By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Rentals coming to Steam?

This would be great news.  Anybody heard anything?  I am about to look for the article and post it on here.

http://gameviper.com/pc/game-rentals-coming-to-steam

Around the Network

Why rent when there is a demo? makes no sense to me... I thought the demo was basically much like a rental anyway.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
Why rent when there is a demo? makes no sense to me... I thought the demo was basically much like a rental anyway.

because sometimes a demo is lacking stuff that might make you consider getting a game. Renting a game for a day would allow for a better hands-on experience.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Well if you rent the game and then buy it afterwords it better not cost more than if you would just buy cause that would be very stupid.

cool48 said:
Well if you rent the game and then buy it afterwords it better not cost more than if you would just buy cause that would be very stupid.

I think you would need a time limit on that or something.  I understand why that would be nice...but it's not like you can rent a game from Blockbuster and then expect it to be cheaper when buying it.

On-topic...today's Steam update, namely the added "right click to view game account for subscription based games" was for games like Age of Conan and such which already exist on Steam.

I doubt they're going to do a rental system.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
cool48 said:

I think you would need a time limit on that or something.  I understand why that would be nice...but it's not like you can rent a game from Blockbuster and then expect it to be cheaper when buying it.

ACtually that's how it works with Rogers, you rent the movie and then if you don't bring it back, you pay the rest of the price.

BenKenobi88 said:
cool48 said:

I think you would need a time limit on that or something. I understand why that would be nice...but it's not like you can rent a game from Blockbuster and then expect it to be cheaper when buying it.

On-topic...today's Steam update, namely the added "right click to view game account for subscription based games" was for games like Age of Conan and such which already exist on Steam.

I doubt they're going to do a rental system.

While that would be nice to be able to simply rent games, I also doubt that'll happen (though I'd really like it to happen).

Still, I think they would be able to do it with Steam. I mean, they have free weekends where you don't have to own the game and you're able to play the full game for two or three days and they also allow you to gift a three day trial to people too which does the same thing.

They could potentially do a rental like system with Steam.

I'd love it if you could pay the rest of the price after renting a game. Anyway, I think they'd get a lot of money from singleplayer games if they did it.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!