By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Dragon Quest game?

I only played VIII and a few spinoffs. I plan on getting all of the DS remakes and IX. I just want to know what is in your opinion the best of the series. Please name the games you have played aswell.

Around the Network

If you have a GBA you could get even DQ 1,2,3 remakes

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

celine said:
If you have a GBA you could get even DQ 1,2,3 remakes

I'll get them as well then.

I never completed a DQ games ( because with the exception of DQ8 they were never released in Europe ).
However I put a lot of hours in DQ 4,5 and 6 ( the Zenithia trilogy ) and a few in DQ 3.

My favourite is the 6th. But i could change mnd when I will play both with the same engineon DS ( or maybe when I'll get DQ9 ).

What I think is great about DQ is that every episode has a theme around it is developed:

DQ1: Origin of the saga. Inspired by Ultima and D&D.

DQ2: A simple upgrade ( think SMB1 -> SMB2 JAP ).

DQ3: Introduce the party. You can create a brand new party at the beginning in a guild. Introduce the Job System.

DQ4 ( 1990 ): Game composed in 5 distinct chapter where in first 4 you play as your ( the hero ) companions. One of these characters was so appreciate that it spawn spin off ( Torneko ).

DQ5 (1992 ): You begin controlling a really young hero that follow his father around the world. You see the hero grow older, marry ( you chose the wise ) and make a family. In this game you can have monsters like companions and grow them ( remember you something? ).

DQ6 ( 1995 ): There is two worlds one the real one and the other is the reverie/dream one. This is hilarious because what is good in one could be evil in the other or if someone dream something the real world then this is reflected in the dream world. This game has an expanded job system.

DQ7 ( 2000 ): This game revolve around the concept of time ( a la Chrono trigger ). If you change the past you modify the future. This game is insanely long.

Here an excellent article if you are interested in know more about the serie:
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/dragonquest/dragonquest.htm

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Played DQVIII but I never beated it as I stopped playing it after 20 hours. Don't plan to finish it anytime soon

Around the Network

I think my favorites thus far are VII and V. I liked II back in the day as well.

VII has a pretty good story and takes quite a long time. In fact I still haven't finished the game, even though I've put over 100 hours into it! Well I just need the last part, but I was leveling up my characters job skills, hehe.

I'm still in the middle of V, but I like it so far. I'm playing the PS2 version. I'm also currently playing the re-make of III on the Super Famicom. It's also pretty good, but I'm not as into it as I was II awhile back.(I also played 1 a long time ago too)

I also have VI (Super Famicom), but I'm not going to play it until I clear V probably. I also bought VIII, but I haven't gotten around to playing it, yet. I also need to borrow IV(DS) from my GF so I can give that a go through.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Nevermind, I see you've already played VIII

I beat DQ 1 (Dragon Warrior 1 in the US) it was a great game, played number 7 for PS1 and it seemed behind the times, other than that my exposure to the series is limted but the first was a masterpiece.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

I am in the middle of 5 on DS. I played only III and IV on NES back in the day. The next Dragon Quest game I played was 7 but didn't finish it when I found out that after around 30-40 hours I was only a quarter through. I played the re-release of Dragon Quest 3 on GBC which was a nice return to classics and finished it. Then I got 8 but still have yet to get around to it. I finished the DS remmake of 4 twice, love it. I am currently in the teen years of Dragon Quest 5 which is what I am playing now.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

All Dqs are good games. DQ7 or Dragon Warrior 7 for Playstation is my favorite. DQ8 is the prettiest for sure and DS enhanced remakes are all good as well (4 and 5).