By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Viva Pinata and Infinite Undiscovery sales

mrstickball said:
Splenda14 said:

why are people not buying this games in America I just dont get why good games dont sell. People buy Viva Pinata and Infinite Undiscovery

In the USA? I can give a few reasons:

Viva Pinata - It's *gasp* casual! Not Microsoft casual (ie, poor selling), but Nintendo/Wii casual (ie, evergreen). Viva Pinata 1 debuted at a whopping 10,690 units in North America 2 years ago, when Gears launched. It wound up selling 600,000 units without bundling. VP2 sold 3.5x that many units in North America for it's debut week. Does this mean that VP2 will sell 2 million units in the US? Who knows.

Infinite Undiscovery - Unfortunately, it looks like North America is (sadly) reverting to it's pre-PS1 days of shunning JRPGs. No JRPG has yet to get traction in the US of A, regardless of system, outside of maybe Lost Odyssey. I can give a laundry list of games that haven't done well. But the fact is, unless your Pokemon or Final Fantasy, your sales are going to suck for a JRPG in the US. Western RPGs are just so much more appealing for some reason.

TWEWY - 264k

FFT2 - 241k

FF:CC ROF: 201k

FF:CC (PSP): 576k

FFT:TLW - 109k

And so on. The biggest selling non-Pokemon JRPG this year is Final Fantasy: Crisis Core on PSP. Whoop-de-friggin-do.

However, to be fair: JRPGs aren't front loaded in the USA. I don't think your going to be able to make a valid opinion on first week sales, since some JRPGs have had great legs after horrid debuts.

Viva Piñata is a micromanagement hell of resource management. I'm not sure I'd call it casual but rather a combination of good word of mouth + low price.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

VP2 will continue to sell well for a long time. You only have to see the trend of VP sales to see this.

IU is in a more difficult position, although it could turn out ok. RPGs are a genre that can show reasonable legs. I'd be willing to wait a month or two to see sales settle before saying whether the game is a failure or not.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Bitmap Frogs said:
mrstickball said:
Splenda14 said:

why are people not buying this games in America I just dont get why good games dont sell. People buy Viva Pinata and Infinite Undiscovery

In the USA? I can give a few reasons:

Viva Pinata - It's *gasp* casual! Not Microsoft casual (ie, poor selling), but Nintendo/Wii casual (ie, evergreen). Viva Pinata 1 debuted at a whopping 10,690 units in North America 2 years ago, when Gears launched. It wound up selling 600,000 units without bundling. VP2 sold 3.5x that many units in North America for it's debut week. Does this mean that VP2 will sell 2 million units in the US? Who knows.

Infinite Undiscovery - Unfortunately, it looks like North America is (sadly) reverting to it's pre-PS1 days of shunning JRPGs. No JRPG has yet to get traction in the US of A, regardless of system, outside of maybe Lost Odyssey. I can give a laundry list of games that haven't done well. But the fact is, unless your Pokemon or Final Fantasy, your sales are going to suck for a JRPG in the US. Western RPGs are just so much more appealing for some reason.

TWEWY - 264k

FFT2 - 241k

FF:CC ROF: 201k

FF:CC (PSP): 576k

FFT:TLW - 109k

And so on. The biggest selling non-Pokemon JRPG this year is Final Fantasy: Crisis Core on PSP. Whoop-de-friggin-do.

However, to be fair: JRPGs aren't front loaded in the USA. I don't think your going to be able to make a valid opinion on first week sales, since some JRPGs have had great legs after horrid debuts.

Viva Piñata is a micromanagement hell of resource management. I'm not sure I'd call it casual but rather a combination of good word of mouth + low price.

My girlfriend loves it, the game is casual.

VP2 will sell well. Good casual games have huge legs. Expect a huge holiday bump.

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise will outsell Infinite Undiscovery by a wide margin. A platform game Vs a JRPG.

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise will be a X360 console bundle game.

Around the Network

VP is definatly casual. dont be fooled into thinking otherwise because some people want to label trash like "petz","Imagine: Party Babyz", and "Horse Life 2" as casual games. they arent casual...they are just trash.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

VP should do ok, but poor IU and Tri-Ace.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.