By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 4 Sucks.

...okay, maybe not. But the opening certainly does.

Okay, so for those of you who have never played it, there's this village. When you come across it, you hide behind a tree and look at the zombie-villagers from afar with your spy-goggles. The first time, you think, "hey, I've just been shooting things up until now; let's shoot me some villagers!" However, then you get swamped by tons of other dudes and dudettes and die.

Take two. So now you think this is a stealth mission. You start wandering around the back-alleyways of the village, avoiding the wandering, shouting Spaniards. At one point, however, the game gives you no option other than to be discovered. Only, you don't know it. So you spend a few times reloading the game, thinking that there must be a set path around the village that allows you to slip by undetected. No dice.

Take five or six by now. You decide to get discovered, then run to the village gates. They're blocked by a chainsaw-dude. Okay, kill chainsaw dude. No problem. Now you get to the gates, and open the- ...wait a sec, they're locked! You must have done something wrong, you figure, so you try it again. Nope.

Take eight. You decide to try to hide out and wait for the zombie-villager swarm to subside. Yeah, maybe that's what the game wants you to do. You hide in a building, bar the door. Only, they break through, kill you, and presumably eat your liver with some fava beans and a nice Spanish pinot grigio or something.

Nine. Okay, maybe you need to kill the chainsaw-dude first. You go back, lob a grenade at him, and take him down in a blaze of glory (literally). Then you run around some more. Nothing happens. You run out of ammo and die.

Ten. Repeat process. Finally, you get to the one specific building that the game wants you to go to, and you trigger a cutscene. Another chainsaw-dude appears. You kill him, run out on to the roof, and hide out there, taking down villagers with your newly-found shotgun. Only... nothing happens. You figure you must have done something wrong. Maybe missed another obscure trigger somewhere.

Reload time... again. Take eleven. Repeat process, blah blah blah. After killing second chainsaw-dude, you run all over the village, looking for another trigger. No dice.

Reload. Twelve. At this point, you basically say, "fuck it," and just try to kill as many Spaniards as you can after killing the chainsaw-dudes. Finally, after FAR too long (a lengthy period that would cause anyone in their right mind to think that they needed to do something else to escape the zombie-horde), a cutscene triggers. You breathe a sigh of relief. You're home-free... but you sure as hell don't want to keep playing this damn game.

Now, I'm sure the game gets much better. I even see where they wanted to go with that sequence of events. Done in a more open-ended way, or with more cues as to what you're supposed to do, it could have been a tight, pulse-pounding sequence straight out of an action movie. Instead, it's a frustrating experience in trial-and-error. I've never played such a critically-acclaimed game that gave me such a negative first impression. (Well, not since the Wind Waker's stealth sequence, anyway... shudder.)

So, please tell me the game gets better - and that there won't be another sequence like that again.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

OT: The game gets betters, but dude, the first part is awesome too, you are viewing the game with the wrong perspective.

You suck at the game. No, I am joking. That early part is really hard. The game will get even harder as you go on. One tip: DON`T enter the houses. Entering them trigger the chainsaw (Dr. Salvador) guys. The scene ends after you kill a certain number of enemies. It is much better to stay outside and kill the ganados. Take it slow, shot one in the head, step back, shot another one in the head and so on. When you get better weapons these scenes will not be as tough.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

lol at ninman, and yeah dude give the game a chance you will like it.

Ah, I guess I misunderstood it, then. But my point still remains: Basing advancement in a game off of a completely arbitrary thing, which the player isn't informed about at all, is just plain bad game design - especially when the visual cues placed in the game tell you something completely different.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

I'm inclined to tell you to suck less.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

To be honest the game is soooo much deeper when you get into it. It seems like you can be easily fustrating and expected to much in the game. All games have trial n' error in them. But you should of taken your time with that part and explored around the village and killed a lot of zombies. There was no need to find things quickly and rushed for a quick cutscene to be done with it.

It sounds to me you completely want to find what all the hype is or your actually playing the game because of the hype. I played that part at the beginning I think I replayed it 4 times and then finally realized I had to explore around that area for a minute and then after about 15 or 20 minutes of zombie killing the bell rung and the zombies disappeared and moved on about their business.

Other than that just take your time and enjoy the experience. It lasts for about 15 hours or so. It's a awesome game. Just take your time and explore the environments and look for objects and items.

W00t_! play the game it gets better man! play the game just play the GD game!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Garcian Smith said:

Ah, I guess I misunderstood it, then. But my point still remains: Basing advancement in a game off of a completely arbitrary thing, which the player isn't informed about at all, is just plain bad game design - especially when the visual cues placed in the game tell you something completely different.

Okay, now I understand your logic. Your basically saying you came into this part without any understanding of what to do. Well that's the whole point of horror games. You do what you want and whatever happens...well it happens. It triggered the guards to come at you well thats when the game starts off. It's not poor design.

I beat the game twice a few weeks ago, on normal then hard right after and not once did I encounter Dr. Salvador, just run back to the gate, kill the peeps there, turn around and shoot without sucking and you are done. The only time I died was when I ran out of ammo by being stupid and shooting their feet not their heads. I wish I had an incendiary grenade though, that woulda made the whole thing that much easier.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835