By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What wireless router you recommend?

Well I do hope to buy me a wii by the end of the month but I would like to buy a wireless router too so I can play online with Mario Kart ^^

But I am very confused at what kind of router I should buy. So, just for curiousity, what router do you use? They have told me that the Airlink AR430W is very good but I want to hear opinion from your own experience.

Thanx.

Around the Network

Only Router I have is a Linksys, I don't know if it's "the" best brand but It never ever gave me any problems since I bough it a year ago.

Hmm. Linksys. Ok thanks ^^

As far as absolute ease of use and signal strength/distance, go with netgear. The netgear rangemax N routers are terrific and you can find them pretty cheap.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

netgear? I haven't found them. I'll give them a search ^^

Around the Network

If you rent your modem from your ISP, contact them and see if they offer wireless router/modem hybrids. An advantage of this is that when something goes wrong and you have to call customer service, they can't blame your equipment.

^they do but they charge more and I need to install a wi fi card in my pc, while with another router I can connect my PC with a cable and let the wii connect wireless.

Well my hybrid modem router is wireless, but also allows Ethernet. How much more do they charge per month? Have you looked into whether it also accepts Ethernet (for your PC connection)?

I recommend Linksys as well.

Whatever router you end up choosing, make sure you configure your router to use Channel 1 (2412MHz). Switching it to channel 1 vastly increased my download speeds for the Wii.