By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGChartz Playstation Trophy League

Tbone said:
chenguo4 said:

I think the best way to settle this, any everything is to properly define trophy ratings.

I propose the following:

1) Map difficulty to 5 star scale - use ps3trophies.org polls, when > N ppl have voted, or game has been out for 1 month

2) Map time to 5 star scale - maybe something like
    1-15 h: *
    16 - 35h: **
    36 - 80h: ***
    81 - 150h: ****
    151h or more: *****

3) Find an appropriate weight. Game score = A * diffciculty stars plus B * time stars. Maybe something like A/B = 3 or A/B = 4 works. I feel difficulty is more important than time, but time obviously does still carry significant weight.

4) Normalize: that is, we'll get a wide range of values using the above formula. We map the lowest 20% to 1 star, the next 20% to 2 stars, or whatever.
Or if we want to do a bell curve-ish kinda thing, lowest 10% = *, next 20% = **, next 40% = ***, next 20% = ****, last 10% = *****

Now there's always the issue sometimes DLC makes the game easier, or overtime the online dies and trophies become very difficulty/impossible. I don't think there can ever be a good solution for that.

This is just a conversation starter, with the hope of working something out. For example, one flaw with this system is that ps3trophies.org difficulty ratings may already factor in time.

If this was the case then we would have alot more 5 stars platinum.

Like i said before people look into how much time they spent on the game then actual challenge.

Well, so that's where my step 4) come in. We can say, ok top 5% are *****s, or we can say top 30% are 5 stars. Steps 1-3 get us the relative difficulty of each game, after weighing for time and difficulty. Step 4) let's us arbitrarily say how many get to be ***, how many get to be *****, etc.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Around the Network

I remember reading a bit through the Plat Difficulty thread for LA Noire on PS3trophies.org, and a lot of people have said that they don't believe the game is as difficult as people are voting. A few trophies are tedious, but they believe that there are a lot of people just screwing around and voting the max for the game (there was something like 10-15 votes for a difficulty of 10 within the first 2-3 days). I think there should be three factors for the rating of a game on here: the difficulty of the game, the length of the game, and the amount of information readily available to help with the game. The last one involves the amount of trophy guides and info that comes out that can make a game, like LA Noire, become really easy. Obviously, this will affect the more obscure games, but over time they even get some very good and comprehensive guides.

Games that have a very long platinum time (WKC, Mortal Kombat and Star Ocean 4 are three games that may not be the most difficult, but take a long time) should definitely be a factor. All three of those games probably take upward of 400-500 hours, which seriously cuts into playing other games and the like.

EDIT - Some people say they don't use guides for the first playthrough or at all, but it should still be a factor in the ratings.

MasterVG71782 said:

I remember reading a bit through the Plat Difficulty thread for LA Noire on PS3trophies.org, and a lot of people have said that they don't believe the game is as difficult as people are voting. A few trophies are tedious, but they believe that there are a lot of people just screwing around and voting the max for the game (there was something like 10-15 votes for a difficulty of 10 within the first 2-3 days). I think there should be three factors for the rating of a game on here: the difficulty of the game, the length of the game, and the amount of information readily available to help with the game. The last one involves the amount of trophy guides and info that comes out that can make a game, like LA Noire, become really easy. Obviously, this will affect the more obscure games, but over time they even get some very good and comprehensive guides.

Games that have a very long platinum time (WKC, Mortal Kombat and Star Ocean 4 are three games that may not be the most difficult, but take a long time) should definitely be a factor. All three of those games probably take upward of 400-500 hours, which seriously cuts into playing other games and the like.

EDIT - Some people say they don't use guides for the first playthrough or at all, but it should still be a factor in the ratings.

I'm sure we can do a more advanced way of picking the average difficulty rating than just taking the average straight up. There are ways to filter out outliers, like the 10's for LA noire (lawl, btw). If this starts getting serious I'll look into them.

edit - actually a really really simple way to do this is to just take the median rather than the mean, though with a small range of values (1 - 10) that has its own problems. The point being, extreme outliers aren't hard to filter out.

edit 2 - ok, so the kinda DUH way to do this is actually to just through out the lowest and highest 10% of values. If they're outliers, we have better data. If they're not outliers, well, the average won't change much.

KylieDog said:
Arcturus said:
Esquoret said:

Thanks for the update!

LA Noire 3 stars, KylieDog would beg to differ lol~

Yeah I'm wondering how that rating is going to go over, lol.

The average rating over at PS3trophies.org puts it at a 3 star game. What do others think of the LA Noire difficulty?

