By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Western Digital's 2.5-inch to hit 1TB by early 2010

Western Digital's 2.5-inch to hit 1TB by early 2010

Western Digital (WD) and Fujitsu will likely have 1TB 2.5-inch disk drives available by early 2010 according to industry sources.

WD has just announced that it has started volume shipping its 500GB 2.5-inch Scorpio Blue drive, a notebook drive with 250GB per platter and a 5,400rpm spin speed. Seagate expects to ship its half terabyte 2.5-incher before the end of the year.

Our sources say WD and Fujitsu will have 750GB 2.5-inch drives by mid-2009 and 1 terabyte units by early 2010, if not the end of 2009. WD is building quite a track record of pipping Seagate by introducing notebook drives at progressively higher capacity points first, doing this with 250GB, 320GB and now 500GB models. This may not continue as Seagate has been catching up and will strive to match and exceed WD.

Seagate may well have its 750GB and 1TB notebook drives available before WD. ®

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/09/12/western_digital_2_5_inch_drive_roadmap/

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

I have no clue why the average consumer would ever need that much space.

ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

@ph4nt
Everyone will need this kind of space in a very short period of time. In the next 10 years the majority of people in first world countries will have most of their music, movies, TV shows, games, home video, and more all saved to hard drives. I have a 250GB in my PS3 right now and I only have 57GB left. My parents have a 320GB drive in their PS3 and right now they only have 31GB left in theirs.

I know this is just my family, but my parents only 3 years ago would not touch the internet. Now they only have an SDTV, and they don't really care about Blu-ray all that much. However they have been downloading movies like crazzy off of PSN, and my dad has put all of their CD's, and pictures on the PS3.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Holy hell.

What number of movies and stuff do they have on the PS3?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

but your forgetting all the movies, games, music, and pictures. but nice jab i suppose, really that it hurts your precious xbox with that comment. because with installs our load times are faster by a very small margin :p

That's pretty cool. I bet it will be pretty expensive for awhile though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

At least we actually own our own HDD!  MS's DRM is so bad it isn't even funny sometimes.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

kowenicki said:
starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

nice one. 

But its a good point, why would anyone need this in their laptop (or PS3 for that matter), now if we were talking a media server for all of your access points (360, PS3, laptop, music players etc) then it would make sense.  But carrying that much data around with you is insane!

i am waiting for the 500gb to put in my ps3. mainly because once i have it i will be purchasing lots of movies to have to watch forever and ever on my ps3.

KBG29 said:
@ph4nt
Everyone will need this kind of space in a very short period of time. In the next 10 years the majority of people in first world countries will have most of their music, movies, TV shows, games, home video, and more all saved to hard drives. I have a 250GB in my PS3 right now and I only have 57GB left. My parents have a 320GB drive in their PS3 and right now they only have 31GB left in theirs.

I know this is just my family, but my parents only 3 years ago would not touch the internet. Now they only have an SDTV, and they don't really care about Blu-ray all that much. However they have been downloading movies like crazzy off of PSN, and my dad has put all of their CD's, and pictures on the PS3.

I'd say the average consumer wouldn't have 1 TB of movies, music, games, shows, and movies on their computer.

I have a hard time filling up a 100 gig harddrive on my comp (but i do have a 500 gig external drive filled with like 30000 songs). I don't think digital distribution is going to be that huge when most people still think DVD and SDTV's are perfectly fine, I don't have a single minute of video on my comp, it's all on DVD's and will probably stay there. I think hard copies are going to be the norm for many years to come, there is just something better about owning an actual thing rather than data on a hard drive, plus if your drive gets corrupted, there goes everything.

I can see games within the next 10 years take up 50 gigs + each on a computer, so If you are a hardcore PC gamer it would probably help to have one, other than that I think it will be unnecesarry.