By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need a Blu Ray Player - Is the PS3 the best value?

yup

and dont forget Play TV comin out soon, thts a super bonus and u can cure diseases using PS3

Around the Network

You also have a built in movie store on PS3 - You can rent HD movies, buy SD movies and TV shows and stuff.

I don't think the PS3 has the audio outputs of a standalone player so perhaps you should think about that?

Tease.

The ps3 is still the best Blu-ray player on the market, for two reasons:

1. It loads faster than any other player on the market. At the end of last year, stand alone players will still taking sometimes as much as minute to load a single disc, particularly those making good use of BD-Java for special features (like Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End). Things have improved since, but not by much. Because of the superior hardware in ps3 (it's designed for games, afterall), it loads all Blu-Ray movies in under 5 seconds, and the majority instantaneously.

2. It's constantly being improved via firmware updates. Originally, the machine couldn't even upscale DVDs, but now it can even decode DTS-MA. Because of firmware updates, it has become the most versatile player on the market, and things will only improve from here.

Squilliam said:
I don't think the PS3 has the audio outputs of a standalone player so perhaps you should think about that?

The PS3 has coaxial analog and digital TOSLINK ports, meaning that you should be covered unless you need digital coaxial audio.

But I still think my PC solution is the best value.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

It has HDMI and optical.  That's about the best you could want.

If the difference is only $50, you'd be nuts not to buy a PS3. It's 2.0 compliant with the latest firmware, which just means it enables the web based features of newer movies that include them.

As for that desktop PC comparison: total bunk. Who wants to use a PC to watch movies in the living room/entertainment room?

Start watching your movies with a keyboard and mouse and then switch to your Windows Media remote once your movie player app is open?

No way.

PCs are fine for watching media at your desk. But unless you have a Windows PC that can be navigated 100% with a remote with one touch power up from shut down, insert disk and watch movie play within 30 seconds, not in the living room.

It's fine that PC makers are trying to move the PC from the office/desk to the living room, but I have a Windows Media Player PC and there's no way I'd ever use that as my primary media player over a PS3.

A cheap Blu-Ray player with stripped features would be a better home theater solution than a "Blu-Ray PC" special.

Which outputs are you talking about Squilliam? HDMI to have it work with TV speakers and Digital Optical to a receiver?

I know some TV's allow you to plug the HDMI into the TV and then a Digital Optical from the TV to the receiver to get both to work at the same time. Some can't do it properly though and I know HDMI into a TV and Digital Optical from PS3 to receiver doesn't allow for both at one time. In that case it is one or the other.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

makingmusic476 said:
Squilliam said:

It has HDMI and optical.  That's about the best you could want.

PS3 does not allow you to plug HDMI into the TV and Digital Optical into your surround sound receiver. In the PS3 audio options and you only use one or the other.

There is a work around for it though if the TV supports it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The best solution with a full home theater set up would be use an HDMI equipped receiver with multiple HDMI inputs and an HDMI output to your HD display.

You could use the digital optical output in tandem with the HDMI output from the PS3, but unless you're using a receiver without HDMI inputs, there is absolutely no reason to do this.