It is a 1 star.  There is no challenge at all. How can games like Prince of Persia SoT where you have collectables and need beat the game near flawlessly for the less than 20 rewinds trophy be a 1 star and then LA Noire where is near impossible to fail be a 3?  Even games like Burnout require to win races.  LA Noire...wants you to win a fight without dropping your hat?

LA Noire will probably be the next game I plat, I'm not getting any benefit to saying it is a 1 star, it is just stupid how it is a 3.

all one star so far have been games you can p[retty much pick up and finish in 2 days.

I hardly think LA Noire fits the bill...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

From the comments I read for the difficulty rating of LA Noire, I am worried if companies have started abusing PS3trophies.org..... So many votes for 10 and those people didn't even leave a comment???

42% voted for 3-5 difficulty

41% voted for 8-10 difficulty

Is that why you gave it a 3 star, Arucurus? (2 4)/2  XD

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

I keep forgetting to sync my trophies.

I should have a few more.

Still 13th though.

Thanks Arcturus for the update.

PS - I actually have a backlog

Playing 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Have Avatar and Sports Champions unopened.

A bunch of PSN games half finished.

It might seem small to you guys, but ot me its pretty new.

Not that Im complaining.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Kylie, it might be you just have a different scale of difficulty compared to most people? I've never played mortal kombat this gen, so I can't say how hard it is. But perhaps you just have a different scale from other people... For example, what games would you say warrrants a 9/10 or 10/10 difficulty?

Though of course it's entirely valid people are just voting out of their asses... Reading over the trophy list, some people are stressing over win 10 online ranked matches in a row, when PSN's been down (though I can't imagine that'll be easy regardless)

edit - as for the time thing, I'm sure roadmap writers on ps3trophies.org take that into account, so the time they post will be accurate. As for people factoring time into their difficulty votes, I'm not sure how to account for that. Hopefully someone has an idea.

edit 2 - I just checked myself, the guy who wrote the trophy guide specifically mentions the leave on overnight trick. He says:

This is the total objectives that you need to complete OVERALL MINIMUM:
- 2,800 wins
- 2,800 -alities (fatalities and/or babalities)
- 4,200 X-Rays moves
- 280,000 liters of blood
- 672 NET HOURS!! of play (like 28 days playing a full 24hrs a day)

There are two tips for making this trophy half way faster and doable in around 350 hours or less

So the leave-on-overnight method is projected to cut the time in half, and that's already been taken into account. On top of this, it's still estimated at 350 hours.

chenguo4 said:

Kylie, it might be you just have a different scale of difficulty compared to most people? I've never played mortal kombat this gen, so I can't say how hard it is. But perhaps you just have a different scale from other people... For example, what games would you say warrrants a 9/10 or 10/10 difficulty?

Though of course it's entirely valid people are just voting out of their asses... Reading over the trophy list, some people are stressing over win 10 online ranked matches in a row, when PSN's been down (though I can't imagine that'll be easy regardless)

edit - as for the time thing, I'm sure roadmap writers on ps3trophies.org take that into account, so the time they post will be accurate. As for people factoring time into their difficulty votes, I'm not sure how to account for that. Hopefully someone has an idea.

edit 2 - I just checked myself, the guy who wrote the trophy guide specifically mentions the leave on overnight trick. He says:

This is the total objectives that you need to complete OVERALL MINIMUM:
- 2,800 wins
- 2,800 -alities (fatalities and/or babalities)
- 4,200 X-Rays moves
- 280,000 liters of blood
- 672 NET HOURS!! of play (like 28 days playing a full 24hrs a day)

There are two tips for making this trophy half way faster and doable in around 350 hours or less

So the leave-on-overnight method is projected to cut the time in half, and that's already been taken into account. On top of this, it's still estimated at 350 hours.

Kylie likes to argue about the rating of time consuming games but he never plat those...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Assuming that the MK wins are similar to "ranked wins" in Super SF IV with each character (i.e. can't just win against CPU and no private games) then that MK trophy list seems a lot harder than the Super SF IV plat which I think is a 5 star difficulty.

As for LA Noire, sure it takes less skill to "beat the game" than say AC 2 or AC:B and less skill (if you're following a guide) to get a 5 star ranking on each case but that still requires pretty much 2 play throughs for most people (who probably don't get 5 star rackings on each case the first way through without guides) as well as all of the misc. collecting, etc. etc.

I would think LA Noire (have to beat 2 times and some tedious searching) would be on par or a little below AC 2/AC:B/Infamous/Uncharteds (each of which you have to beat at most twice, sometimes just once and have some tedious finding).  Sure, one could argue that beating LA Noire is easier than beating Uncharted or AC 2 because you literally can't fail but it's not as if those other games are difficult either.

My vote would be *** or ** difficulty.