By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reistance 1 campaign is awful

ssj12 said:

Are we talking Halo or halo 3? If we are talking map editors hello 7 years ago.  If you talking graphics of that level hello 8 years ago.

And for your little list:

4 player co-op was done by Resistance before Halo 3. Owned much? co-op was never a major deal till it came to consoles. PC gamers tend to like going solo. Its like showing your a man able to handle the tough times ahead. Co-op is for people who can't shooter straight. Still it has been done in Tom Clancy games before and many others.

Single player? my god does this make a game now? I guess Quake isnt there anymore.. oh wait.

Balanced maps, been there done that.

Custom games? how custom? modded custom, setting custom? UT handles both of these quite well since the first game.

Custom characters.... yawn.

Switching gametypes? are you kidding me. Why this listed?

matchmaking... Battlefield 2...many others... any FPS that had ranks.

Face the fact I can rip apart your entire list. The point is you cannot argue the fact all of this has been done.

No, what BottledSpringWater is saying here is that NO OTHER GAME combined it all in one single package. Example: Battlefield had the vehicles, okay, but did it have a single player campaign with co-op functions and dual-wielding, etc.?

And what graphics were done 8 years ago? I can't recall a game that had such special effect fillers and stuff...

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network

Spring water Halo is average game at best.

Total rip off of Half life and Starcraft.

BottledSpringWater said:

Truth is, if you call Halo "average", you probably never played it.

And BTW, I never call people out, but I just wanted to lay down the law, as I never tend to even bother.

P.S. BAHAHA at your "heavy weights". You want to talk boxing? Halo is the Rocky Marciano of FPS.

I think halo is average, halo 1 was, halo 2 was ao bad I couldnt play it through. THose games brought nothing to the genre that wasnt done 100x over  on the PC. I cannot comment on halo 3 as I have not played it. One huge thing that Halo has going for it is an AMAZING online community and multiplayer/replayability.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

I think R1 is a very very standard FPS, but I rate it above what I would have usually given it because it was rushed for launch. Insomniac lives or dies in the FPS department in my book depending on what happens with R2.

Halo 1 was a very good game that scored too high at the time due to the fact it launched on a console and not PC.

The gameplay was great, the vehicles and coop were awesome but like most launch titles for anyone who was FPS savy the flaws of being rushed a little were plain to see:

cut & paste levels (oh, the exact same shape of room, again) that needed arrows on the floor to point the way!

arguably the single worst, extend the game with repeat battles & rooms level in FPS history - the Library

somewhat abrupt campaign, and while I don't mind a good story that backtracks (and Bungie did a good job here with Halo) there was the nagging suspicion that lack of time to create assets might have had a hand in running you backwards through the levels (remember when passing through repeat rooms the arrows on the floor should now be followed in reverse!)

Of course Halo became massive on Xbox and is now a mammoth franchise, but it's pretty obvious to anyone willing to weigh reviews of the time and how good Halo seemed on a console vs on a PC where it would have been reviewed much more harshly (and was when it launched on PC even though in some ways the game was actually better with improved M&K controls and a proper level editor and improved MP). Having played through Halo 2 and Halo 3 I still find them behind the absolute tip top FPS on PC but they are both very good although Halo 2 had serious campaign length/narrative issues IMHO while Halo 3 suffered from the inevitable 'tidy it up by the end' syndrome a little in its narrative.

Resistance 1 to me shows many of the same flaws and and while I enjoyed the title as a solid FPS and a very good launch title it didn't have quite the level of gameplay Halo 1 had at launch vs its downsides.

I do look forward to R2 as hopefully without the rush to support PS3 launch, and with learning from R1, it will be better in every way. Will it equally the best FPS on the market (and I include PC FPS here too) - probably not, but I think it can be well up the rankings and if they stick with it I can see Insomniac delivering better and better FPS.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
BottledSpringWater said:
ssj12 said:
BottledSpringWater said:
ssj12 said:

Resistance is just as average as Halo.

Yeah, O.K. Buddy, Halo is average (Y).

Are you serious?

Any Halo rips this game in half.

meh, your opinion. Resistance actually has better weapons and a non-traditional story.

Truth is Halo is average as heck. The real FPS heavy weights are the ones that prove how average Halo really is.

Ok, let me disect this joke of a list.

(All latest iterations under Metacritic)

Unreal Tournament 3 (2007) - PC: 83, 360: 82, PS3: 86

Quake 4 (2005) - PC: 81, 360: 74

Doom 3 (2004) - PC: 87, Xbox: 88

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) - PC: 88

Duke Nukem 3D (1996) - PC: 89

Of the mentioned, not one is "AAA" 90%+

(Except, Half-Life 2, which I think is the only one that can compete. That's the reason why I didn't include it's score, because I, too, believe it can be said in the same breath of Halo.)

-----------

Halo (2001) - Xbox: 97

Halo 2 (2004) - Xbox: 95

Halo 3 (2007) - 360: 94

And those are reviews.

There is one huge flaw to what you wrote. You forgot to include pc average of the halo games.

1. PC Games: Halo (2003) 83
Microsoft

5. PC Games: Halo 2 (2007) 72
Microsoft

So.. umm.. what was your point exacly ?

PC fps was way above halo way before. I thought halo sucked when i tried it because it was so bad compaired to the fps i usually played.

oh yeah.. and resistance was awesome.. was boring in the beginning but the further you got into the game, the better it became.

Check out my game about moles ^

I remember Halo on the Xbox and how my friend and I rushed to play it through on co-op and had some fun with multiplayer. It's a fun game no doubt, but it's not the best thing ever. Once the excitement lowers, you quickly realize the similar environments and the replay value goes down for me. In fact, I found it very difficult to even play through the campaign again when I received Halo on the PC as a gift.

On the PC, Halo didn't stand up to the other great PC games. I would love to comment on the PC version of Halo 2, but Microsoft shot itself in the foot when they put the magic words of "Vista Only" in the title.

I wont refute Halo being a popular series or having good traits, but I will not call it the best thing since sliced bread.
-----

On topic, I didn't think Resistance was that bad. The campaign had some cool moments, but I did get a little annoyed with how gun-ho Hale was that he'd rather go everywhere alone. Which kind of stinks because I think some of the coolest parts of the game are when there are lots of allies and enemies battling all around you.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Insomniac have done with the finished product in Resistance 2. I don't want to set expectations too high to overhype it, but I do believe that the people of Insomniac are good enough game makers (based on just their PS3 games) to have Resistance 2 improving on the first Resistance in many ways, maybe even completely.

Actually, the Resistance: Fall of Man campaign was really good. I don't see your point throughout that whole rant. It was the first game I ever had, right when the PS3 launched, and I played all the way through it before ever playing online.

And currently, I'm playing through it again in multiplayer with my girlfriend.

Your arguments are unfounded.

I couldn't get into it. I tried, but Resistance wasn't for me. Maybe because the game was already a year+ old when I tried it. Who knows.

I will try R2 while it's still fresh on the market. Maybe it'll change my opinion about the first one.

I loved the single player campaign and its story line. Great weapons, good graphics, great audio and IMO great online features.

Of course there may have been too much expectation with regard to graphics for this game, this because of the release of Gears of War on the 360 and the PS3 being more powerful. However Resistance: Fall of Man was based on a modified PS2 game engine tapping only a small amount of SPE power compared to now (you can only move some code onto the SPEs to have the game available for launch, it did so more than other launch games) and the engine wasn't supporting texture streaming yet. After all this time Gears is often still regarded as the best looking 360 game.

The game has a "super human" difficulty setting.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales