By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Not Meeting Sales Expectations?

mibuokami said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Seriously, it was a one liner offhanded comment that you blew out of proportion, the man clearly stated 'this gen', the key word here is 'gen', which colloquially speaking is often use to describe home consoles, the current being the seventh gen, which includes wii/ps3/360.

Whether his statement is correct or not can be debatable, but your attack on the technicality of a word used here in fair context is just silly.

Either this is a dummy account, or this poster picked a hell of a thing to join in for. If the latter, that was not an offhand comment. That user makes comments like that all the time, and treats them as gospel, no matter how the facts or reason prove them wrong.

Not only that, he defended his comment fiercely, despite being shown that it was obviously incorrect. Quantifying it after it was posted is something you do when you just don't want others to tell you, you were wrong. The correct thing for him to do was to say, "Oops, my statement was incorrect." Not move the goalposts, and act like games that don't fit with his statement dont' count for whatever reason, and we should have known that previously.

If the joke account guy wants to defend someone, he should follow me around, there are plenty of embellishing fanboys who need defending, but don't deserve it, that could use his services.

Not a dummy account, I'm from Australia btw : )

I'm merely pointing out that he made a one liner that is used here in correct context (the current gen = wii/ps3/360). I have no idea if GTA4 is the most successful game in term of sale or not nor do I really care, but at least criticise someone for something legitimate (eg: you are wrong because Guitar Hero is the most successful game release in the current gen - again no idea just an example) instead of over analyzing a statement that have so many different interpretation with one of which supporting his view.

Anyways, since I am new here, there is no way I can know that one liner comments like that could be gospel material, I bow to common sense and it obviously failed here if what you said is true. Cheers

edit: Wait isn't Wii Play more successfull anyways? Please correct if I'm wrong.

Handhelds are counted as part of a generation, unless specifically excluded. It's mainly fanboys, of either side, that try to exclude them by default.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Fair enough, I concede your point, perhaps its just me but when someone says current gen I automatically assume wii/ps3/360... anyways the distinction is being made, thanks for the pointer.

Wow, 8.5 million is slow? You'd think with the 50 million MS gave them and the profits from 8.5 million copies they'd be happy, I guess this is why you don't put all your chips on double zero.

Guitar Hero III sold more than GTAIV. MK and Wii Fit will probably beat them both eventually.

FishyJoe said:
Guitar Hero III sold more than GTAIV. MK and Wii Fit will probably beat them both eventually.

For that matter, so did Call of Duty 4, Nintendogs, Wii Play, Both of the DS Brain Age games, and Animal Crossing DS. I'd be willing to wager good money that all of these games combined probably cost less to develop than GTA IV, before advertising...

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
FishyJoe said:

For that matter, so did Call of Duty 4, Nintendogs, Wii Play, Both of the DS Brain Age games, and Animal Crossing DS. I'd be willing to wager good money that all of these games combined probably cost less to develop than GTA IV, before advertising...

I don't think there is any doubt all these games combined cost less than GTAIV to create. It probably even cost less than just what MS paid for the DLC.

mibuokami said:

Fair enough, I concede your point, perhaps its just me but when someone says current gen I automatically assume wii/ps3/360... anyways the distinction is being made, thanks for the pointer.

Well if handhelds are outselling some of the main consoles, which also applied in the last few gens, plus handhelds now have some AAA franchises (Dragon Quest IX), then handhelds do count.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I noticed that people aren't (once again) looking at the thing in proper context.
The developement time is one of the keywords here. If you spend 1,5 years on a game developement and the game sells 10 million, it equals a game that have been 3 years in developement and sells 20 million. GTA4 would need to make additional money to offset the longer developement time in comparision to previous installments.
Of course, GTA4 propably has better profit margins (outside dev costs) than the previous games, the DLC is yet to come (although lower than expected sales means lower than expected sales for DLC) and the PC port isn't out yet, so there's still plenty of money to make. But what do the sales mean, is that the next GTA isn't going to cost 100M to make and maybe EA will take over TT.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.