By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you care about America more then your Political party, then vote McCain.

Look, we all know both parties are flawed. Neither have the answer alone. The only way "change" is going to happen, is if the parties work together.

McCain in 2005 only voted 67% with his party. When he realized he was going to run for office, he needed to up that number. In the last year, he has not shown up to vote more then any other Senator. The reasons are obvious. He does not agree with a large part of what the Republicans think, but can't vote against them and expect to win a Primary. So, he doesn't vote at all. This is why he has voted 95% of the time with his party in the last year. (because when he doesn't agree, he doesn't vote).

So one out of 3 votes (when he voted how he felt), were in line with the Democrats. That means every third vote, he made a friend across the aisle. There is a reason a lot of Democrats respect and admire McCain. There is also a reason a lot of Republicans didn't like him as the Presidential nominee.

Now, in 2005 (and every year since) Obama has voted with his party 97% of the time. Of all the Senators, there is not one more partisan then Obama. This means it will be virtually impossible for him to work in a non partisan way. Not to mention the fact that he has no desire to do so.

There has never been a more "down the middle" candidate with a chance to win a presidency in most of our lifetimes then McCain, and there had never been a time in our history when we needed it more. Partisan politics is going to destroy this country unless both parties work together.

Who do you think will do a better job of that?

Around the Network

So I should vote for him, because he voted for legislation along party lines so he could be elected...

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I care about America more than my party and I don't think flip flopping during election season means you're a better candidate. I could use similar logic to argue that this same evidence shows McCain pulls 180s when it makes him look good and Obama sticks to his liberal guns and stays the course even if it makes him look bad.

And thanks for the thread title that questions the patriotism of everybody who's not voting for McCain.

Vote Republican! Because the last 8 years have been great and have been in no way a complete mockery of everything this country was built upon! Republicans also have a great economic record! Our national debt is totally under control and our economy is doing better than ever under the watchful eye of our Republican fathers!

McCain is also a deregulator, and that is what our economic and healthcare system need right now, more deregulation and less oversight from incompetent bureaucrats!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I care about America more than my party and I don't think flip flopping during election season means you're a better candidate. I could use similar logic to argue that this same evidence shows McCain pulls 180s when it makes him look good and Obama sticks to his liberal guns and stays the course even if it makes him look bad.

And thanks for the thread title that questions the patriotism of everybody who's not voting for McCain.

Nailed it (especially the last sentence!).

Although I will say that after the last eight years, "stays the course" should no longer be seen as an unqualified positive...

Around the Network

Hey, what the hell is wrong with you!  You are questioning his patriotism by questioning the patriotism of voting for a man who obviously stands for patriotism!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Vote Republican! Because the last 8 years have been great and have been in no way a complete mockery of everything this country was built upon! Republicans also have a great economic record! Our national debt is totally under control and our economy is doing better than ever under the watchful eye of our Republican fathers!

McCain is also a deregulator, and that is what our economic and healthcare system need right now, more deregulation and less oversight from incompetent bureaucrats!

Funny, the last 2 of those 8 have fallen under Democratic control (let's be honest here, Congress runs the country), and things have not gotten better. They have gotten worse.

TheRealMafoo said:
akuma587 said:

Funny, the last 2 of those 8 have fallen under Democratic control (let's be honest here, Congress runs the country), and things have not gotten better. They have gotten worse.

Congress is not under Democratic control.  The Senate is 49-49, with two independents.  You need 60 to have power over the president.

Also, congress is where the power SHOULD be, but it's not because they give up too much to the Executive branch. Edit: Both parties did this.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

It's not hard to "stick to your guns" when every time you vote, it's for your party. And if McCain had stuck to his true values (and he did, he just chose not to vote), he would be sitting at home right now. A lot of good that would have done.

And I question the patriotism of Republicans as well. I am not a republican.

akuma587 said:

I agree with the bolded parts, but the GOP is not the party that is going to deliver that. The GOP has fallen so far from its principles that it is almost laughable. They deserve what is happening to them. Those incompetent boobs were handed the country on a golden platter in 1994 and choked. Whatever happened to the party of Robert Taft and even Barry Goldwater? If you care about America, you will not vote for John McCain or just about anyone in the GOP. I am not saying Obama is the best choice, but he at least gets certain subjects partially correct (foreign policy.)