By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Western Digital's 2.5-inch to hit 1TB by early 2010

ph4nt said:
I have no clue why the average consumer would ever need that much space.

I Remember when people said that about 1GB drives.

I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be to long - Mitch Hedberg

Around the Network
SunRedRX7 said:
ph4nt said:

I Remember when people said that about 1GB drives.

Man, I'm so sick of that comment. Especially when in this case, the average consumer will probably never need more than that. Video quality is hitting maturity now, as music files did a few years ago. This means that video files will no longer be growing, in fact, they will be shrinking.

Microsoft have already announced that Windows 7 will be smaller and lighter than Vista, so that will be saving space.

Most documents and files will soon be stored via cloud cumputing, anyays. And very little will be stored locally.

Mark my words, large consumer HDDs (and SSDs) will be obselete in 15 years, as the majority of content will be stored elsewhere and accessed from the internet.

kowenicki said:
markers said:
kowenicki said:
starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

nice one. 

But its a good point, why would anyone need this in their laptop (or PS3 for that matter), now if we were talking a media server for all of your access points (360, PS3, laptop, music players etc) then it would make sense.  But carrying that much data around with you is insane!

i am waiting for the 500gb to put in my ps3. mainly because once i have it i will be purchasing lots of movies to have to watch forever and ever on my ps3.

Dont get me wrong... I have 320 gig on my PS3 but I wont be storing my media there it makes no sense. 

I have been looking into a media server of 1 or 2 TB for my home network for some time now.  This I can then access from my PS3, 360 and laptop in my home or via a slingbox anywhere in the world!! the world i tell you!!! mwaahahahahaaaaa!!!

O.o you are saying it makes no sense to store media on your ps3??? that is weird....i own a ps3 for multiple reasons

1. to play and enjoy all games that grace the presence of the ps3, including PSN titles.

2. to watch movies and trailers courtesy of the PSN.

3. to listen to my music without having to turn on my computer

4. to store/share pictures i have taken on my sony cyber shot (lol not advertising it i just have that camera)

5. to surf the net, again without having to turn on my computer

6. to meet and pwn new friends while gaming

now if you have a ps3 and do not use it for media reasons, especially sense you took the time and money to upgrade the hdd, then why do you have it, besides to enjoy all the latest and greatest games?

markers said:
kowenicki said:
markers said:
kowenicki said:
starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

nice one. 

But its a good point, why would anyone need this in their laptop (or PS3 for that matter), now if we were talking a media server for all of your access points (360, PS3, laptop, music players etc) then it would make sense.  But carrying that much data around with you is insane!

i am waiting for the 500gb to put in my ps3. mainly because once i have it i will be purchasing lots of movies to have to watch forever and ever on my ps3.

Dont get me wrong... I have 320 gig on my PS3 but I wont be storing my media there it makes no sense.

I have been looking into a media server of 1 or 2 TB for my home network for some time now.  This I can then access from my PS3, 360 and laptop in my home or via a slingbox anywhere in the world!! the world i tell you!!! mwaahahahahaaaaa!!!

O.o you are saying it makes no sense to store media on your ps3??? that is weird....i own a ps3 for multiple reasons

1. to play and enjoy all games that grace the presence of the ps3, including PSN titles.

4. to store/share pictures i have taken on my sony cyber shot (lol not advertising it i just have that camera)

now if you have a ps3 and do not use it for media reasons, especially sense you took the time and money to upgrade the hdd, then why do you have it, besides to enjoy all the latest and greatest games?

Y'know with a media center you can do all of those things with a 60gb PS3.

SamuelRSmith said:
markers said:
kowenicki said:
markers said:
kowenicki said:
starcraft said:
ph4nt said:

PS3 installs.

nice one. 

Y'know with a media center you can do all of those things with a 60gb PS3.

and thats what i do. i have a 60gb ps3 but i am running very low on space, and i cannot buy the hundreds of movies/ tv shows that i want because i have only 60gb. so thats why i stated i can not wait for the 500gb.