By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MS's Peter Moore on the PS3 price cut

ChichiriMuyo said:
Their backstock of 60GB machines will probably last through Christmas, so by the time they run out Sony's going to be ready for another pricecut... 80GB model to $500. *sighs* Sorta hoping they don't discontinue the 60GB model completely.

Depending on how many they actually made, but I would expect the 60GB to be on store shelves until next E3 ...

As of March 31st Sony had shipped 5.5 Million consoles worldwide and was producing (at least) 1 Million consoles per month; as a guestimate I would say they have produced 7.0 to 8 Million 60GB consoles. What this means is they have to sell as many 60GB PS3 systems as they have already sold whilst a new 80GB model steals some of the sales they have currently been making.

Around the Network

It is known that both Microsoft and Sony launched a cheaper version of their console to be able to promote it with a lower price tag. They expect the consumer to buy the standard, more expensive, unit.

But indeed you still have to lay down 500$ to own a PS3, yet before that you went into a store where they told you they didn't had the low-cost version and you had to face a 600$ price tag. I consider it 'a price drop', but indeed it's not certain the average consumer will notice this.

But Sony did rather well, they did not come out with virtual numbers proving that they are N°1 in this generation, or start talking about the '10 year cycle' but just talked normal. And KillZone may need some more tweaking, at least the graphics aren't embarassing.

HappySqurriel said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Their backstock of 60GB machines will probably last through Christmas, so by the time they run out Sony's going to be ready for another pricecut... 80GB model to $500. *sighs* Sorta hoping they don't discontinue the 60GB model completely.

Depending on how many they actually made, but I would expect the 60GB to be on store shelves until next E3 ...

As of March 31st Sony had shipped 5.5 Million consoles worldwide and was producing (at least) 1 Million consoles per month; as a guestimate I would say they have produced 7.0 to 8 Million 60GB consoles. What this means is they have to sell as many 60GB PS3 systems as they have already sold whilst a new 80GB model steals some of the sales they have currently been making.

I dunno...I think its very likely that they stopped making the 60 GB version awhile back.  They've been all about cutting costs everywhere.  Why keep making a 60 GB version that costs more to produce when they can just switch all fo the factories over to the 80 GB version.

Obviously it isn't something we can know with any certainty at all, but my personal feeling would be that they switched all the factories over to the newer 80 GB no EE version awhile back and stockpiled them until they were ready to release it worldwide.

Anyway, if I were planning on buying a ps3, I'd totally jump on the 60 GB version just in case they mysteriously get discontinued sometime later this year.  Plus, as many people have pointed out, you can buy a 60 GB ps3 and a much larger hard drive and just do the switch yourself, that way you get all the hardware bits as well as a much larger hard drive.

NJ5 said:

http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/13505/Peter_Moore_On_PS3_Price_Cut.html

""They've added greater value at the same prices. Which to me is not a price cut. I don't want to be anal, but I read "price cut" and I expected to see USD 399," he added. "When I hear the words "price cut" I expect to see a price cut."

I for one, agree with him. This is not just a matter of semantics, it's logical:

The 60 GB PS3 got a price cut, that's for sure. But if we look at the PS3 as a whole, the minimum price at which you can get it it's still $499, exactly the same as when it was launched.

How many of those $499 20gb PS3's could you have bought at a store a month ago? 2 months ago? etc.  Linking someone's "blog" about what someone who is a competitor to a company isn't exactly a unbiased source that makes it true.  

So if we are to take it your way, for a few months there sony increased the price of the PS3 because you could not buy a $499 version from a retail store, only from those selling used or ebayed 20 gb systems.   Now, they went and cut the price on the 60gb making that the lowest price PS3 that has been out for a few months now.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to take the word of a man knocking a rival and trying to deflect the 1.5 Billion dollar write off they are doing because of a console failure rate of 30%+.  Chances are his arguement is a failure as well.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Spin it Peter Spin it!!!!!

Well you know guys.... things break....

Adding value to the price while on the other hand MS releases a more expensive SKU to catch up with Sony on some of the stuff they left out on their machine even though they said a lot of times that they don't need HDMI or 1080p.... 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Someone should tell him to mind his own business. "When I read normal failure rates I expected 2-3%, not 20-25%".

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Isn't it obvious, this is exactly what Sony and Microsoft did to the Wii. They waited a day after the announcement, read the popular concern in the forums, and then put the professional edge onto it. Tada you have everything you need to shit on your competition.

Ok ok wait......

The main difference is only 40 g.b.? Then where did the wifi go? Something Microsoft feels the need to charge over $80 for. There was a price cut.

Caey said:
It is known that both Microsoft and Sony launched a cheaper version of their console to be able to promote it with a lower price tag. They expect the consumer to buy the standard, more expensive, unit.

But indeed you still have to lay down 500$ to own a PS3, yet before that you went into a store where they told you they didn't had the low-cost version and you had to face a 600$ price tag. I consider it 'a price drop', but indeed it's not certain the average consumer will notice this.

But Sony did rather well, they did not come out with virtual numbers proving that they are N°1 in this generation, or start talking about the '10 year cycle' but just talked normal. And KillZone may need some more tweaking, at least the graphics aren't embarassing.

Weterer you agree with the term "price cut" or not you do get something that was 600 for 500 and if you were mad that you couldn't find the 20Gb now you get the 60GB with Memory card reader and wifi . seems consumers are noticing though according to Amazon but more importantly it puts a PS3 back under 500 for Christmas.

I would dis agree that KillZone's Graphics are VERY embarassing (to the 360 and Wii ) That looks like the best looking Game to date. I actually think it Improved from the version we seen 2+years ago that absolutely everyone including myself tought there was no way that was Gameplay. Well now there is no Doubt those graphics are Gameplay. I think X-box will be able to push those graphics with the Xbox720 

NJ5 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
I'm confused. The 20gig PS3 wasn't gimped when it came to games, but it was lacking in the extra features that the 60gig had. It's not like the 20gig and 60gig are the exact same thing, if the 20gig was removed from North America and the 60gig is now $100 off. . . . I don't know, maybe his babble confuses me a bit.

Funny, this coming from the guy who brings out yet another SKU (the limited time Halo 3 one).

That's the part where he says "They've added greater value in the form primarily of storage"

Really guys, there's nothing you can attack, it seems he worded it pretty carefully and accurately.

PS: The Halo SKU has nothing to do with price drops, so ...

What about the massive overcharging for the Elite? Why not adress that? How the hell does he justify a system with out Wifi or a built in High Capacity DVD player built in and with a 5 in 1 card reader costing only $20 less than a system with all those things built in ? Microsoft would have loved to cut price but the failure rate of the 360 is killin them