By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2009: The Wii finally comes of age

r3av3r2k1 said:
ph4nt said:
r3av3r2k1 said:
astrosmash said:
BMaker11 said:
It's subjective, I guess, but the Wii is going to be the one console that wins NOT because it has the best games....ironic, ain't it?

Best games is not what wins a generation, its most games. Size and breadth (variety) of a consoles library are what bring in the masses (or don't when they are lacking) in the back half of a generation.

Just some examples of what I'm saying:

• gen 2 - Intellivision and Coleco had games that blew away anthing on the Atari, but Atari's library was sooooo much bigger
  • gen 4 - Similar libraries, similar sales
  • gen 5 - some of the highest rated games of all time were on the N64, but the huge library belonged to the PS
  • gen 6 - largest library in history, and largest sales in history both to the PS2

There are numerous factors that determine the generation winner and one of them is best library of games not the amount of games the console has

ps1 had a infinitely better library of games then the n64 despite n64 having 2 of the best games ever made, but they were to few as the ps1 library didn't have a mario 64 or zelda it had dozens of games that came close to them, and that is what's important, a large amount of quality games is one of the most important factors for a consoles success not quantity

ps2 had the same thing going for it, a huge list of great games that appealed to everyone something the competition didn't have

so far from the games announced for 09 wii doesnt seem to have that great of a line up for next year i meen its good but not at the level this topic is making it out to be of course some of the higher profile games probably are still to be announced for next year so that situation may change but for now nothing more then an ok lineup for 09

But see thats your opinion that the PS1 had a better library, as far as i'm concerned N64 had the most quality games, even more than the PS2.

no thats not my opinion its a fact, only nintendo fans dont like to believe this is a fact in your opinion n64 had a better library and thats just fine people like what they like but the majoritty of the gamming comunitty says otherwise

i ownd a n64 and never owned a ps1 there were 3 games that made the console worthwile zelda and mario for the single player experience and mario cart for multyplayer and thats it and its my opinion

the fact ps1 had a better library than n64 in not an opinion its a fact

Why do you guys make it so easy?

How come it has the most highly-regarded console FPS ever, AND its' highly popular follow-up?

And there's definitely not two platforming games starring a certain bear and bird who've recently risen to prominence again...

Nope, no Mario Party either...

Or Conker's Bad Fur Day

Or Mortal Kombat 4

Or Diddy Kong Racing

Or Star Fox 64

Or Shadows of the Empire

Or Rogue Squadron

Or Super Smash Bros

Nope, it definitely had none of those.

The 'majoritty' of the gaming community says that the PS1 had a LARGER library.  THAT is a fact.  THAT is something that can be backed up by numbers--the PS1 had more games.

However, try asking the general gaming community which one had more of the best games of all time--I'm sure you'll find the answer interesting.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Madworld is on my radar for 2009, everything else is basically wait and see or just doesn't look interesting. I hope to see some really special third party games on Wii in 2009.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

BMaker11 said:
Mario?

Hasn't Mario scored really high on every system? If that was the case, why did the GCN and the N64 do terribly?

You can look at the score, or the sales, still the game will end up as the best or one of the best, your point is invalid :)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
thekitchensink said:
r3av3r2k1 said:
ph4nt said:
r3av3r2k1 said:
astrosmash said:
BMaker11 said:
It's subjective, I guess, but the Wii is going to be the one console that wins NOT because it has the best games....ironic, ain't it?

Best games is not what wins a generation, its most games. Size and breadth (variety) of a consoles library are what bring in the masses (or don't when they are lacking) in the back half of a generation.

• gen 2 - Intellivision and Coleco had games that blew away anthing on the Atari, but Atari's library was sooooo much bigger
  • gen 5 - some of the highest rated games of all time were on the N64, but the huge library belonged to the PS
  • gen 6 - largest library in history, and largest sales in history both to the PS2

There are numerous factors that determine the generation winner and one of them is best library of games not the amount of games the console has

ps1 had a infinitely better library of games then the n64 despite n64 having 2 of the best games ever made, but they were to few as the ps1 library didn't have a mario 64 or zelda it had dozens of games that came close to them, and that is what's important, a large amount of quality games is one of the most important factors for a consoles success not quantity

ps2 had the same thing going for it, a huge list of great games that appealed to everyone something the competition didn't have

so far from the games announced for 09 wii doesnt seem to have that great of a line up for next year i meen its good but not at the level this topic is making it out to be of course some of the higher profile games probably are still to be announced for next year so that situation may change but for now nothing more then an ok lineup for 09

But see thats your opinion that the PS1 had a better library, as far as i'm concerned N64 had the most quality games, even more than the PS2.

no thats not my opinion its a fact, only nintendo fans dont like to believe this is a fact in your opinion n64 had a better library and thats just fine people like what they like but the majoritty of the gamming comunitty says otherwise

i ownd a n64 and never owned a ps1 there were 3 games that made the console worthwile zelda and mario for the single player experience and mario cart for multyplayer and thats it and its my opinion

How come it has the most highly-regarded console FPS ever, AND its' highly popular follow-up?

And there's definitely not two platforming games starring a certain bear and bird who've recently risen to prominence again...

Or Conker's Bad Fur Day

Or Mortal Kombat 4

Or Diddy Kong Racing

Or Star Fox 64

Or Shadows of the Empire

Or Rogue Squadron

Or Super Smash Bros

The 'majoritty' of the gaming community says that the PS1 had a LARGER library.  THAT is a fact.  THAT is something that can be backed up by numbers--the PS1 had more games.

However, try asking the general gaming community which one had more of the best games of all time--I'm sure you'll find the answer interesting.

why do you guys make it so easy i just dont get it

i said ps1 had a larger amount of quality games and thats a fact, not opinioni never said it had the best games

ps1 has 86 games averaging 80 plus 

n64 has 44 averaging 80 plusacording to metacritic

again these are the facts, if u like the n64 lineup better thats ok but its your opinion not fact

ya, im glad its getting there. i can already name atleast 10 wii games i'm going to buy between now and summer of next year, where i can only name 1 for PS3 (unless FFXIII gets a release date, or KH3 is announced for PS3.)

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:

2009 will be the year of the wii. You just remember that

Oh diomedes, why it doesnt surprise me?? You attitud of believing that everythin you like is the best...or that everybody thinks the same way as you??? IMO, wii has better games...why? because those are the games that like. And like someone say, don't combine the X360 and the ps3. The ps3 is by far the one with the worst catalog out there imo. And i see a lot of games being announce for the wii....i mean, if you just read the thread (this one) you will actually see it.

Stop with your nonsense [that one that made you famous everywhere] and enjoy your console, and the games coming for it. Instead of saying that the wii has no (good) games to come. And especially because you use the flop argument. A lot of great games dont have the sells they deserve. But that doesnt makes it less of a great game.

Grow up dude

The PS3 has like 50 games over 80% in metacritic.The Wii has 24 ,and most of them (Zelda,RE4,Okami) are PS2-Cube ports.This is fact.Now stop trying to argue about something as clear as that.

r3av3r2k1 said:
thekitchensink said:
r3av3r2k1 said:
ph4nt said:
r3av3r2k1 said:
astrosmash said:
BMaker11 said:

Or Conker's Bad Fur Day

Or Mortal Kombat 4

Or Diddy Kong Racing

Or Star Fox 64

Or Shadows of the Empire

Or Rogue Squadron

Or Super Smash Bros

why do you guys make it so easy i just dont get it

i said ps1 had a larger amount of quality games and thats a fact, not opinioni never said it had the best games

ps1 has 86 games averaging 80 plus 

n64 has 44 averaging 80 plusacording to metacritic

again these are the facts, if u like the n64 lineup better thats ok but its your opinion not fact

Uh... try reading the post you quote next time.  I clearly stated:

"The 'majoritty' of the gaming community says that the PS1 had a LARGER library.  THAT is a fact.  THAT is something that can be backed up by numbers--the PS1 had more games."

The PS1 has a larger variety of 'very good' games.

However, inside the N64's smaller number, there are more of what most consider to be among the best of all time.

And by the way, my list was to respond to your 'N64 has only 3 worthwhile games' comment.

And the only fact is that NEITHER of them has a 'better' library that everyone will agree on.  You like the Playstation library better, therefore it has the better lineup for you.  I like the N64 lineup better, therefore it has the better lineup for me.  That is all there is to it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

It is kind of funny that for all the promises of "potential" the PS3 and its fandom make, the Wii seems to be the only console making good on any change. but even then there is still much left to chance.

I see worry in comments of people like Jo21, Yushire, Dystopian Delight, BMaker11, slimeattack, Diomedes1976 and r3av3r2k1. How easily you all forget your own fandoms pitiful claims of 2007 then 2008 being the years for the PS3 and even now you continue on making claims of hope for the PS4 and PSP. Certainly the Nintendo fandom has hoped for better games every year but don't mistake the Nintendo fandom optimism for the Sony fandom's desperation. At least now there is actually signs of change in favor of the Wii, perhaps 2009 won't be the best year for the Wii, but there is more evidence for that then there has ever been for the PS3 making any revival.

The Wii was a safe and tollerable annoyance for all of you so long as it didn't start stealing ground from the PS3, but that's exactly what we're seeing happening. And with the 360 price cut and the PSP dropping back beneath the DS in Japan you're all scared and looking for a scapegoat, someone to lash out at to make yourselves feel better about the current setbacks for Sony.

How transparent your motives and fears are.

Diomedes1976 said:

The PS3 has like 50 games over 80% in metacritic.The Wii has 24 ,and most of them (Zelda,RE4,Okami) are PS2-Cube ports.This is fact.Now stop trying to argue about something as clear as that.

Your "facts" are basically (and only) another mans opinion. I mean your views in pretty much everything are already pathetic, but now resorting to using other peoples opinions to help back up your trolling? I lol heartily,

Onimusha12 said:
It is kind of funny that for all the promises of "potential" the PS3 and its fandom make, the Wii seems to be the only console making good on any change. but even then there is still much left to chance.

I see worry in comments of people like Jo21, Yushire, Dystopian Delight, BMaker11, slimeattack, Diomedes1976 and r3av3r2k1. How easily you all forget your own fandoms pitiful claims of 2007 then 2008 being the years for the PS3 and even now you continue on making claims of hope for the PS4 and PSP. Certainly the Nintendo fandom has hoped for better games every year but don't mistake the Nintendo fandom optimism for the Sony fandom's desperation. At least now there is actually signs of change in favor of the Wii, perhaps 2009 won't be the best year for the Wii, but there is more evidence for that then there has ever been for the PS3 making any revival.

The Wii was a safe and tollerable annoyance for all of you so long as it didn't start stealing ground from the PS3, but that's exactly what we're seeing happening. And with the 360 price cut and the PSP dropping back beneath the DS in Japan you're all scared and looking for a scapegoat, someone to lash out at to make yourselves feel better about the current setbacks for Sony.

How transparent your motives and fears are.

Hehe I actually have enjoyed more 360 games than ps3 games, I only bought a ps3 because of bc if I wouldnt have got a BC one I would definately own a 360. It's ok though marginalize all the motives of anyone with a dissenting opinion. In the end you can be as big a close minded fandom hypocrite as you would like cause in end it doesnt really matter as long as you have games to play. And remember you don't wanna play with matches or else you'll burn that strawman with ya 

@<:D

Can love bloom on the battlefield?                 Proud supporter of this gen!!!