By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Dragon Quest game?

I would say 4 is my favourite, but obviously I have a fairly large bias towards it considering the number of times I played it and that it was one of the first really great RPGs I ever played; it was between this and Phantasy Star 2.

The one thing 3 had over 4 (from my childhood memories) was that 3 had way more monster arena stuff that I liked. That was a major thing back in the day.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Although after finishing 5, I can say that 5 is my favourite now. 8 is also very good, but too spread out in a similar way to FF12 (though not nearly as bad). Dragon Quest 5 is now among my favourite RPGs of all time; it is a very powerful game. I LOVE how there is so much optional commentary from the different characters after almost every room, event, and person spoken to; it gives the game tremendous depth, and it is implemented very well (it wasn't in DQ8).

The only 3D RPG I have played that has really done the whole large world thing correctly is Skies of Arcadia (in my opinion). Xenosaga and FF10 are good, but they don't follow the SoA/FF12/DQ8 style of play.

3 n 5 are very popular in japan, but i like 4

↑ drawn by Tino Vainamoinen aka ex-NFG.  thx 

へんたい from japan, sorry.my english is suck,so plain english plz.  thx

To me it's DQV without a doubt :)

It's also one of the best overall stories i've ever seen in a video game, plus the whole generational leap is very well done.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I've played them all with the exception of VI, and my favourites are V and VII. V has my favourite story in the entire series, and VII has the most rewarding gameplay/job system.

Around the Network

why DQ series didnt huge succes like FF in overseas?

ppl needs better graphics n good looking hero ?

↑ drawn by Tino Vainamoinen aka ex-NFG.  thx 

へんたい from japan, sorry.my english is suck,so plain english plz.  thx

III, V and VIII. However, never played more than III, IV, V and VIII. (IV is also nice, but i didn't like the way the story was splited)

I also only played DQVIII and it was more than awesome.

played III, IV, V, VIII and completed IV and V. DQV is one of the best RPG games, not the best. IV was fresh since it introduced the chapters(stories) for each supporting parties before everyone meets in Chapter 5.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

taq1109 said:
why DQ series didnt huge succes like FF in overseas?

ppl needs better graphics n good looking hero ?

Marketing is the reason, in my opinion. I don't think graphics are the major deal, look how popular Wii and DS are this generation, with weaker graphical technology. It's not like the DQ games are ugly or anything, they have some very good art in them. I do think it has the appeal that it could be a very popular series outside of Japan. It just needs to have the proper channels for getting the word of the game into people's ears, and the game itself into player's hands.

Anyway, the irony is that the game was made with a western market in mind. Considering the game was medieval fantasy, it wasn't expected by anyone to do very well in Japan. The first one was a surprise hit, and the series has never had a weak moment, and has trended upwards in popularity since it was introduced.