar wasn't a true fifth gen console.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?  When we in the media and the industry start telling you that you're wrong, you might want to listen up.

So once again, bit depth and processing power are not metrics to qualify a generation.   It is the successive release of a flagship console under a specific time frame.  That is the ONLY valid metric recognized by the media, the publishers, the investors, and the console makers themselves to qualify a generation.

PS:  The PS3 doesn't have 9 nine cores.  It has SPE's that operate similar to cores but they are not indpendant enough from the PPU to be considered actual cores.  They operate more like threads.  Powerful threads but threads none the less.

PSS: You claimed Wii is now 5th generation because it doesn't have a hard drive "standard" unlike the Xbox and PS2.  Are you just trying to get people riled up or are you missing the obvious?  The PS2 doesn't have a standard hard drive, it's a peripheral that few own and even the X360 doesn't have a standard hard drive yet every Wii comes with a built in flash drive.  Are you trying to tell me the X360 is 5th generation based on the lack of a standard hard drive?

Now you're claiming the only thing GC did well was cell shading which automatically makes it kiddy and that the PS2 exceded the GC in everything else.  Facepalm...ultimate facepalm.    The PS2 is a single pass texture environment that pushed no more than 14 million fully textured and lit polygons per second at 60 fps while the GC was an multi-pass texture envirnment with an 8 texture pipeline, the TEV and could render 18 million polygons fully textured and lit per second at 60 fps.

Kid, how old are you?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

@Viper: You're on a forum.

@TheProf00: Sensativity litterally falls under pathetic, I'm not mincing words either. Your last posts have shown the attributes of whichever word you choose of the two bolded.

@OP: Very funny, I have no love for fanatics, I can't accept them as people either.

@mike_intellevision: "school of thought" that's what happens.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D