By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What's the cost of making a video game?

The good thing about UE3 is that most of the costs are royalties based off revenue. So if the game bombs then you don't lose too much money compared to spending the money yourself on an engine. Its a great way for a developer to get a unique/risky concept into production without risking as much on a potential failure.

Tease.

Around the Network

Well, Grand Theft Auto costed more than $100 million to make, but they got $310 million on day 1 and $500 million one week one, so...

c0rd said:

Your Wii number may be on the mark, but the HD titles are way too much. Here's a graph from Factor 5, should give you an idea:

Some really high budget games will go far above, like GTA4 or MGS4, but those don't really count - hell, Shenmue cost something like $50mil to make, and that was on the Dreamcast.

Am I the only one, who doesn't get this? Okay the average budget is given in ( ). But what is the meaning of the numbers on the left, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120?

Would be nice, if somebody could explain it to me.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I think that's the amount of people who worked for the game.

Anyone knows how much Super Mario Galaxy costed? =D
And how much is it to hire an orchestra?

DirtyP2002 said:
c0rd said:

Your Wii number may be on the mark, but the HD titles are way too much. Here's a graph from Factor 5, should give you an idea:

Some really high budget games will go far above, like GTA4 or MGS4, but those don't really count - hell, Shenmue cost something like $50mil to make, and that was on the Dreamcast.

Am I the only one, who doesn't get this? Okay the average budget is given in ( ). But what is the meaning of the numbers on the left, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120?

I think the number on the left is team size....

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
c0rd said:

Read the title of the graph, lol.

i have no idea