By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore vs. Casual

There was an interesting article up on Only a Game, which got linked to via Kotaku. 

http://onlyagame.typepad.com/only_a_game/2008/09/redefining-hardcore-casual.html

Basically, they did a bunch of surveys of gamers. The ones who identify as 'hardcore gamers' tend to be more emotionally engrossed by games and claim to be better at all types of games compared to casuals, as well as play more than casuals, but people who identify as 'casual gamers' still play a lot of games (~50% play every day) and claim to be knowledgable about games.

So, what do you guys think? I've always heard the characterization of casual gamers as 'some idiot who only knows how to waggle wii sports and bought a wii for christmas and never plays it again lol', which, according to this survey, is entirely untrue.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network

Um............ uuuhhhh....... Hardcore and Casual gamers both play a decent amount of games........ but Hardcore are usually better gamers???

Sorry.. I just can't get anything else out of this...

4 ≈ One

it is untrue, the world is not so black and white.harcore is usualy used to describe, 'cool'

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

I like the analysis, finally people are starting to see that this terms are very different from what many people think.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Well, the survey let people define themselves. And being a "hardcore" gamer comes with a stigma attached, and not a good one. So of course more people will identify with the casual crowd.

Plus, what we bandy around as casual is really the extreme extreme of casual, like maybe an elderly lady who buys WiiFit to stay in shape. Casual gaming is a whole lot broader than any of us would think. Hell, you can argue that Halo and GTA are "casual."

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Um............ uuuhhhh....... Hardcore and Casual gamers both play a decent amount of games........ but Hardcore are usually better gamers???

Sorry.. I just can't get anything else out of this...

Completely incorrect. A large part of the article's thesis is that the casual/snobcore split is much too loaded, and that it carries far too many differing definitions, to be of any value. Instead, the article focuses on a study, which shows that self-identified "casual" gamers often prefer games that do not punish the player for errors, whereas the self-identified snobcore are much more masochistic that way.To quote the last paragraph in full:

"If we want to better understand the marketplace for games, perhaps we should start thinking in terms of two very different splits. The split between game literate gamer hobbyists, and less experienced mass market players on the one hand, and players seeking punishing play (challenge-oriented, fiero-seeking players – perhaps we might call them punishers, or punishing players, that is, players seeking punishing games) and players seeking forgiving play (forgivers, or forgiving players, that is, players seeking forgiving games) on the other. Hardcore and Casual is a compromised terminology – it means too many different things, and it no longer reflects the state of the marketplace. The time has come to move forward into a new language for describing the basic splits in the audience for videogames."

That said, I can already see why the study might be flawed (self-identified? Is that really the wisest way to go about it?).

I also fervently disagree with the thesis. To continue to have divides of any sort is counter-productive, both for developers and for us gamers. There are too many games that appeal to both sides of the aisle to think that there is truly some magical divide between "us" and "them." To pretend otherwise will result in games that pander to one segment of the population by being watered-down drivel which the developer only thinks appeals to "casuals."

Instead, the article was much more persuasive in the opening, when it wrote that the mass-market who does not traditionally play games is much more interested in accessibility and flexibility, two qualities which arguably appeal just as much to traditional gamers. After all, while most of us would be willing to learn a highly complex control scheme if it let us play a great game (think Rockstar's Table Tennis), even we would much prefer to have the same depth, but with greater ease of use (think Rockstar's Table Tennis with Wii Motion Plus...).

By abolishing these ridiculous notions of some divide, I believe that developers will not only be able to make their game appeal to the vast majority of the populace, but they will also improve the quality of their games. Of course, what I just proposed takes time, thought, and talent, three T's which many developers lack, so it's a pipe dream of sorts. Still, what else is theory if not the pipe dreams of armchair thinkers?

By my standards, 90% of this site are casual gamers. However, it's up to the player to decide if they're casual or not.